Almost a new 350 owner

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I'm a newbie (I so dislike that word) but anyways I just ordered a new Ace 350 so I am willing and able to take any advice/hints/help from anyone that wants to throw some my way. I have to admit I bought because of the price but like everything I do I did a bit of research. Not a ton but I read most every review I could about MD's in this price range and this seemed like a decent one. Not looking to break the bank on another hobby. So thanks all. Hope I made a decent decision. P.s. it will be used mostly for coin hunting and around old homes and foundations/yards. Beach if I ever get there .

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome Skidder! Study detectorist,s code of ethics,including always getting permission on private land and knowing law on other, and filling holes.
Practice with a test garden or sample targets on backside of carpet or cardboard. Allow you self time to learn units language and have fun!
Once you get comfortable with it its time to test the results of your research into locations to detect. Happy hunting.

OP
OP
S

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I live in New England and my hometown was founded in 1669 and there is no shortage of older homes so I was thinking about just asking homeowners to md and tell them any finds will be turned over to them. I'm just in it for fun not $$. Thanks

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! Releventchair gave you some great tips. It's easier to practice at home in your old yard, then move out to other spots. The Ace 350 will serve you well.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
S

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't want to buy one now but wasn't sure if the prices went up when the weather warms so I did a little research and bought the 350 now. Was second guessing myself for a while but decided it was a decent brand with pretty decent reviews and it was all I wanted to really spend I have way to many hobbies as it is. BBQ team,fishing and handgun shooting to name three. Thanks for the welcome you all will be hearing from me with a ton of questions I'm sure. Oh 1st question and this is a noobie one. Do I need a coil cover and do you use it while detecting or is it for storage.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil covers are used to protect the coil in the field. If you are a "scrubber" that rubs the ground on each swing, then a coil cover will extend the coils life. If you upgrade later, most buyers will ask to see pictures of the bottom of the coil.

If you aren't dragging it across rocks continually, you can get by without one.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a long time Whites user with a few garrets mixed in and most of then at least 25 years old. I bought an Ace 350 not too long ago and took it down to the local park on an unusually warm day. This place has been hunted to death and right off the bat I got a wheatie at 8"!
Did not find the pockets full of silver I dreamt about but was only out there an hour or two. I was so impressed I bought a AT Pro also. Now just need this snow to be gone so I can use them!

OP
OP
S

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see New England Detectors has the Garrett Pro Pointer and a bonus Lesche knife for $137.00 gonna order it now if my Amazon order gets cancelled I ordered just the Garrett for $127.00 on Amazon

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest renting one first. if you can.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a 350 as well (love it) (7 year old has the 150) and am new here in AZ to detecting. I am really trying to get used to the sounds it makes and what to dig and not dig. I am prob missing out on some as I am always waiting for the coin ding to sound. The Pro Pointer was my best buy just lately for sure.

OP
OP
S

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a 350 as well (love it) (7 year old has the 150) and am new here in AZ to detecting. I am really trying to get used to the sounds it makes and what to dig and not dig. I am prob missing out on some as I am always waiting for the coin ding to sound. The Pro Pointer was my best buy just lately for sure.

My pointer should be in tomorrow. Good thing I dug my first treasures today (3 pennies hit by the mower) and my lawn looks like I have gophers. At least the 350 works. Could only dig down 2" cause the ground is still frozen. Top 2" melted cause it was sunny in the 50s today.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will see how easy it becomes to find what your looking for when the pointer is used. I will never go out without it.

OP
OP
S

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks it was tough without one for sure. Funny how a penny looks like mud right in front of your nose. Looking forward to adding to the arsenal of treasure weapons.

OP
OP
S

Skidder

Jan 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my Pro-Pointer made it along with the Lesche Digger. These will make this hobby a bit easier. Great deal from New England Detectors. Both for $137 couldn't pass it up. Practiced with the pointer. Love it.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you start using it you'll feel naked without it. Great tool for sure. It is truly amazing what doesn't look like metal when covered by mud.

Pete in MI

Jan 24, 2007
Houghton Lake, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pinpointer, Garrett ACE 350, Whites Bullseye II pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still waiting for snow melt and ground to thaw so I can get out with my new 350. Been detecting since the 70s and used many models and brands of detectors and always I come back to Garrett. I have owned the Master Hunter BFO, a couple of American S-2, a GTA-1000, GTAx-1250, the ACE 250 and now a proud owner of yet another of Garrett's finest. Thank you to Charles Garrett and his fine staff.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the Pro Pointer too, a tip though, Those little speaker slots always seem to fill with mud! I put electrical tape over mine, just leaving the smallest of area open, still loud enough, and keeps mud out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread