Alls I got left

Aug 30, 2023
Hello,

Exactly 3 weeks ago, my house, along with the entire town I’ve lived in for 52 years, burned to the ground.
In the days immediately following, I spent the entirety of my days removing valuable items from my sister’s house, which miraculously survived the flames, and storing them in secure areas.
When I wasn’t trying to prevent any potential looters, by removing everything valuable. I helped my neighbors board up windows, repair roofs, as well as otjer preventative measures that one might need the day after the apocalypse.
Prior to doing any of this, I had gone to my lot, where my house had stood just hours before . I had heard a rumor that my gun safe had been seen poking out of the ashes. While the rumors were partially correct, let’s just say that my fire safe, probably hadn’t been tested for a 1000 degree temperature burning for several hours.
However, and I can only chalk this up to shock, —during the initial hours I spent on my land, which i visited first, I spent all of my time lamenting the loss of everything I owned, and I let slip my mind, the fact that there was approximately 8k worth of silver (bars and coins/junk silver), all my girlfriends jewelry, as well as metal heirlooms and the like scattered amongst the ashes and debris.
Much to my dismay, in the days since, the Police and National Guard, have erected Roadblocks, begun patrolling the streets, and are in the process of constructing a “dust barrier”, which suspiciously resembles a chain linked fence, which is then covered with black material we all associate with dust/dirt barriers with.
A couple of days ago, I came to the painful realization that I had wasted precious time crying over things that were no more, when I should’ve been taking every measure to secure what little was left. I’ve been kicking myself ever since the thought of a metal detector pierced my brain.
This brings us to the l reason I am here. I need the wisdom of the initiated to recommend to me, a metal detector that would best serve me in recovering whatever I am able to. This will mainly be for silver, some gold, and possibly steel (blades). I also really hope to find, if it survived, and heirloom of my girlfriends which is the badge belongig to her grandfather, which he had earned for the many years he had spent with the Honolulu police department.
I’m not looking for the thing with all the bells and whistles (or maybe I am?), but rather the thing that will help me best carry out the task at hand,—mainly the repatriation of my non-paper currency.
Once completed, it is likely that I will not be using this metal detector again, but instead plan to loan it out to anyone else who might be able to utilize it.
I apologize if my post is a little long winded and/or written poorly. I’ve never had much faith in Amazon reviews or sponsored lists, and have always believed that forum discussions were the best place to find the real answers. IMG_0508.jpeg IMG_0518.jpeg IMG_0503.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Words really can't express enough the devastation of those 3 pictures. I'm truly sorry to read and see from your pictures the dilemma that you're faced with.
For buying a metal detector to find the items that you are trying to find is going to be a task for any detector on the market.
Every nail, screw, piece of metal is going to be under or on top of the items, so the detector will be overwhelmed with signals.
Just some ideas-buy a really good magnet (type they use for magnet fishing)
Concentrate on the areas of the where the items were stored.
Mag out all the iron first, then any detector will find the other items as they'll be just in the ash.
From just detecting structures that have been raised from fires somethings survive-most non-ferrous items don't.
From the look of the photos I'm not putting much faith in the items surviving the intense heat.

OP
OP
L
Aug 30, 2023
PepperJ,

Thank you, my friend. I do appreciate the sympathy. And without going into any detail, I’ll say this; In most circumstances having all your $h!T burn up in a fire is certainly cause for pity.
But you see the vitrified mango tree in the background of one those pictures? Well my dumb a$$ decided to go look around the neighboring subdivision, and I have to tell you, it’s the dumbest decision in the 52 years ive been on earth, i’ve ever made.
What i saw not 50 yards past that tree, I will take into my next life.
You know it’s bad, if everything you ever owned is in now vapor and yet you consider yourself one of the lucky ones.
But for anyone that has been watching the coverage i can emphatically tell you that the body count thats being reported (like 115 or something like that?) by the news is absolute bunk. I counted more than that on 2 streets alone.
But back to the topic. I was afraid of what you pointed out;-mainly that all the nails, ties, etc would basically cause the detector to go haywire by their sheer number. Guess I’ll just have to do it the hard way, with a rake and lots of patience. Of course, that’s assuming the
Cops or Nat’l guard hasn’t gotten it already.

Here’s a before & after shot of my street. It resembles 90% of every street in town.
It still blows my mind to fathom what the hell Just happened a few weeks ago.
The entire town has PTSD.

Thanks again for the commonsense reply

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpeg
    IMG_0506.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4010.jpeg
    IMG_4010.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It really makes one humble to read/ see the pre/post of your pictures.
Raking, and the idea of the magnet will reduce the amount of metal quickly.
I can only imagine the self entitled that pocket the wealth from the embers.
Hopefully you'll be able to recover an amazing moment, that truly brings you a true tear of thankfulness that something actually survived the fire.
Keep us all posted on anything that you do find.
Interesting thread.
Remember though that that any political/religion can't be discussed in the open forum.
I'm certain there's a lot of things that you can say regarding this matter.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Words really can't express enough the devastation of those 3 pictures. I'm truly sorry to read and see from your pictures the dilemma that you're faced with.
For buying a metal detector to find the items that you are trying to find is going to be a task for any detector on the market.
Every nail, screw, piece of metal is going to be under or on top of the items, so the detector will be overwhelmed with signals.
Just some ideas-buy a really good magnet (type they use for magnet fishing)
Concentrate on the areas of the where the items were stored.
Mag out all the iron first, then any detector will find the other items as they'll be just in the ash.
From just detecting structures that have been raised from fires somethings survive-most non-ferrous items don't.
From the look of the photos I'm not putting much faith in the items surviving the intense heat.
Harbor freight... or Home depot... biggest rolling nail magnet you can get... remove all that first... then detect... do grids... grid it in 10 foot squares and roll out into neighboring squares until each is cleared of all.

Once the magnetic items are removed... Then detect it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My condolences.

Grid the area you suspect what you're after likely occupies.
Work a foot at a time maybe down to ground.
A pinpointer might help as much as a detector would. The Garrett's we use often run around 100 dollars. I can't vouch for cheaper ones.

A section of hardware cloth can be used as a sifter as well.
You'll want gloves and a face mask.
Rugged material bag or a bucket to put your saves in. A denim pant leg tied at the bottom will work too on the cheap.. Keep recoveries out of sight and safe , expecting looters to be about.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
the rebar in the cement slab is not going to work well with a detector.
releventchair has a good idea with using a hardware cloth sifter.
use a flat blade shovel and sift.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread