Always listen to your gut feeling, King George reminded me of this

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my way to an area I started detecting recently, I noticed a park in an old historic area right near the center of town. I did one of those "should I" "but no it has to of been hammered to death", the slow down, speed up, slow down, and then I finally took off to my original destination (but had that feeling, that feeling in the back of your head that you made the wrong choice). At my original destination I detected for around an hour or so and then here comes the rain, and I mean pouring. I sat in my truck and thought should I wait it out or should I just call it and head home. I swear I could here Ol George in the background calling me to that park I past earlier. So I threw it in reverse and on my way I go. I finally arrive at the park and it stops raining almost immediatily as I pull in the parking lot. I get out, fire up the Deus, and start detecting with very little happening. I said to myself "yeup see I was right this place was hammered". As I start heading back towards the truck, I had this feeling, I look down in this one area off in the distance that didn't look like anything special, just had that feeling. So I walked down to that spot, start swinging the detector and bam first nice signal. I reach down and cut a plug, and as soon as I lift the plug, there and behold is Ol George greeting me, and it was my first ever encounter with George. After staring at the coin and taking a few breaths, I start swinging again. Next nice signal I pull out a 1908 V nickel, I couldn't believe it. Just a minute ago I was thinking how this was going to be a dud, now just ten minutes later Im thinking I hit the honey hole. Well just 5 minutes or so later here comes the rain again, so I had to pack it up and head home. What a strange trip it was today.

Sorry for the dud pictures, I just cant seem to snap good pictures like some of you guys on here.

Can anyone tell me anything about the King George, I cant find or see any date on it.

I have to give a thumbs up to George (Vino), who spent sometime with me on the phone and provided a program for me to try, worked out great! Thanks George!!

Sorry for the long story, I enjoy the posts with a little storyline behind the find(s) it makes it more interesting.

1908 v nickel back.jpg 1908 v nickel front.jpg king george back.jpg king george front.jpg

Upvote 18

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a Connecticut Copper halfpenny!! Much better than a King George I, II, or III halfpenny for sure! Compare it to the one I found with the link under my avatar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Erik I had no idea, thanks for your help, any idea of approx. date?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like 1787 as there were 200 die varieties in that year alone...they were only minted for four years (1785-1788) so definitely a 1700s coin and a great find! Sounds like you found yourself a virgin park and quite a good one.

BTW, your pics are quite good. Pull the camera back a bit and zoom in to frame the coin a bit better. The oil and blue background give a nice contrast to the coins.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, good job going with your gut feeling, that's a great couple of coins for a short time!

that George, always there to lend a hand, hes my hero lol!!!

good job on that copper!!!!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes! GREAT copper!

I can only dream! Congrats!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you must learn quick. From an Ace 350 to a Dues. Sweet finds. :occasion14:

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you must learn quick. From an Ace 350 to a Dues. Sweet finds. :occasion14:

Well Ill tell ya Loco the Dues is a great machine, but i have made some very nice finds with the ace also. I have probably somewhere around 100+ hours on the Dues and for sure still learning.

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, good job going with your gut feeling, that's a great couple of coins for a short time!

that George, always there to lend a hand, hes my hero lol!!!

good job on that copper!!!!

Thanks Cjon, Erik pointed out to me that its not a King George but a Connecticut copper, very pleased.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cjon, Erik pointed out to me that its not a King George but a Connecticut copper, very pleased.
as you should be, that's a terrific find!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES SIR I CONCOUR..................

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a awsome find!!!
Really glad that program helped!
Like Erik said much better then a stinking KG!!! Lol.
I would definitely get back to that park, might just be some old silvers there????
George

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a awsome find!!!
Really glad that program helped!
Like Erik said much better then a stinking KG!!! Lol.
I would definitely get back to that park, might just be some old silvers there????
George

Oh you better believe I will be back there:laughing7:, i barely even touched that place. If I wasnt so tired as we speak I would be throwing the ol headlight on my head and run over there. I will tell ya George
that coin sure banged with upping the audio response from 3 to 4. The only draw back if any is running in 12kz, I have to always turn it down to 8kz when I am using my TRX PP then re-switching back to 12. I wonder if
offsetting the 12kz frequency would do the trick, I should have tried that.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh you better believe I will be back there:laughing7:, i barely even touched that place. If I wasnt so tired as we speak I would be throwing the ol headlight on my head and run over there. I will tell ya George
that coin sure banged with upping the audio response from 3 to 4. The only draw back if any is running in 12kz, I have to always turn it down to 8kz when I am using my TRX PP then re-switching back to 12. I wonder if
offsetting the 12kz frequency would do the trick, I should have tried that.

I wouldn't off set the frequency, just get a different pinpionter. .lol.
That would probably work..
Just remember to set ur TX power first..
Look forward to more of ur posts!!
George

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go with the Deus, and your gut! Really nice finds and there must be more. Your pics are clear and look good. I would just rotate them so they are the right way up!

Inches from Insanity

Jul 19, 2013
Russell, KS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum, Whites DFX, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!!
No apologies needed for the "long" post. I agree - the finds with a story are WAY better IMHO.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread