Aluminum Christmas Tree

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
~Trish~ said:
Its cute but i wouldnt pay $202.50 for it....You'd be surprised that there are people out there who would.

Those are probably the same people who paid good money for a Pet Rock. The 2 guys who thought of that one became millionares. :thumbsup:

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep... I remember those too. My folks had an all silver one then they had 3 spotlights shining on it. Red, green and (I think) blue. Howwwww tacky..

T

TreasurdiggrNY

A friend of mine had one growing up, just like this one.
[youtube=425,350]RaWUtGl0Snw[/youtube]

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had 2 aunts that always tried to outdo each other at Christmas. They always had the silver tree with the lights that rotated the colors. I was hypnotized with those rotating lights..Oh what we remember of the "old" days..
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I was about to say, going price for a nice aluminum tree ranges $200 - $300.

Economy a bit slow, so they'll go lower this year.

A lot of $folks have fun doing a retro thing.... then there's folks w allergies who do a retro thing...

Really hard to find a good one!

We do a mini-fits in a box one... and usually axe a couple branches off a pine tree for the smell.

I suppose I 'd like one like the Griswold's, but we just can't afford it.

Merry Christmas to all
rmptr

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! I didnt know they were worth money. I tossed mine away. :'(

OP
OP
T

trish76642

bigcypresshunter said:
Wow! I didnt know they were worth money. I tossed mine away. :'(

WHAT! You didnt?! :BangHead:

Hans Christian Ørsted

Who's that Sherman?

Howwwww tacky..
aww come on rwsnc...you really thought it was tacky? I loved it, i have to agree with SC_Hunter...hypnotised by those lights.

Those are probably the same people who paid good money for a Pet Rock. The 2 guys who thought of that one became millionares.

Just makes ya sick dont it shortstack?....life is so unfair

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
~Trish~ ,

"Hans Christian Ørsted
Who's that Sherman?"

In 1825, Ørsted made a significant contribution
to chemistry by producing aluminium for the first time.

have a god un............
SHERMANVILLLE

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
When these trees first came out I said "Who would want such an ugly Christmas tree?"

But the fact is they're now highly collectable and desireable (the originals that is).

I guess they were far ahead of their time when first produced.

I still don't want one but I now can see that they are cool in a way.

Back in the 80's one could often find these sitting by the road waiting for trash pickup. I passed dozens at garage sales even into the early 90's.

One day an original complete and in mint condition will probably sell for thousands.

Badger

OP
OP
T

trish76642

I guess in someway we all try to hold on to the memories of the good ole days.

I know i do..... i'd help my moma with Christmas dinner, we'd set the table together. She always made sure the house was perfect. The whole family would come. Now my Moms not here anymore, we all meet at my daddys, its like pulling teeth to get all my brothers and sisters together. When they do come, they eat and leave cuz they have other places to go. Its usually just me and my hubby sitting there with my daddy an hour and a half later.
I just miss those days so much.

My hubbys family, on Thanksgiving and Christmas. They whole family gets there that morning, the woman are in the kitchen getting everything ready, the guys are watching the game. Everybodys just hanging out talking about the old times, what they used to do when they were kids. The same storys i've heard a million times but i wouldnt trade it for anything.

My mother in law will sing for us, her brother, my hubbys uncle will pull out his guitar, its just a big all day family get together. They all stay until late that night, just having family time. Thats what the Hollidays are suppose to be about. People just dont take the time anymore for their familys. So sad to me.
I guess life just gets in the way, and it shouldnt.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we wuz so poor we wrapped a real tree wit aluminum wrap :D :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
T

trish76642

aa battery said:
we wuz so poor we wrapped a real tree wit aluminum wrap :D :icon_scratch:
heheeee dbl a...
at least you could afford the aluminum!
(i needed that laugh dbl a :-*)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Right Trish. The family is all but lost in the world today.

See, this is the main psychological reason behind the success of metal detecting. While some people are just greedy for loot, most in this hobby want to in some strange way touch the past by digging old stuff.

Most of us would never do what it would take to see those "good old days" come back, but we all long for those old feellings of security and respectability.

Sometimes I get asked what Christmas will be like near the end of this century. I usually inform the questioner that I'm no prophet but I'm guessing Christmas will be out due to offending so many. In the future it will be something like Winter Solstice. They will exchange gifts and the main emphasis will be on materialism and a blend of paganism, Christianity, Islam, etc. For the most part this season will be pagan in the future. By that I mean Christ's birth will be totally left out.

For now we can remember our childhoods when children were taught to respect their elders, we went to Church to watch a "Christmas Play" (or be in one), and we all watched for good old Saint Nick.

This lifestyle exists mostly today only in the memories of us old timers.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
We always had a real tree. I did see a lot of folks with the aluminum ones, when I was growing up. Never thought they would become collectable. Just thought it was a tacky fad.

Go figure.

Guess eveything goes out of style and then comes back in.

Merry Christmas to you all. ( No matte what kind of tree you have :thumbsup:)

Ray S

OP
OP
T

trish76642

MB..no one could have said that any better.....sad isnt it. But you know what? Its up to us to keep the spirit alive, i have 2 beautiful little grandbabies now, neither one has turned 1 yet. Im gonna do my best to give them the very best Christmas memories that i can.

Ray...Merry Christmas to you too!

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I was going to say that, with the way this thread was going that I wouldn't tell y'all about having a real tree for Christmas, it would really give away my age...
For the last two years, I've been able to celebrate with my two grandsons and my daughter and her husband, long story...Christmas is about family, spending time with and sharing the love. It doesn't matter what type of tree that we have, just the fact that I have my family around makes my heart feel good...Merry Christmas to you and yours Trish...also to everyone else...Just don't forget the reason for the season..

OP
OP
T

trish76642

oldgoat said:
I was going to say that, with the way this thread was going that I wouldn't tell y'all about having a real tree for Christmas, it would really give away my age...
For the last two years, I've been able to celebrate with my two grandsons and my daughter and her husband, long story...Christmas is about family, spending time with and sharing the love. It doesn't matter what type of tree that we have, just the fact that I have my family around makes my heart feel good...Merry Christmas to you and yours Trish...also to everyone else...Just don't forget the reason for the season..
Amen to that oldgoat...and a very Merry Christmas to you too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread