ALL RIGHT MDers Question for you

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't used most of them so can't give a real comparative answer. All this past summer I have been using an MXT with good success. I like the versatility with the 3 different modes and as I live near areas that have produced gold the prospecting mode is a feature important to me. Also, while it has some pretty useful features, it is not so complicated that it takes a great deal of time to learn. All in all, I've very pleased with it.
Dig often, Dig deep,
Bill

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can compare a metal detector like a car. They all take you somewhere, but some have extras that you might like more than the striped down model. XLT is a capable detector just lacking the option of the DFX or MXT, but it is no slouch either.

R

robert roy

The DFX has a high learning curve if you like that kind of thing. I understand it has several different programs. In my opinion you would be better off with the MXT. I had thought about the XLT but really
the MXT is probably the best of the lot, especially if you want a turn on and go machine! BUT you still have to watch the DVD a couple of times and read the manual. I use the relic mode most of the time and still find coins and jewelry and lots of other interesting things. I think once you use the MXT you won't want to use anything else. Of course if you don't need the prospecting mode, then the M6 will also give you bang for your dollar. If you decide on the MXT be sure you get the 5.3 coil to go with it. The 950 standard coil is great but you still need something smaller to work trashy areas. You'll find lots of trash in the parks. I hardly ever use the 950 coil unless I am relic hunting around an old building. The 5.3 gives really good depth. ALso I bought an extra rod for my 5.3 coil;this makes it eaiser when changeing out coils.

Good luck
Robert R

K

Kentucky Kache

You guys have got me wanting to buy another detector.

olegator01

Nov 17, 2007
Okeechobee, FL
I'm with Robert R, I got an MXT about 4 months ago and now have almost a full pint jar of clads( including a copper $1.00) As Robert said I went thru the DVD three or 4 times and went out to my neighbors yard and found a quarter right off the bat. The MXT is probably the easiest to use in its price range. I got a chance to use the gold setting a coupla weeks ago but it got so cold in GA I didn't have time to do much but help with the hi-banker. Also Robert said he had bought a 5.3 coil, I got my MXT thru KellyCo and also bought an Excelorator II PRO 3.5 X 5" coil which I get pretty deep and in between a lot of trash I got into with the regular 950 coil that it comes with. Hope this helps
and good luck and HH with whatever you decide. Later, olegator P.S. There's a lot of good info on the MXT here on TNET.

yellowhammer

Nov 20, 2007
I am also new to metal detecting and would like to get advice on what metal detector would be good choice for a newbie. I have a budget around the $200-$300 dollar range and would like suggestions on a metal detector that would be easy to operate for a newbie. I would be hunting old home sites for coins and whatever else I might dig up. I have been looking at Tesoro Silver Umax and have found a new one for $240 and also looking at the White line of detectors. While the Tesoro looks like your basic Detector with only tones and no display screen and Whites seems to be a choice if you wanted to see what your targets are and at what depth they might be located. I am torn on which one to get and would like some advice on a machine that is fairly easy to operate and worth the money? Any other suggestions on different brands would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if it matters about types of soil but I would be hunting in West Central Alabama.

R

robert roy

YelloHammer:
What kind of detecting do you want to do?
Plemty of detectors out there.
The Ace 250 is good($212.00) to start with and there
is the New Fisher F2 which is selling up a storm.$199.00.
If it turns out detecting isn't for you you won't have
an expensive piece of equipment stored in the garage or
you closet. Personally I would go with the F2 or the Ace.
Good Luck.
Robert Roy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread