All San Antonio parks now off limits....

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
TXDIRTFISHER said:
According to the local news today, all parks in San Antonio are off limits to metal detectors. I never hunted them but thought I'd share that with those who did or wanted to.

From what I hear, someone with a metal detector unearthed "something of historical value" in Mission Conception Park. They sure hushed it up in a hurry....wonder what the guy (or gal) found?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Somebody sees a person metal detecting and digging and then calls to complain...then comes the knee-jerk reaction including assumptions! Something may have been found, but it could be that somebody THINKS something might be found that they want. Rather than let us find it, they'd let it rot in the ground in the name of 'historic preservation'. If it was that important or good, they'd figure out a way to dig it up themselves!

I wouldn't be surprised if a permit suddenly becomes required, for a fee naturally!

mretrackr

Sep 17, 2010
I am new to Texas. (Waco) I have been hunting for 25 plus years. I enjoy all types of hunting. I have seen over the years it getting harder to hunt because its off limits. due to the idea of these areas loose their historical value when the buried items are taken from the ground. This to me makes no since to let them rot underground.... perhaps we should join together clubs from all corners of the US and elsewhere to come up with a permit that (such as a fishing or hunting permit) with guidelines such as we would be required to display A percentage of our historical finds at a local museum or library. I would gladly have my finds on display as long as they remain my property. case in point.. there was a dentist who salvaged A confederate steam ship sunk by a mine in the st johns river in Jacksonville fl. he has all his artifacts on display. I believe that if there are artifacts that people can see and admire that in itsself would give more historical value to that particular area than just letting them remain rotting underground. just a thought.....

coolbeans

Apr 11, 2007
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites...dfx- D2- sunray..dx-1 whites...beach hunter id 300 garrett..ace..250 bullseye..II
this rule sucks! ive been ran out of parks 3 times this last month.... but im still swinging!

BlacksmithTom

Greenie
Dec 28, 2011
Kirkland, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Bounty Hunter Tracker IV; Minelab Gofind 60
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Well, I sent in my application for a permit, had to list 20 parks that I wanted to be authorized to be in, we'll see if I get the permit or not :evil5: there's no mention of a fee on the parks dept. website, I'll post again if I get a reply or the permit.

BlacksmithTom

Greenie
Dec 28, 2011
Kirkland, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Bounty Hunter Tracker IV; Minelab Gofind 60
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To let everyone know, I just got my approved permit back today, so seems that they've lifted the ban and as long as you have a permit and are in one of the 20 parks you've asked for, then you're okay.

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I once worked for a branch of the Dept. of the Interior in SA. I can tell you, without reservation, that yes, the Gubmint types would rather valuable artifacts rot in the ground than a "civilian" be able to locate them. Much of this attitude has to do with the curators of the parks/museums and the attendant archeologist(s). It is much more about them protecting their "territory" and using the "not enough resources to recover these priceless artifacts" song and dance to beg for more tax dollars and bolster the law enforcement contingent of the system. If they would simply work with MD'ers and offer some minimal credit or reward, they would have their hands full trying to categorize everything. Most MD'ers are big time history buffs and truly want to help out their community and bring some of the local past back to life. Kinda hard to do when you got a governmental system hell-bent on fighting you through every step of the effort. Just another reason the Gubmint needs to be gutted.

I once heard a disgruntled park worker explain to a tourist that San Antonio was founded in 1718 by a bunch of money grubbing thugs that didn't care what happened to the people in the area...and not a thing has changed in 300 years!!!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't realize that so many of you were here and actively detecting. Yeah, just list what parks you want to hunt and they will grant it. I still hunt a place I'm not supposed to, but I know I'm not alone. They have a fit about the alamo and the missions, Brack and a couple of others, but there are tons of places that are still open. If you doubt me, pm me . It's not always a park where you will find things. Besides, as coolbeans said, he got run out of three parks. That means no tickets, no big hassle, just move on. The park police are having their own problems right now. As for treasure at Conception Park, who knows. You hear rumors, but they are usually false. Well, nice to meet you folks and good hunting, wherever you go.

rickbrk

Jan 2, 2013
Floresville TX.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just spoke to the San Antonio Parks Department today 01/02/2013 you can get a permit, it is free. Here is the kick in the pants though ( no digging tools permitted) She said you could use a spoon to scrape the ground.:dontknow: So looks like just surface hunting.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm happy that someone knows the score and don't worry, there are some folks out there with some really big, filed down iron spoons. My cousin has my detector and a SOG Flash II that works pretty well. Still some amazing finds here in the city...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions