Aluminum Screw on Bottle Caps with the AT Pro

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way to deal with Aluminum screw on bottle caps ? These were once common on quart size beer bottles. I'm in an area full of them. They ring in as a good target. They are ringing in 76 to 79 in the small silver range. I'm running in Pro Zero and tried Pro coin with the same results as I suspect Pro Coin picks up the circular shape of the bottle cap and Id's it as a coin. Is there a subtle signal that I'm missing ? It wouldn't be impossible that I could miss a subtle signal wearing headphones as I do have some hearing loss. I'm hunting a mid 1800's house that could have some potential as it's never been hunted before. Does the Pro give off a burp, fart, or a grunt that I should be looking for or do I just have to dig all the dirt demons that are in disguise without notching 76 to 79 out ?

rreahard

Mar 29, 2016
Hammond, LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to know the same thing..

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottle caps and 22 shell casings are a problem for me also . All you can do is dig them . I would stay in pro zero instead of coin mode .

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Aluminum caps are sweet silver tones on all machines. All you can do is clean them out.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are but on a Deus you will get an iron buzz when you wiggle the coil to the edge of the bottle cap.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is difficult to tell them apart. Like they said earlier, clean them out so that you dont have to deal with them later! I don't know if its me or my machine but coins sound a little softer. Aluminum screw caps sound more bold. Same pitch but softer on coins and bolder on caps. In the end it's quite difficult. I have 2+ years of expirience with my machine. Great machine too!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you can tell the difference, they may be masking a good target so your better off to get rid of them.

HH RN

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try raising the coil as you go over them and see if the signal breaks up. I do this for the other bottle caps and it seems to work

OP
OP
Rustynailsandscrews

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps and 22 shell casings are a problem for me also . All you can do is dig them . I would stay in pro zero instead of coin mode .

I have had my fair share of run in's with .22 caliber shells and they also can sound good !!!!

OP
OP
Rustynailsandscrews

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really is difficult to tell them apart. Like they said earlier, clean them out so that you dont have to deal with them later! I don't know if its me or my machine but coins sound a little softer. Aluminum screw caps sound more bold. Same pitch but softer on coins and bolder on caps. In the end it's quite difficult. I have 2+ years of expirience with my machine. Great machine too!

Probably too subtle of a difference for me to pick up on due to some of my hearing loss.

OP
OP
Rustynailsandscrews

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum caps are sweet silver tones on all machines. All you can do is clean them out.

Well I have a lot of cleaning out to do. I found one today a solid 6" down and was convinced that it had to be a coin at that depth. Of course NOT !!!
By the research I have done, these aluminum caps have been around 25 to 30 years. So a very light weight aluminum cap with a plastic liner sank 6" in that time span with no damage or being crushed. So much for Cherry Picking high signals at this spot !!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is going to be hard to determine which signal is a screw cap on ATP because if its circuity. Few other detectors can properly disc these out. Only recourse is to dig if you stick with single freq. detectors.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Even tho you would probably dig them anyway, coins alway's seem to have a sharp cut off point. Hard to pass up a signal tho!!

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the right headphones and sweep speed I've found that most of these make a subtle "thunk" on the edges when you go over them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread