Aluminum cans

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
My two kids ages 3 and 4 collect cans around the house. This is their jobs. I drink about a six pack or more of diet Pepsi a day and their grandpa saves for them, so it adds up really quick. The last time they took theirs in they received a little over 60.00 dollars. They put 50% into savings and get to spend the rest.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
snake35 said:
What is the most money that you have ever gotten taking in a load of cans? I just took in $106.00 u.s. That was quite a load.

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! That's a lot of cans! How much was the weight? 130 lbs or so I'm guessing?

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad collects cans from several different members of our family. Every few years he fills up the bed of his truck with boxes filled with cans. The last time he went was a few months ago and got about $400.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
A month ago I got $165. I used to take my 5 cent cans to New york State to cash them in, but there is now a limit of how many you can take at a time so I smash the 5 centers now. Besides the price of gas to go on a 100 mile trip to New York wouldn't be profitable.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
When I was about 7 my Dad and I saved cans FOREVER, we drove back roads and picked them up, saved around the house, had grandma saving them for me. I turned them in and got $98. Bought myself my first bike. It was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

xstevenx

kakcsdad

Feb 5, 2007
cantonment, florida (pensacola)
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT stock and 5.3 coil
seems that cans are a pain in the but to collect..it takes 330 cans to make 10 pounds...to me its alot of effort for alittle bit of money....

if you have access, copper is a good way to go.. it doesnt take long to gain weight vs the money it goes for avg 2.00 bucks or so a lb for #2 copper depending on how much you have ....i hv a customer that lets me hv this particular item and each one has approx 25lbs of copper in it. it takes about 5 minutes to scrap it and i can let it sit till i get ready to take it in and usually get about 3000 g's after abt 3 months of saving it.

so anyway sorry for boring you w/my story...

just my opinion

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most I ever made was $116.00. I got that many cans out of a dumpster at a night club over a two-day weekend.

Huntin' 59er

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, CA in 1980-83 and read a story in our base newspaper about a Sargeant, his wife, and their 2 kids collecting scrap aluminum ( cans, window frames, storm doors, etc ) as a family project for a year. They sold their stash for enough money to buy a new mini-truck. This was when aluminum was bringing 25cents to 30cents a pound.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
I cashed in about a years worth of collecting about 4 years ago. I completely loaded my blazer. I got just over $200.00, Almost enough to pay for the beer for the kids graduation party!

the cans were crush flat .... the easiest way to do that.... dump them in your drive way and roll over them ack and forth with your vechile! Then shovel them into bags.

I used to use an "I" beam attached to a poll, for flating crushed lime stone or pavement, but the blazer worked better and you don't get tired.

Rumblebelly

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem with running them over back and for with your vehicle is you use in gas what money you would get out of the cans. I just crush them with my foot.

OP
OP
S

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I am starting to smash my next load of cans now. I am also piling up my scrap steel. Not much else to do on this rainy day.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Im saving up now as I am trying to get a couple hundred pounds first...I think I have about 75 pounds now though at 50 cents a pound...not bad though considering the weight of cans:)
Pepperpump

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread