Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're thinking about locating mines, miners have all kinds of online tools. Old topo map online, think I've got a good source now. Take your gps coords for where you might be, put them into mapper. Sometimes you get lucky and hit one. This is Superstition Mts, no mineral entry or fly over, only pack out what can be carried.

Attachments

• Map_Topo_NeedleCanyon_1.jpg
    Map_Topo_NeedleCanyon_1.jpg
    941.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Map_Topo_NeedleCanyon_1B.jpg
    Map_Topo_NeedleCanyon_1B.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 41
  • Map_Topo_NeedleCanyon_1C.jpg
    Map_Topo_NeedleCanyon_1C.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 44

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're thinking about locating mines, miners have all kinds of online tools. Old topo map online, think I've got a good source now. Take your gps coords for where you might be, put them into mapper. Sometimes you get lucky and hit one. This is Superstition Mts, no mineral entry or fly over, only pack out what can be carried.
Hard rockers have to be tough.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard rockers have to be tough.
You may want to add very determined, hard working, look at any values no matter how small, creative with resources, have gone past the gold bug stage and may other factors that do not come to mind at the moment.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to add very determined, hard working, look at any values no matter how small, creative with resources, have gone past the gold bug stage and may other factors that do not come to mind at the moment.
I can not disagree. The underground miners in Appalachia had my respect and getting more and more for you hard rockers.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can not disagree. The underground miners in Appalachia had my respect and getting more and more for you hard rockers.
Going under ground is a whole different world any way you look at it.
There is a lot of history about mining underground. This too is being swept under the rug in many ways.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My understanding is based on BLM lands in CA and typically for 5 acres or less surface disturbance and/or less than 1,000 cubic yards. You are notifying them that you intend to perform exploration and sampling at this scale and in theory they can take no action and you just do it. In reality, they always ask for time to consider it and start a months-long process.

I'll look at the state code as I'd like to see where that overlaps/is different than the CFR.
Just to let everyone know the Assembler the Cat started a conversation with Blaster J called

Comparitive Cal State code you may want to look at​

about 30 minutes ago. The talk is about Code / Law only etc.
Just pm either me or Blaster J. if you are up to contributing to the conversation. Give Blaster J. a chance to go look up the code at a local law library if you can.

Warning this is not for everyone or the timid.......lol.

Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going under ground is a whole different world any way you look at it.
There is a lot of history about mining underground. This too is being swept under the rug in many ways.
Amen. I been underground several hundred feet with a 4-5 foot ceiling. Not for the squeamish. Could not imagine working in that every day. My UTMOST respect.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's amazing what can be accomplished with a bit of ingenuity, a drill bit
and some steel tools most anyone can forge themselves.

If you think about it, beginning just a couple hundred years ago and the
thousands of years prior, mankind would learn from trial and error.
Someone had this idea, tried out and and probably had many failures
along the way, but they ultimately perfected the process. That process
got handed down from generation to generation for who knows how
many hundreds/thousands of years.

And it still works today. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

BlasterJ

Apr 2, 2020
Southern California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone have some tips about using feathers and wedges?
Like the spacing and number to use for a given amount of rock?
Thanks

Yes. You can buy them in sizes from around 1/2" all the way up 2" plus. They can typically split rock that is 2-3X as thick as they are long. There are powered versions that run on compressed air or let you drive the wedge with a special bit in a jackhammer.

As for spacing, I usualyl go 4-6" apart on the small-medium sizes, but you have to experiment as every type of rock is different. People have told me that had success with tightening up the wedges, then setting off a microblaster in the middle.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes. You can buy them in sizes from around 1/2" all the way up 2" plus. They can typically split rock that is 2-3X as thick as they are long. There are powered versions that run on compressed air or let you drive the wedge with a special bit in a jackhammer.

As for spacing, I usualyl go 4-6" apart on the small-medium sizes, but you have to experiment as every type of rock is different. People have told me that had success with tightening up the wedges, then setting off a microblaster in the middle.
I have herd the same information about putting in the wedges tight and even smacking it with a sledgehammer to get a good crack going.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I use the wedge steel but not for mining, in stone mason work.
No need for blasting as these will do the job of splitting monster boulders with ease.
It's a learned thing doing this type work..
Gt....

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have access to a blacksmiths outfit they are pretty easy to make.
I do black smith work but buying the wedge steel or chisels from a reputable stone mason tool supply is highly recommended.
Makin good quality steel tools is an art that better left to the pros..
My 2 Dwt...
Gt.....

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread