Allow Me To Indtroduce Myself.

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
My name is Art and I'm a closet treasurolic. It all started when as a child I found some old treasure hunting magazines in my dad's stack of True West magazines. Hooked I then aquired a copy of Jack Lewis's Treasure Hunters Digest at the tender age of eight. Soon I even experminted with cheap imported metal detectors in the late '70's and early '80's. I struggled with this addiction until puberity hit and I thought I was over it. Sadly while in the Navy in the early '90s I discovered Clive Cussler novels and slowly this insanity returned.

Coming back home to Texas, I would suffer relapses and find myself searching for valuables. I found fossils in central Texas, flint points in southwest Texas, old bottles in my native south Texas. Working construction my eyes were always peeled for signs in the dirt. Black ash from trash burning, distubed soiled that may indicate the location of an outhouse or trash pits.

I also found myself at garage sales, flea markets, estate auctions and on Ebay looking for old books, magazines, fishing reels and whatever else caught my intrest. I have National Geographics dating back to 1917, Books on explorers, big game hunters and of course treasure hunters dating to the 1920's. I even found myself collecting scrab beetles native to Texas.

I've grown tired of restraining myself. Today I ordered a Garrett ACE 250. I decided to embrace my madness. I have plotted out areas that may produce results, my blood is tingling as I await the arrival of my new MD. Years from now if you run across a tall, slim fella with white goatee, smoking a pipe, wearing khakis and sporting MilSup web gear with an entrenching tool and machete, It might be me or some other escaped lunitic. :D  ::)

All fun aside, I'm looking forward to a new hobby and I hope to be an asset to this forum as I learn the paces of MDing. I just hope ya'll have a sense of humor. ;) Thank you.

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You'll find a lot of good humor here my friend! Welcome :D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like someone I know! :) Welcome to the forum and looking forward to your posts and finds.

OP
OP
J

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
Thank you all for the kind welcome. I'm looking forward to learning new techiques and approaches to aid in my Treasure and Salvage procurement. Finding this forum finally convinced me to purchase myself a MD. I've played with the idea for years but always balked at investing in one. Now that a healthy income tax return and alot of overtime have bloated my otherwise lean checking account, I figure better now than never. ;D

As my handle would indict, I have a fondness for junk. In fact my main goal is locating old trash dumps and escavuting them. I trenched an alley once and found a Mexican Uno Centvo from 1890 and a colbalt blue posion bottle along with other bits and pieces. One such piece was the brass plaque from a 1927 Victor radio, the wood was of course burnt in the trash pit and the vacum tubes melted but an intresting find anyway.

KenPa

Apr 7, 2006
Easton, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
WELCOME. You could go to detecting annonymous but nobody's ever at the meeting. They're all out detecting

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, Junky...you just wrote everybodies' life story. Welcome to TreasureNetville! ;D

I was just thinking about how I got interested in detecting. I used to read those old White's newsletters that came in the mail...Does anybody remember the name of those newsletters? I used to sit in my dad's recliner...and read them.......and reread them.....

Good luck with that Ace 250. From what I hear it's a great detector. :)

OP
OP
J

Junkophile

Apr 1, 2007
Deep South Texas
Bodyguard said:
What the heck... it's normal people that scare me :)

He He! Normal is a term that has never been used to describe me. Figure THing is just another feather in my hat of intresting outdoor pastimes that make normal folks scratch their head and question my sanity. ;D

Example: My foreman asks for a knife to cut some rope, I pick up two pieces of chert rock and in two or three wacks make him a usable stone blade. My reply to his puzzled look was "Cavemen rock, baby." Cuts nylon just as good as steel and I didn't have to walk back three hundred yards to the truck and back. ;)

johnscott56

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2007
It is an addiction. Fortunately there is no help for it!
Just enjoy being able to see and find things other people take forgranted.

334dave

Greenie
Sep 28, 2006
wow! now i feel right at home ::) with you guys! ;D
i have not time to recount the finding i want to do :o

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Allow Me To Indtroduce Myself.(say isn't that a rolling stones tune?)

welcome to the dirty world of metal detecting ---get to digging---resistance is useless--- the dirt wins in the end ---so get it over with --- embrace the dirt--- be one with it ---you will be sooner or later everyone is. Welcome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread