Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a short hunt yesterday and thrilled that I didn't get kicked off the property. I was given permission to hunt an old property by the caretaker two years ago. She lived in the carriage house and the nephew to the owner lived in the servants house. I had met her years ago. I finally got her number from an acquaintance to ask permission to hunt. I had done artwork for the owners son who had built a house on the corner of the property 300 yards from the main house 15 years ago. I didn't metal detect back then. I tried getting in touch with the son five years ago to ask permission once the metal detecting bug bit me, but he had moved to his winter home and only returned for holidays until this year. I would always call before I detected and this time the caretaker informed me she had left the property but to go ahead and metal detect, "you know the nephew". While hunting a few weeks ago a white German Shepherd barked at me for five minutes approaching me twenty yards at a time until a woman appeared from the direction of the owners sons house, their back... It was the wife of the son who commissioned me for the artwork years ago. She was irate that I was on the property and that I didn't call. I informed her of the situation and arrangements I had made prior to being there and that I had hunted the field a number of times prior. She calmed down a little and gave me her husbands number and asked that I call him before I hunt again. I could tell she still wasn't happy but didn't ask me to leave, so I kept metal detecting. On my way back to the truck I could see her husband walking towards me with a big smile, we met in the middle of the field and shook hands again, fifteen years later. He was my age, and very friendly. He informed me his wife didn't want anybody on the property but he would try to work it out. I thanked him and said I would give him a call. Well the weather was going to be in the fifties so I gave it a go and called. He said it would be alright but asked if I could be off the field by three thirty. I replied, "with wings on my feet". I guess she was due home at four, got to love it, glad he wore the pants. I hunted for three hours yesterday, the main open field never really produced but the wooded area with paths through the mess of briars produced some nice coins. The clog clasp was the first target followed by the solid cast coat button with gilt, a chape, blowhole button, slide buckle, suspender hook or slide. I went back to the area I dug the 1739 George the ll and was thrilled to get a small signal three yards from where I dug the 39. I removed the first plug and swung my detector over the hole and a bright copper signal dropped me to my knees with my pinpointer. It was another nice looking Georgie, a 1735 to end my hunt. I left at three o'clock, life is sweet...

Attachments

• 20140114_093828-crop.jpg
    20140114_093828-crop.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 20140114_092911-crop.jpg
    20140114_092911-crop.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 20140114_092937-crop.jpg
    20140114_092937-crop.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Upvote 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good(3/4) save on the site and recovery of finds. Nice looking copper and button, and I see you got a whizzer also.

Dirt.Hound

Mar 5, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good story and great finds! thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good(3/4) save on the site and recovery of finds. Nice looking copper and button, and I see you got a whizzer also.

Thanks pepperj, the soil at the site is perfect NJ sugar sand. I hope a rare bird rears its head in the future, everything I have found is without the dreaded fertilizer rot. The smallest whizzer I have found to date.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see the date on it.

That story sounds familar, someones wife/dog walker had issues with us & we lost some of our best fields because of it. The owner was happy for us it do it & he & his wife were only the managers but we lost the charm offensive & the fields.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds neighbor(I'm a Millbilly)

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story and finds! Glad you were able to maintain access.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Great story and finds! I can't count how many times the wife successfully trumped the husband's decision when I've hunted...before and after I've started swingin'. For me there have been far fewer trumps by the husband over the wife. I'm in the midwest and I'd say I have about a 90+% rate when asking for permission...I don't know about most other places in the country, but in Florida (where I'm from originally) my percentage of permission success is far smaller.

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
I love your story! The finds are awesome. The stuff you found out there just like the stuff we find here in my area. It is so much find finding a George that can be dated. The show buckle pieces and the buzzer are great finds.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Arty, it looks like a very early site. Glad you were able to salvage the permission.

OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
  • Today, 03:37 PM
    CRUSADER

That story sounds familar, someones wife/dog walker had issues with us & we lost some of our best fields because of it. The owner was happy for us it do it & he & his wife were only the managers but we lost the charm offensive & the fields.

I dislike coins with no date but will except them readily. Sorry to hear your good fields were waylaid by the talkers.
treblehunter

Thank you kindly. As in mill sites? Millbilly.

ggossage
Great story and finds! I can't count how many times the wife successfully trumped the husband's decision when I've hunted...before and after I've started swingin'. For me there have been far fewer trumps by the husband over the wife. I'm in the midwest and I'd say I have about a 90+% rate when asking for permission...I don't know about most other places in the country, but in Florida (where I'm from originally) my percentage of permission success is far smaller.

Thanks. Had the opposite this year, the husband didn't have a chance to say no. She just had him shaking his head yes...

Ed-NH
I love your story! The finds are awesome. The stuff you found out there just like the stuff we find here in my area. It is so much find finding a George that can be dated. The show buckle pieces and the buzzer are great finds.

Thanks Ed-NH. Is that New Hampshire?

Steve in PA
Nice recoveries Arty, it looks like a very early site. Glad you were able to salvage the permission.

Thanks Steve, Lucky the wife didn't put a stop to it. Looking forward to some silver. There are trails everywhere. Finding the hot spots in the briars will take up allot of time. There is about twenty acres.

Last edited:
OP
OP
artyfacts

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lordy, I thought all South Jersey residents knew what is a Millbilly! :) Art - think Cumberland County :)

Cumberland County reminds me of the word cucumber. I guess being a transplant from Ct. helped my ignorance, I just dont get out enough Don. I thought everyone called them ticks, as in wood ticks.8-)

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
  • Today, 03:37 PM
    CRUSADER

I dislike coins with no date but will except them readily. Sorry to hear your good fields were waylaid by the talkers.
treblehunter

Thank you kindly. As in mill sites? Millbilly.

ggossage

Thanks. Had the opposite this year, the husband didn't have a chance to say no. She just had him shaking his head yes...

Ed-NH

Thanks Ed-NH. Is that New Hampshire?

Steve in PA

Thanks Steve, Lucky the wife didn't put a stop to it. Looking forward to some silver. There are trails everywhere. Finding the hot spots in the briars will take up allot of time. There is about twenty acres.

Hi and yes I'm in NH. I love hunting the old fields, woods and around the ocean in the winter.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt man, nice 1735 , a few still KG's out there .

Imo , your the land owners wife is being misled by those detecting shows , get ready for the ''
Jan. 15, 11:52 p.m. EST: Full Wolf Moon -Amid the zero cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. It was also known as the Old Moon or the Moon after Yule. In some tribes this was the Full Snow Moon; most applied that name to the next moon. Since the moon arrives at apogee - its farthest point from Earth - less than three hours earlier, this will also be the smallest full moon of 2014. In terms of apparent size, it will appear 12.2-percent smaller than the full moon of Aug.10, the biggest full moon of the year.

CMDdawg

Attachments

• th_No_BullShit.jpg
    th_No_BullShit.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest: