Aluminum Menace. Down to earth LoL

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
After a few great days I guess I got a taste of reality. And I did a first today. I was in a cornfield, one with a house that had been burned down in recent years. They finally came with the machinery and tore up the house. Hauled a good part of it off, but still there is more left to haul off.

Also they brought some machinery to chop up the ground in the cornfield area. First 2 hits were clad quarter, dime, dime, so thought might be good clad day or perhaps a silver surprise. But the next 3 hours taught me differently. Apparently the combination of flood waters depositing silt and machinery from this week or years past managed to find lots of aluminum can bags or just someone constantly threw aluminum cans in the field.

Anways, The solid coin signals were 5" to 6"+ on my detector. I thought for sure I had found a lucky spot. Nickel and solid coin signals with the sound of quarter of course turned up to be a great pile of aluminum can squashed up scraps.

The thing I did that I have never did before was dump out all of those scraps in the middle of the house debris. I have to admit the wet, mud, cold and wind with the aluminum was a big bummer.

I am not going to post any pics yet. I got 47 cents total in clad. But I did get an interesting, modern looking button. But it's got one really sweet design. It is so dark that I cannot get a good pic off it. If I can get lucky enough to get a good pic and show the detail on the button will post a pic.

Guess this week leveled out after today. 2 great days. And one day of aluminum scraps a plenty. And one day of larger bottle caps from the large beer bottles. LoL bet you guys all love those finds in huge concentrations. Especially at good depths and great looking spots. Of course unlike full aluminum cans you cannot guess aluminum cans by the pinpoint length.

Thanks for the read. I have not been posting my so so days so far. But I really should post a few of them. That way I can go back and read these days when I get a really really bad day. Then these days won't seem so bad.

Postalrevnant

Upvote 0

musclecar

Oct 15, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I feel your blues. I found a similar site,,,, all nails,, square ones though, but I got tired of digging them. I like finding square nails,, they date the site,,, but time, after time,,,, after time,,, :) that stinks.

HH

MC

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
musclecar said:
I feel your blues. I found a similar site,,,, all nails,, square ones though, but I got tired of digging them. I like finding square nails,, they date the site,,, but time, after time,,,, after time,,, :) that stinks.

HH

MC

LoL Amen they suck. Sad part is I have never found anything of interest at the 3 sites I found filled with the square nails. Perhap someone really beat me to it.

I heard a guy around here used to mark off his digs on the ground. He was a very early metal detector to our area. What I hear is he cleaned up very well and cranked out some silver and other great coins. However, since he marked up areas with small chalk line, he would bury back his other finds just to keep other hunters looking for a while follwing in his footsteps.

Dirty eh?

Rev

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Post, I too have had a few of them and enjoyed your post anyway.

tinpan

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
its ok postal you gave it a shot and that is what is important, like sherm and tinpan said we all have days that we dont find a lot, they are the days, we say tomorrow is another day. thnks for sharing
hh
dave+bobbie

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real bummer Post....I think everyone can relate though :D. At least you found a little clad ;D.

Better luck next time!​

HH/NS​

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I feel your pain! What's just as bad if not worse is when you have a site that the lawn mowers rip up the aluminum cans and spread it out all over. I just give up on nickel signals there.

Bob

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
If it will make you feel better I'll swap some nails for some cans. I even have very large square ones? At least you got out, a bad day of huntin' is still better than a good day at work!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happens, makes you really appreciate the next time you find some goodies, LOL! 47 cents is better than many of my off days. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I appreciate all of your kind words. I saw a few posts while I was thinking of buying a metal detector. They were posts where peps were talking about days that you would have. Days of loads of trash and not much else. I can't remember who posted this, but one day someone posted a huge collection of bottle caps, aluminum, nails etc.

That was kinda what I meant with this post. I believe that some peps see our good posts and might actually think that is what it is all the time. Recently I remember Mainedigger showing one that all is not roses each day.

Since I have not been posting all the bad, tough days I thought this was a good example for me to refer to and others of what some days bring.

LoL any of us that MD often will certainly have these days. As a bonus, an unintended bonus, I got lots of great words of encouragement from great members. That is awesome.

I would like to say that my Bounty Hunter could not have handled that spot. I would not have found much at all with it. And I am very thankful to have that CZ-6A now. The BH would have beeped and went on with every piece of corn stalk weed that was sticking up out of the ground. I would have had so many false signals I would have easily given up.

SO on a great note I finally have a detector that can handle these conditions. Yesterday it might have been the aluminum scurge. Tomorrow perhaps the silver streak. Of course gotta get the truck out of the shop again LoL. This is the first vehicle that I have ever owned that runs great, starts great, and seems to be wonderful. Yet out of the blue it strands me often. Nuts eh?

Anyways got 3 interviews this week to attend to. Competition is fierce so I probably won't be detecting much. Of course I don't think I can get these jobs (just wasting lots of gas on long trips probably) because they want much more experience and I am only getting an interview because of the certifications I think. I am pretty fired up about a resume I sent out today though.

Great job, great pay will accept starting level Microsoft certifications a plus. I would imagine the competition would be a lot on that one too. However all the things they ask for as a bonus I am certified for as high as possible. And this is the first interview that they are going to set up a computer test for all candidates. I am really looking forward to this one. Finally, someone is going to test me on what I know and not how many years on my paper. They can see that 1 year of experience of supporting 100's of medium - large computer networks is indeed more experience than 4 years of watching one server and the same 10 computers. That is how I have been getting beaten so far.

All one can ask for is a fair test with a chance to show your stuff. THankfully I have one coming. Now its just up to me to shine. The other 3 this week I am unsure if I even feel like going. No test, I requested one, but they are just meeting peps. 2 of even said "Don't sweat it we are not really going to be asking too many questions about computers just about where you worked"

LoL OMG that is how they interview? Sadly it seems to be the way of it. I know its expensive to set up a test for many. But how expensive is it to turn over $100,000+ in computers and invaluable data based on a paper?

Thanks for those great words. I really can live with digging aluminum 3 times a week if I can find a good job and escape the place I was born again.

Ty for the read. And once again if you are a new detector, which if you were you probably didn't take the time to read this mess LoL, just remember most days you do not pull out the spectacular.

Postalrevnant

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Hey, take the aluminum home, rinse it off, let it dry, then go turn it in at a scrap metal place! If nothing else, a) you will have cleaned up the site (thereby leaving it better than you found it) and b) you will have possibly got enough money back to pay for your gas!!!

Of course, it is only a suggestion. That cache of silver and gold is just around the corner!
:)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer, dude. :( But, hey, aluminum cans are 50 cents a pound!! Copper is around three dollars a pound. Keep those scraps!!!!

Laater...

ZoSo71

Nov 5, 2006
Somewhere near Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX / Modded BH Land Star
Postal..I know what your saying... Bummer..The site sounded like a good one too...

Mirage said "What's just as bad if not worse is when you have a site that the lawn mowers rip up the aluminum cans and spread it out all over. I just give up on nickel signals there."

Yep..That's what I deal with at "The Silver Mine" Jewlery and Nickels are a hard find unless it's showing deep..
Years and years of lazy maintence guys not wanting to pickup the cans just run them over..I figure..for every 150 pull-tabs and shredded cans..I find a ring or a pendant.. I should just cash in on the Aluminum, It's alot easier to find.

ZoSo71

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck on your next detecting Adventures! Those aluminum cans always get your hopes up until you dig them and then it hits you! :)

HH The Seeker

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
It seems that we have to pay our dues to get to the goodies sometimes! I can relate my friend. Best of luck to you out there. Keep the finds coming! Us up north sitting on frozen ground soon will need someting to read to keep us going.

Smiles!
BDoo

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah... I can relate! :D
In fact.....most of my posts here are full of nothingness! :D But ya'll still put up with me. ;D

Get back out there and find those goodies, Post!

Nana :)

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Nana40 said:
Yeah... I can relate! :D
In fact.....most of my posts here are full of nothingness! :D But ya'll still put up with me. ;D

Get back out there and find those goodies, Post!

Nana :)

LoL your a card Nana

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto on what Sherman said! ;D I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome from all this typing! ::) Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread