ALL COPPER DIME !!!! REAL DEAL

ryanbubbasdad

Greenie
May 30, 2011
SORRY PHOTOS ARE SO BIG
its has been conformed by local reputible coin shop that it is indeed struck without cladding just wanted to share it with you all and maybe open some silver only searchers eyes as this coin has for me ( i found it edge searching ). i browse here every once in a while but i had to post this to share with you all. sorry photos are sooooo big . also if you can help its in the determine value section of the forum .
thanks and good luck to all the fellow roll hunters out there

Attachments

• copper dime.jpg
    copper dime.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 3,053
  • copper dime.jpg
    copper dime.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 1,391
  • use sopper dime.jpg
    use sopper dime.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 3,098
Upvote 0

Metalmole

Apr 6, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
White's Classic ID, XLT spectrum, Coinmaster TR, Whites Prizm 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
R

ryanbubbasdad

Greenie
May 30, 2011
they said aroud 400 to 500 . but it seems lowball to me . i dont know the value i was hoping someone could help with that and maybe a grade i can get better pics if needed

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
The only way to know for sure if it is a true error, other than sending it to a reputable coin grader, is to simply weigh it.

If you have an accurate scale that measures such a small object you should be able to tell if it weighs less than a normal dime. If it is missing layers it should weigh less than normal.

Jim

OP
OP
R

ryanbubbasdad

Greenie
May 30, 2011
thank you ive weight on the only scale i have and its the same weight but its a cheap (crappy) scale. also i read another thread here or somewhere else explaining how copper was as dense or has the same spcfic grav as cu-pronickel (or whatever it is) so if you had the two blanks that were relatively the same size they would be the same weight ( they are the same size/thickness ) this appears to be a coin that was struck this way not that the cladding fell off or came detached . idk i guess it depends on if after the cladding is attached to the blanks sheet is ran through a sheet press to make them the same thickness if so (and this is what the coin shop explained to me) it very rarely occurs at the end of a sheet. also im kinda scared to send it off. ive never had a coin graded . which would be the best one of the top ones to send it to. and how do i mail it???? please someone with experience give me a guiding hand.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
ryanbubbasdad said:
thank you ive weight on the only scale i have and its the same weight but its a cheap (crappy) scale. also i read another thread here or somewhere else explaining how copper was as dense or has the same spcfic grav as cu-pronickel (or whatever it is) so if you had the two blanks that were relatively the same size they would be the same weight ( they are the same size/thickness ) this appears to be a coin that was struck this way not that the cladding fell off or came detached . idk i guess it depends on if after the cladding is attached to the blanks sheet is ran through a sheet press to make them the same thickness if so (and this is what the coin shop explained to me) it very rarely occurs at the end of a sheet. also im kinda scared to send it off. ive never had a coin graded . which would be the best one of the top ones to send it to. and how do i mail it???? please someone with experience give me a guiding hand.

I don't think anyone will be able to say just from photos if it is a true mint error. I am not by any means an error expert, but I do know a lot about the coin business. If you have a desire to get the most $$$$ from your coin, it will need to be in a slab from a reputable coin grader that lists it as a mint error. For example, if it is in a PCGS, NGC, etc holder that lists it as an error coin, nobody will doubt it. If you really believe it is an error coin, it might be worth the cost to have it graded.

The issue of copper dimes has been discussed on other coin forums and if you google "copper dime error coin" you will find the links pretty easily. Many possibilities are discussed in those threads.

Hopefully it is the real deal and you will make lots of dough.

Jim

OP
OP
R

ryanbubbasdad

Greenie
May 30, 2011
blkcwbyhat said:
I'd be more inclined to think it has been acid washed to remove the silver.

but theres no type of pitting or anything like that... idk i originally just wanted to show ya'll

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
If this turns out to be real,fantastic find!! But,off the top of my head,and the pics...hard to believe that the mint let a sheet of clad with flaws go thru the system.The plater's missed it,the mint missed it,and I'd assume that there are more than 1 out there if it were a "bad" sheet of clad.If it were missing the silver plating,would it be thick enough to have such a good strike?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
There have been specimens that are missing their coating. Anywhere from 50% to 100 %. The best thing to do is to send it in to PCGS. If you ever want to sell the coin, the only way that it's going to sell for the most money is to have it in a slab by PCGS. Otherwise, there would still be sceptics. I'm not saying that it's not real because I don't know but once in a PCGS slab, it will realize its full value.

OP
OP
R

ryanbubbasdad

Greenie
May 30, 2011
blkcwbyhat said:
If this turns out to be real,fantastic find!! But,off the top of my head,and the pics...hard to believe that the mint let a sheet of clad with flaws go thru the system.The plater's missed it,the mint missed it,and I'd assume that there are more than 1 out there if it were a "bad" sheet of clad.If it were missing the silver plating,would it be thick enough to have such a good strike?

before you bash you should read what i wrote earlier, ive relisted it below. and what happend to the support of fellows. i just wanted to show not fight

"" idk i guess it depends on if after the cladding is attached to the blanks sheet is ran through a sheet press to make them the same thickness if so (and this is what the coin shop explained to me) it very rarely occurs at the end of a sheet. ""

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
please excuse me,I never intended my comment to be intended as bashing. My first thoughts were that this sounds too good to be true! If it's real,and the mint/plater/inspectors let a bad sheet go thru? There should be a lot more of them then.My first thought was that it was some high school science project.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the cladding was somehow removed after it was struck you would have almost no detail left. It could be copper plated. I copper plated a nickel with my chemistry set as a kid (though they don't make chemistry sets that are nearly as cool nowadays because kids tend to poison themselves or blow up their house). Mine didn't look very good because I was screwing around in my basement, but somebody who knew what they were doing could probably get a very nice result. I don't know how to tell if it's plated without damaging the coin.

Definitely make the effort to find a scale that can weigh by 0.01 grams or at least 0.1g. If it's very close to the weight of a normal dime, it's probably plated. If it's significantly off, then you have something really good.

Coins do occasionally get struck on damaged or incorrect planchets, or even stray bits of metal. There are number of examples of the feeder fingers in the press machine getting struck. They're generally rare and valuable errors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread