Along Our Travels

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Welp, we've saved and scripped for months.. and fiannly its a trip worth waitign for.. Seems my wife has the time in Sept to check out the early fall colors down around North Carolina.. So what does this mean?

When ever its a trip to NC, VA, PA, WV & TN it has to mean a few days set aside for soem gem hunting.. Well more like sluicing for gems at road side attractions.. But we've also planned a trip (6th attempt) to see "Points of Light" in Asheville, NC. on Monday Sept 23rd at 10:00 am

Some Camping maybe required and your welcome to meet up with us for the adventure.. Our main goal, is to eat lunch via Libby Hill Seafood in Southern Va or Northern NC.. Can't decide yet.. But its all good.

So if you want to tag along we'd love to have you. This would be a great way for TNer (Rock & Minerals) to meetup.

Pm your RSVP for Sept 20th - 25th

Last edited:
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
The road trip is coming together very well.. Seems we'll be killing two birds with one stone.. sort of speak. We've ellected to create a Libby Hill seafood run on this trip.. but include other points of destinations along the way. Seeming how we have a few treasure hunter friends and Jeep wrangler friends.. we're going to have to fit everyone in (those who want to tag along) along these points.

Currently we're looking at atops in Western MD, Northern WV, Northern NC & Southern NC (all great points of interested) leading upto the Points of light in asheville. Again.. camping (at least on our end) is a must..

Upvote 0

Jessicamae3

Jun 25, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Other
Emerald village was excellent in North Carolina. Great mine tour. We got the 50$ tub of gems and found that we had much bigger gems and minerals than the others around us that bought the 10$ tub. Three of us took almost 2 1/2 hours to get through. Excellent drive too with wonderful views and great property. I also was given a name of a guy by a rock store lady in spruce pine, nc. He gives tours at emerald village but also takes people out hunting as well. If you are interested let me know. Our time in the mountains was amazing. Now that I am back at sea level, I am wanting to return! I also have a few names of some closed mines that you are able to go and collect from the cast off piles in the "wild" at your will.
Here is where we stayed for the week. It was a very rustic cabin but comfortable inside. It is a friends that I teach with. My son was in the stream all day long after our adventures which was high at the moment due to a rain burst. So, we had no real need to go else where. Sadly, no gold in the stream. More than enough mica to go around! Let me know if you want or need any more info.
Have fun!
image-3167520181.jpg

image-119157577.jpg

image-2787482090.jpg

image-1834647276.jpg

image-1985321438.jpg

image-2888734793.jpg
Sorry about that teachery cartoon...don't know how I managed to attach it!?! Oh and that is a tooth, emeralds and gold in the tubes.

Attachments

• image-3950110483.jpg
    image-3950110483.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1938620227.jpg
    image-1938620227.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-1400708621.jpg
    image-1400708621.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm so glad you all have posted comments.. but hehe, being from NC myself I know all your spots.. well most of them anyway.. We can't help but want to go back.. I psoted this just to have a TN gathering if anyone wanted to met up late Sept.. Killing two birds with stone.. Taking a jeep trail and doing some gem hunting.. If your down that way when we are look us up.. Oh and btw Jess.. Gem Mountain, Spruse Pine has mine tours also, (Aquamarine) and yes we tend to stay with the "bucket" route instead of actually digging..

Upvote 0

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope the trip works out great for ya'l. Sept will be a great time here in the south.WishI knew of a few place here in TN to send you to.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure TeAra.. thou I might convince wife to venture towards that direction cause we havent seen her aunt and uncle in 6 years.. plus they let me drive the jeep down into the field and creek.. Why don't you meet up with us at Points of Light?

Upvote 0

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
I could try. I think our round up is close to that time as well which would put me close to where you will be. I will check and let you know for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
PM Me details and I'll forward our game plan and maybe we can meet in the middle. Thou I doubt we'll be heading towards Spruce Pine, Emerald Village etc.. Were looking more towards Cherrokee.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
TeAra.. We're looking to move that date up to late Aug.. and we may go as far as TN.. Still heading to Points of Light and beyond. Let me know if you still want to get together along our travels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Currently we're doing what's called "Flip a Coin" trip.. but I have a feeling the wife wants to take this one back road down to TN.. with stop overs in Asheville (points of light) and a few side trips to Cherrokee etc.. Yes gem hunting, camping and seeing how my new camera works on this Panaromic option will be just part of our activities..

Dates: 23rd-28th (maybe more) I'm figuring, the 24th we'll be at Points of Light..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
The trip to Points of Light was more than we expected.. and I sort had a feeling before we left.. some of you from TN may have just shown up (unannounced) thou One could be wrong.. The store was very well maintain and in order.. I attempted to take a panoramic view from inside the store, but I guess I just didn't do very will or the stores lights were to dim.

Here is the photos from the days visit: stonewhisper - Points of Light Note the dark panoramic view.. sorry I'm still new with this camera..

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread