Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stainless steel is silghtly heavier, but way stronger for the rough digging on different shore bottoms.

Attachments

• Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,447
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,422

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75
Stainless is the way to go.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I have a Beach Brute 4-sale in the Classifieds wanting 150 Kellyco has them 200 :hello:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach brute is excellent!

Regarding smaller aluminum scoops, a lot of them are hard to use in the water. The waves knock them around and sometimes they don't want to enter the wet sand.

The Nuttal is a good scoop also. It's made of stainless steel and will take a bite out of just about anything including concrete :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to scoops, bigger is better, you don't want to be chasing a target in the surf with waves rolling over you.....

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Get the biggest stainless steel scoop available. Aluminium will wear and tear and it's too light. The heavier the better.

igorsr

Greenie
Aug 26, 2008
Windsor ON Canada
Stainless for sure. I have been in big surf in the fall in great lakes and a heavy scoop digs in right away. As far as weight I drag mine attached to a caribiner on my belt. I just drag it around until I need it.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
What do you guys feel about aluminum scoop with a stainless lip riveted on?
Best of both worlds, lighter but strong up front?

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use SS scoop.The Aluminum handle takes a beaten in less than a year. They start to bend and I have always had to get them welded. I haven't use a Nuttal But I would be wary digging down 18 inches in the wet sand and trying to pry it back out of a hole I think I would brake it the first day out! I have gotten my SS scoop stuck in the sand and have had to use two hands to get it back out. That wood stick would be toast, in my opinion. But if you only hunt a couple of times a week Aluminum might work for you. steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used the Beach Brute for about 2 years, sold it and bought the Beach Brute II, and used it now for over 18 months, both are aluminum. I have not had a single problem with the handle and have dug some very deep holes with it. You would not want to dig in real rocky areas with it as it is aluminum, but as far as holding up, I have no problems with mine. If I was going to be digging in a rocky area I would put a SS lip on mine................

Good luck and good hunting...........

JMW

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 (10.5" coil), DetectorPro Headhunter PI (8", 11" coils), Tesoro Stingray (8" coil), Ace 250 (4.5" Sniper, 6.5" x 9" coils) and White's Classic ID (8" coil)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMW said:
Go with http://www.proscoops.com/. I use the one with the SS tip (#6HDTBSS). It's a workhorse and can take a beating.

My only complaint is they are too small. My Beach Brute is 8.5" wide, 12" long and 6" high.....

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Treasure_Hunter said:
JMW said:
Go with http://www.proscoops.com/. I use the one with the SS tip (#6HDTBSS). It's a workhorse and can take a beating.

My only complaint is they are too small. My Beach Brute is 8.5" wide, 12" long and 6" high.....

Sounds like a monster, I was thinking 6" would be okay,maybe I should rethink that.
Can any of you post pics of your scoops next to your detector or foot for reference? I want to see actual scoops instead
of sitting here with a tape measure picturing an invisible scoop.
They really show the size when next to somebodys head, unless someone has a big head. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread