mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have heard the Excalibur is a all around machine. I just got minea couple weeks ago and I have only gotten out once with it. But I can not wait to learn it to see what it can do......Matt

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The Garrett Infinium seems to be the deepest and best all around water and land detector, from what I've read. rockhound

M

miser

Most everyone will recommend Excalibur since it has th epower to knock out iron, but I would look at the Tesoro Tiger Shark also, if they ever start making it again. ???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are like golf clubs, there is really no one do-it-all detector.....It is like asking what single golf club should I buy to go golfing......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Detectors are like golf clubs, there is really no one do-it-all detector.....It is like asking what single golf club should I buy to go golfing......

So true. I have an Excal but it's not the best relic machine. If I had to choose one single machine to do it all, I'd personally have to choose the Fisher CZ-20, & 21, it's also the main reason I own them.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 1280x and was surprised at how good of a land detector it is.Good depth and good discrimination. The negatives are that it gets noisey in salt water and is a bit heavy but you can get a used one at a bargin these days. I have enjoyed mine thus far.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Sov.GT fantastic in wet sand and shallow water and field hunting as well cant be beat the excal II is not a dry land detector Dd60

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:

Water detectors are still good on land but are built heavier for the water. They can be hip mounted though. The CZ-20 or 21 has a good pinpoint for grass work but some like the Excal for land, I don't. I used the Sov GT or land sometimes but have fallen in love with the light weight of the Tesoro Tejon. I don't know how it would do on wet saltwater sand but have an idea that it would be unstable.

OP
OP
Frank1960

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
all the water around here is fresh so don't have to worry about salt. A friend loaned me his Garrett Sea Hunter XT500 so hopefully going to get out to the water and give it a try soon. Think it might be best to just have a water detector and a land detector in the long run. Just don't know how much water detecting I will be doing and didn't want it just sitting there. Figured with a water detector I could detect on land even in rain. Thanks for all the advice folks appreciate it!

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Get a Fisher 1280X with the chest mount you'll love it :icon_thumright:

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
If you need depth on iron relics, look at the Garret Infinium. Waterproof to 200 feet,
great for beach, nuggets, and relics. Real deep on coins, but doesn't have a good
enough discriminator for most coin hunting. Like they say, different machines for
different jobs.
Good luck
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread