All About the Benjamins

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only been searching halves for a short while, so forgive me if this post contains a plethora of ignorance.

I have this fantasy goal of one day completing a full set of Franklin halves entirely from CRH. There's lots of reasons why this is a ridiculous, stupid, unattainable goal. But the naive reasons why I feel it might be remotely possible are:
  1. I see you guys pulling Franklins all the time.
  2. Based on the mintage numbers, there don't seem to be any particularly rare coins in this set.

Granted, I haven't come across a single Ben yet - but I've searched less total boxes so far than TimZim searches in any given week. I see this as a "lifetime goal" type of project - not expecting it to come quickly.

So here are my questions: 1) How often do you find a Benjamin Franklin? Is anyone keeping good stats on this, like 1 in every X boxes? And 2) aside from what the mintage numbers say, are there any Bens that people just. don't. find. in roll searching?

I'd be curious as to what some of you seasoned veterans have to say about this. Is anyone else working (actively or passively) on putting this set together? How many unique ones have you found?

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"plethora of ignorance", hahaha I love that. gonna use that on my students tomorrow! "you are all drowning in a plethora of ignorance"

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hard but not impossible. In seven years I'm almost there. Only missing 4

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130829_171250.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_171250.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20130829_171309.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_171309.png
    225.7 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20130829_171334.png
    ForumRunner_20130829_171334.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 97

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive actually pulled more bens than kens 3/2

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Jamesandsons - I'm fairly new at this as well but I do keep very detailed records and so far in 2013 I'm finding 1 Franklin for every $5,221 in halves I searched. Good luck with your search, I don't the idea of finding a full set of Franklins is unattainable.

James - I picked up another Franklin today. They're out there.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I have been working on a Franklin book for at least 3 or 4 years now and have found 17 of the 35 coins even though a couple of those are just fillers, condition wise. The five early years with the S mint marks are the only years with three coins in my book so most years are only P and D's. I haven't found any of the older S mint marks yet but about 3/4 of the other ones I have found are in good condition and when ever I find one I check to fill a spot of if it is in better condition than what I already have. I think the most I ever found at once was 5 or 7, usually it is one or two here and there. You should have no trouble putting together a set if your in no hurry to get it done. I don't do more than 3 or 4 boxes a week and most times only 1 or 2 a week. Good luck to you with it and HH.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started on Feb 15, 2008 and now I only need 1955. I think at least a few members (Mountainman2, LJ, and ???) here have done that. My average is 1 ben per $4237 searched over more than 5 years.

Computer Jones

Oct 23, 2012
The Great Pacific North Wet. (I can see Canada whe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRH for over 12 years now. (All those years wasted just looking at change!).
I have 3 sets of Frankies complete except for the "55's".
Not MS grade, but they fill the hole in the books.
I've seen those '55's in coin stores, so I know they made them.
I'll find those missing "55's sooner or (probably much) later.
Keep looking and you'll find 'em (at least that's what I tell myself).

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The '55 is tough, I was lucky enough to stumble on a collection dump with a nice AU example.

Took some pics, I apparently only have two holes left.
20130830_005317.jpg~original

20130830_005604.jpg~original

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since Jan 2012 I have found 73 Franklins... The problem is that there are alot of some years and none of some. Think about trading some of the doubles with other CR hunters to complete the set? Is that cheating? When it comes to grading franklins can be graded Full bell lines or not, which makes it unlikely that you'll find pristine coins. But if all your looking to do is fill a hole... It can be done. Happy hunting.

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
I find one about every 20 boxes. I do not assemble sets. they go directly into a ben franklin designated coin tube, then eventually over to the off-site, secure holding facility.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since Jan 2012 I have found 73 Franklins... The problem is that there are alot of some years and none of some. Think about trading some of the doubles with other CR hunters to complete the set? Is that cheating? When it comes to grading franklins can be graded Full bell lines or not, which makes it unlikely that you'll find pristine coins. But if all your looking to do is fill a hole... It can be done. Happy hunting.

There aren't any official rules. Some people like the sense of accomplishment of finding every single coin themselves. Others feel accomplished by putting a set together through trades of their duplicates & other CRH finds. Whatever makes you happy.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night in a box of halves I found a 1962 Franklin, 1964 Kennedy & 3 40% halves.

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been waiting for the day when I could finally reopen this thread.

ben2.jpg

One's a P and one's a D.

That's two down, 33 to go.

Every single box I've opened I've been expecting to find my first Ben. Tonight, on my 4th box of the night, my 5th box of the month, and my 39th box of the year, I finally hit pay dirt. Those two Bens plus a super-clean 64 were the last box. I got a total of one '66 from the previous 3 boxes.

Can't wait to find my next one.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been waiting for the day when I could finally reopen this thread.

View attachment 955864

One's a P and one's a D.

That's two down, 33 to go.

Every single box I've opened I've been expecting to find my first Ben. Tonight, on my 4th box of the night, my 5th box of the month, and my 39th box of the year, I finally hit pay dirt. Those two Bens plus a super-clean 64 were the last box. I got a total of one '66 from the previous 3 boxes.

Can't wait to find my next one.

Congrats, still looking for my first pre-'64 half!

:)

Nice finds!

georgia boy

Feb 4, 2014
Georgia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found more walkers than bens! so you never know. Good luck with the collection!

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally a thread worth speaking up on and not worrying about it going to **** right away.... This brings back great memories of my first Ben find which also happen to be my first 90%. Good old 1958 Ben. I remember it like yesterday! This year has been different I have a 3 way tie of 90s JFK, Ben, walker about 5 each. Good luck on filling those albums someday I will take them and sort them just might do that when I get out of CRH so I have something to do then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread