Almost missed out

I've got the bug

Jun 2, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett infinium ls, Whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I wanted to rest because I'm heading out for a (hopefully fruitful) metal detecting session tomorrow, and I thought I'd do a bit of CRH.

Well I called one of the banks in my area that's open on Saturday and they didn't answer, so I called another. They said they had 10 dollars in halfs and they would hold them for me, so as I was on my way out the door I decided to call the other bank again. This time they answered and said they had two...I asked what the dates were and she said 1967 and a bicentennial, so I told her to hold them for me and I'd be right over.

I picked up the 1967 and headed for the other bank, but when I got there they said they were mistaken and only had four, all of which were clad, so I picked up a box of nickels and a box of pennies to search though (not done yet, but if I find anything good I'll post it here.)

Here's the Kennedy
image.jpg

Hope you guys have a good one,
Bug

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I've got the bug

I've got the bug

Jun 2, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg

And....War nickel!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy them all. Always buy them all. It isn't much effort, keeps them happy instead of holding coins that take up space and aren't used, and does not key tellers in to what you are looking for and why they're valuable.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, don't call a bank and only take what you want. Good way to tip someone off that doesn't know better.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the reason it went from a roll to four is because they took out the 16 silvers!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped at 2 banks the other day for cents. Got $100 from each. As we only go to town once a month (and not necessarily the same town), I don't get a chance to get to know the tellers. However, at bank one I picked up a bag and (2) boxes, as they didn't have any more bags ready. This bag was already written on and ready to be shipped back to the Fed. The 2nd bank is the largest around and I got 2 bags. Have gone through them all quickly. So far nothing jumping out at me. Only sat aside about 7 coins to look at closer. One, I know, has a little something, but can't remember offhand what. It'll probably go to the dump bank as well.

Oh, I "did" happen to get 2 clad dimes in a bag from bank #2. Both dimes were severely stuck together with what looks like sticky asphalt!

I cannot get halves in my area - ANYWHERE!! Got tired of dimes, nickels and quarters, but cents are normally pretty fun for me. This time not so much. ...And also had BY FAR the lowest amount of Canadians that I've yet encountered!! Is a small area, so sometimes I cannot get more than $50 worth at a time. ...And they often have to last me a month! :BangHead:

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, calling ahead can save you some gas, but it also alerts any sniping tellers to look through it all before you arrive.

It can happen even if you don't call ahead. I was at this one bank where they had 9 rolls available and a manager stopped the transaction, said they had to be counted first before we could sell them. They then went 6 feet away and separated out all the silver and came back with $70 worth. I asked where the others were and they said they weren't sellable. I said I would take them anyway, but they insisted (of course we know why). So, my point is that you may have missed out either way, but phoning ahead makes it even easier to pull the good stuff out.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, calling ahead can save you some gas, but it also alerts any sniping tellers to look through it all before you arrive.

It can happen even if you don't call ahead. I was at this one bank where they had 9 rolls available and a manager stopped the transaction, said they had to be counted first before we could sell them. They then went 6 feet away and separated out all the silver and came back with $70 worth. I asked where the others were and they said they weren't sellable. I said I would take them anyway, but they insisted (of course we know why). So, my point is that you may have missed out either way, but phoning ahead makes it even easier to pull the good stuff out.
In the past, I found that begging and groveling sometimes worked for me. :laughing7:

OP
OP
I've got the bug

I've got the bug

Jun 2, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys make a really good point. In the future, I'll just stop by and ask.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread