Always go back for more (kinda pic heavy)

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
After 2 skunk boxes of halves this weekend, I was hoping for better luck this week. Unfortunately, I had to work late, and wasn't able to stop by a bank on my way home until just before closing time. I was able to get some CWR dimes and nickels, though. Had just pulled out of the parking lot into traffic and couldn't resist taking a peek at the dimes. Selected a roll by feel and opened it into my hand while driving with my knees. Looked down and almost drove off the road: :o
DSC04224.JPG

Somehow managed to avoid an accident as I pulled over to the shoulder and took a closer look. 14 silver dimes, including a mercury. I quickly pulled a U-turn, and got back to the bank before they closed. I told the teller that I collect coins, and that I found one I had been looking for for years in what she gave me, and did she have any more from the same source? She was very friendly, pulling out all her wrapped coins for me to look over. She even offered to let me open them up look through them, but tempted as I was I declined. I bought all the CWR dimes she had ($350), all the nickels (only about $30), and even the quarters ($210), though I've never had luck with them. I was too flustered to even think about pennies.

Fortunately, it was getting dark, so I was able to make it home without looking through them on the way and probably causing an accident. I've just now finished going through everything but the full box of dimes. My results so far:

The first roll, pictured above, had the Mercury head, and 13 Rosies.
DSC04226.JPG

Oddly enough, it also had a penny that had been ground down somehow so that it was smaller than a dime.
DSC04231.JPG

Another dime roll had an ender!

DSC04223.JPG

Ok, so it was a penny ender. This was a real weird batch; several nickel and dime rolls had pennies inside, and most of the nickel rolls had too many nickels. Most of the quarter rolls were short 1 or 2. The penny ender dime roll turned out to be another heart-stopper:
DSC04216.JPG

with 11 Rosies and 2 mercury heads, as well as another ground down penny.
DSC04222.JPG
DSC04220.JPG

I debated over whether or not to take the quarters, as I've never found a silver in the wild before. Glad I did, as tonight I got my first - a 1959.

There were lots of nickels from the 40's and 50's, but only one war nickel, a 1944 P. And rounding out the oddities was what appears to be a St. Andrew's brass token or ball marker, I can't tell which.

DSC04232.JPG
DSC04234.JPG

Sub totals for the night (still have $230 in dimes to go through tomorrow):

1944P war nickel

1959 quarter

Roosevelt Dimes:
1964D x 6, 1964 x 3, 1963D, 1963 x 5, 1962D x 2, 1961D x 2, 1961, 1959, 1958D, 1955, 54D, 54, 1953D, 1952D, 1952S, 1951 x 2, 1948, 1947D, 1946 x 2.

Mercury Dimes: 1945 x 2, 1944

Sorry for the long post, I'm still so pumped I don't know if I'll be able to sleep! I didn't keep track good enough to know what all I kept from missing by going back for more, other than the silver quarter, which to me was more than enough!

Happy hunting to you all! ;D

Upvote 0

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome score man hopefully that same persone chooses to dump some more!

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Congrats! Those rolls look to be in the same style wrappers I found just under 500 silver roosies in December! There were 9 solid rolls and some partials. You did the right thing getting them all! Also, the bank I scored those solid rolls at has been a nice little consistent producer since then. Now everytime I see one of those wrappers my heart skips a beat!!!!

Awesome haul, can't wait to hear the final tally. :icon_thumright:

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds there FT ! Thanks for sharing.

Newbies, take note: When a suspected Ag vein was hit, FT went back and bought more (hoping they were from the same source as the first).

Equally important, note how FT refused to cherry pick while in the bank; even though the teller would have been OK with it. Always, buy all they have (or whatever your wallet can support) as the more selective you are about you buy, the more questions arise.......and bringing attention to Ag will never bode well for CRHers. Which is another reason why you never use the "S" word.

Again, much kudos FT.

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Awesome pics and a great story. You did well with your silver hoard. May you find even more and please post more pics of the remaining silver you find. :icon_thumright:

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and may you find some more! Great Score!

HH Dave

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome score and neat story dammit now I'm itching to get to the bank. :laughing9:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only see one flaw to this story....

Please, I beg you please! DO NOT sort coins while driving.

I know many of us are guilty of it, Present company included, but I have learned. Its not worth it.

Besides that nice haul.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your posted inspired me to get 20 CRWs dime.....result is skunk.

I did get my first war nickel from 10 rolls of MRW nickels.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Back to reality. I went through the last $230 of dimes, didn't find a thing. Kind of odd, considering that at that particular branch I usually average 1 silver per $125 or so in CWR dimes. On the other hand, I guess after last night my average at that branch is considerably higher now! ;D

Thanks for all the replies! 47th, I agree with you on sorting while driving; as I said, I just couldn't resist taking a peek, and in this case it paid off, but could have cost me. I used to sort while I drove, keeping an eye on the road and only glancing down occasionally. As time went on, I found that I was paying less and less attention to the road. Fortunately I realized in time that it was getting out of control, and have pretty much stopped. You're right in that it's not worth it.

Total haul, no change from last night. 37 silver dimes, 1 silver quarter, 1 war nickel. Definitely my best dime score to date, and my first silver quarter!

Good luck everyone! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread