Alternatives to EBay

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So as you would know it, in a workplace accident this past Monday, I was injured and will most likely not be returning back to work:occasion14:.That's not so much a tragedy but a blessing since I was planning to retire at the end of March anyway. Between sick leave, vacation and comp time I will still be on payroll till December. Now I have plenty of time to clear out 30+ years of accumulation and continue picking up new (old) items.

I've been selling on EBay every so often but am looking for other outlets for some of my higher priced items.

So far I have looked at Etsy, Lofty and Chairisma.

Does anyone have any experience selling on these sites? Or suggestions for other selling platforms?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
never heard of the last two. I have made a couple sales on bonanza.com It is nicer than ebay but I don't think they get the headcount ebay does. Also amazon.com is a place to sell. I had a college book on half.com for over one year and took it off last sunday and stuck it on amazon and it sold on monday.

so these site are where I have something listed
ebay
esty (I think)
amazon
half
bonanza

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lot of business on etsy. I would say that if you're planning on selling on etsy, you are going to need a large, fairly cohesive inventory. People on etsy like buying from stores that seem like businesses, not just random people selling their things. Find a niche and build up a significant stock of relevant items on your store. Fees are lower and people are willing to pay more for items than ebay, but you will need excellent photos and great customer service to get ahead. Also be sure to make use of the ability to have long titles and include lots of search terms. If you have any specific questions about etsy feel free to send me a PM.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan, do you pay a subscription to sell on Amazon? What is the typical fee you pay to sell something there?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have made a couple sales on bonanza.com It is nicer than ebay but I don't think they get the headcount ebay does.
I registered on Bonanza twice, including earlier today. Never got an account confirmation email either time. Requested "send another confirmation email," never happened. I've read it's a scammers paradise too, after I did some searching around when I couldn't get my account confirmed.

To date, unfortunately there really is nothing that compares to the traffic on eBay other than maybe Amazon, which seems like it may be my next step. Just have to figure out what the best items to sell on there are.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cyberdan, do you pay a subscription to sell on Amazon? What is the typical fee you pay to sell something there?

Seems like Amazon seems to charge more after the sell, but I haven't compared the prices lately. Amazon is the best place to move books and music. Some folks don't like to fathom through Ebay to find their items and they go to Amazon. You can easily list an item as if to sell on Amazon and check the fees out before you commit. They also will not charge you for the listing as Ebay does and you can cancel your inventory. The real problem I have with Amazon is that they automatically set the shipping costs and usually I have to pay a few dollars for insurance and the shipping fees. If there is a way to adjust the shipping price on Amazon, I would like to know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread