Almost skunked at the beach today

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground here in Rhode Island is pretty much frozen solid, so I got out this morning to a local beach at low tide. I was almost skunked today, finding only 1 clad dime, 2 crusty pennies, and a pouch full of #@$%! aluminum cans, pulltabs, screws and nails, and glass. When I got home, my wife looked at the junk before I threw it out, and kept some of what she called seaglass. Turns out old, sand worn beach glass is very popular for making crafts and jewelry, and sells pretty well on eBay. Clear, brown and green sell for less, but the rarer colors like blue, red, yellow, etc, etc, sell for a pretty good amount. I'm gonna keep piling some up during my beach hunts and see what it goes for at the end of the year. Maybe make a few bucks towards batteries, and if nothing else, clean up the beaches. Anyone else collect seaglass??

Attachments

• Seaglass 1-7-06.JPG
    Seaglass 1-7-06.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 330
Upvote 0

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nice seaglass! I collect it and put it in jars and let the sun turn it purple(if its old). My grandma had a great idea, she got a lamp with a clear base and filled it with seaglass and it looks wicked cool.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Love your post on seaglass.I have collected this stuff for years....the red is the most valuable...and I have yet to find one...Of course here, I get it from Lake Michigan...Beachglass..I have ?friends in Cuba ,Florida and California ?who sends it to me when they find a good piece...

Dirtfishin

Dec 3, 2005
Southern Tier NY (temp)
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace100 (my first one)
White's Surf Pro PI
Nokta Legend
I have a pretty good collection fo sea or beach glass from when I grew up in NY...
The beaches in FL are much cleaner and it's harder to find down here.
Red is the rarest and I have one piece I think, and then blue... I have a good amount of blue, I also have a whole coke bottle frosted naturally. ;D

Love the lamp idea! Mine just sits in a bowl.

Kat

TimmyNY

Nov 28, 2005
Western New York
Nice glass. I wonder if people would be interested in broken pottery for mosaics. I could pick up buckets of it at some of the cellar holes we hunt.

Tim

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Broken pottery is soemtimes used in jewelry or pictures frames or mosaics. I have one really nice peice of red seaglass that has a neat checkered design on it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seaglass is great and hard to find. You mostly find it digging something else. Don't forget the nice driftwood! There is a real market for most pieces you find. I once sold a piece in the parking lot while putting the detector away for the day. If I remember right I got $20.00 bucks for it. I bought a dinner that night.

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions