ALMOST A COIN, ALMOST A RING

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this interesting item today at a late 1800's homestead site. It rang up in the penny range on the AT Pro, so I was thinking IHP. No such luck. With no detail showing and covered in a green patina, I was thinking some sort of hand made game piece. After getting home and cleaning my digs, I noticed a face staring to emerge, a dude with a gotee. I realized then, someone, many years ago, was in the process of making a coin ring when it was lost. My wife, KyDigNQueen, was able to identify him as Napoleon III. Further research found the coin to be a bronze French 10 Centimes, minted between 1852 and 1857. Making this the oldest coin? or oldest ring? that I have found. Not sure what category it falls in:icon_scratch:!
Thanks for looking and HH!
20170409_194420.jpg
20170409_194440.jpg

This is what this coin began life as
4238_g374f1853.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure either but what a fun find. Definitely more unique than either a ring or a coin.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's just cool as heck. I guess a dude was making it for his honey but, she ran off with a traveling "tonic" salesman so the guy heaved the coin-ring into the grass. Nice find for sure and you'll have to make up your own storyline for how & why it ended up under your coil. I love this treasure hunting thing. Congrats.

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your imagination Kurios1! We could come up with many scenarios for that coin. But the greater mystery to me is how did a coin, minted in Lille France in the 1850's, end up in a farm field in Western Kentucky as a ring in progress? How many hands have touched this coin? How many pockets have carried this Centime? Oh if this coin could talk! What tales of travel and adventure would it tell. I have so many question, and no answers! It is a mystery to me.
As it is with most everything we find.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a terrific find ! Could well be "trench art" might have been brought back by a WWI vet, even though it would have been a 60 year old coin then . I hope you saw the coin/ buckle post here recently - I have made a couple of rings this way ,it is very time consuming .

OP
OP
K

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Argentium, it definitely is different. I did see the post about the coin buckle and that was a heck of a dig. I have seen various video on making rings from silver coins, and it is time consuming, but I would think bronze would be a harder metal than silver and not easy to make into a ring. But the idea of trench art is very plausible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread