Almost threw this one back! Or, should I have?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been roll hunting long enough that I should know better, but need advice here. I found this S-proof Kennedy today while roll hunting with my kids...looked like a beat-up S-clad and I was ready to toss it back until I decided to dip it (gasp). I wish I'd taken a "before" pic though. Ok, I'm seeing auctions online for 1971 40% S-silver Kennedys, there must be some mistake, goes against all my research. It looks like a solid silver rim on this one.
Anyhow, we didn't do too bad, $108 in halves also gave up 2 - 40%.
$10 in cents gave up 3 wheats, and $100 in nickels produced one '45 P war and a dozen or so pre-50 Jeffersons, and we had some fun. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.JPG
    IMG_2481.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2483.JPG
    IMG_2483.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2480.JPG
    IMG_2480.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The front face doesn't look like a 40% to me and i'm pretty sure I can see the copper in the side profile pic.

There are supposedly some 71 40% that got struck on old planchets.

If it weighs more than 11.34g take it to a LCS or jeweler and ask them to do a silver test on it. a 40% weighs 11.5g , 90% 12.5g

Nice finds on the other stuff as well :-)

HH,
Bigheed

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I'm tone deaf, and wish I had scales. Here's another side profile.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.JPG
    IMG_2484.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 144

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm tone deaf, and wish I had scales. Here's another side profile.
Hey FFD, first, nice find.
Any possability you might be able to post another pic just like that but with a couple of halfs beside it to compare it too? Maybe a modern clad proof and a regular half with a good rim?
Thanks if you can. Also, more info on "the dip" would be cool. HH

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Very beautiful proof. I believe that it is either a 40% or a 90% but I am more inclined towards the 90%.
An unusual find, maybe it was struck on silver, 1970 intended planchet? Who knows...it is similar to the 1965 quarter and dime being struck on silver leftover planchets.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound test would be telling. The 40% proofs/NIFCs I have all have a more white silver appearance on the face where this one seems more nickel.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the pic, I believe I see what looks like the good ol' mostly copper rim of a clad proof, although for whatever reason it is very faint. If it flunks the sound test, it pretty much has to be just an unusual looking clad proof.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
From the picture, it looks silver to me. If it is plated, weighing it might be slightly misleading but that is where I would start. It would need a heavy plating to significantly affect the weight. Why isn't XRF affordable? It would be the ideal for this instance.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 40%. I have several 68s that have a similar rim.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm confused, you say you decided to dip it and wish you had taken a before picture. sound to me like you plated it and then took a picture. from the responses here it sounds like that was a genuine picture wondering whether or not it was struck on a silver planchet.

well, since I rarely follow up on singular threads, I'll just give you my answers despite what yours will be.

if that is the natural side of the coin - looks like a solid silver rim to me. do a density test if you have access to a scale and any sort of volume measuring device. that would be real cool. sounds like you've been doing this long enough to know a plated rim so I'll assume that's not the case

if you plated it - nice work! while I hate getting plated coins I also love it.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad, thats my guess, unless the OP is able to post a vid/wav file of the sound this coin makes when struck against a hard surface.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm confused, you say you decided to dip it and wish you had taken a before picture. sound to me like you plated it and then took a picture. from the responses here it sounds like that was a genuine picture wondering whether or not it was struck on a silver planchet.

well, since I rarely follow up on singular threads, I'll just give you my answers despite what yours will be.

if that is the natural side of the coin - looks like a solid silver rim to me. do a density test if you have access to a scale and any sort of volume measuring device. that would be real cool. sounds like you've been doing this long enough to know a plated rim so I'll assume that's not the case

if you plated it - nice work! while I hate getting plated coins I also love it.
SFB, I did not plate it. I submersed for a few seconds in a chem-dip. The condition of the coin was so poor, (including dirty edge, I passed it up edge-searching), that I figured I had nothing to lose by dipping. I was suprised to see the silver edge afterwards.
If it is plated, the cameo portion would have to have been masked first. I've seen many plated coins, I don't know how it could also retain the mirrored field after plating, unless of course only the edge is plated.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like my 2011 silver proof half. It could be a plated edge, though.

OP
OP
fistfulladirt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
For those interested, I present the tissue test.

Left side, regular clad half and the '71 proof.
Right side, 40 and 90% silver.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 108

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
This is the first I've heard of the tissue test. What exactly is it, how is it done, and what does it prove?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread