Always listen to your gut feeling, King George reminded me of this

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my way to an area I started detecting recently, I noticed a park in an old historic area right near the center of town. I did one of those "should I" "but no it has to of been hammered to death", the slow down, speed up, slow down, and then I finally took off to my original destination (but had that feeling, that feeling in the back of your head that you made the wrong choice). At my original destination I detected for around an hour or so and then here comes the rain, and I mean pouring. I sat in my truck and thought should I wait it out or should I just call it and head home. I swear I could here Ol George in the background calling me to that park I past earlier. So I threw it in reverse and on my way I go. I finally arrive at the park and it stops raining almost immediatily as I pull in the parking lot. I get out, fire up the Deus, and start detecting with very little happening. I said to myself "yeup see I was right this place was hammered". As I start heading back towards the truck, I had this feeling, I look down in this one area off in the distance that didn't look like anything special, just had that feeling. So I walked down to that spot, start swinging the detector and bam first nice signal. I reach down and cut a plug, and as soon as I lift the plug, there and behold is Ol George greeting me, and it was my first ever encounter with George. After staring at the coin and taking a few breaths, I start swinging again. Next nice signal I pull out a 1908 V nickel, I couldn't believe it. Just a minute ago I was thinking how this was going to be a dud, now just ten minutes later Im thinking I hit the honey hole. Well just 5 minutes or so later here comes the rain again, so I had to pack it up and head home. What a strange trip it was today.

Sorry for the dud pictures, I just cant seem to snap good pictures like some of you guys on here.

Can anyone tell me anything about the King George, I cant find or see any date on it.

I have to give a thumbs up to George (Vino), who spent sometime with me on the phone and provided a program for me to try, worked out great! Thanks George!!

Sorry for the long story, I enjoy the posts with a little storyline behind the find(s) it makes it more interesting.

1908 v nickel back.jpg 1908 v nickel front.jpg king george back.jpg king george front.jpg

Upvote 18

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap I'm looking forard to my first season with this great machine.

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To include, I just found out that they just renovated the park last year. They stripped the top layer and re-sodded (the kind of strippers I dont like:laughing7:. I just wish I was there with the top layer removed:dontknow:. Well I will still plug away and see what is left there, there still will be some goodies to be had. I am just mistified that this park hasnt been hammered to death, it just in such an obvious place.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It may have been hammered, but the stripping of the top layer let you get to stuff people had a hard time or couldn't reach. Then again sometimes the most obvious places don't get searched very hard--it happened with a small park in my hometown where I found all kinds of stuff including a bunch of silver coins when I first started detecting.

You may want to contact the DPW in that town to find out where they took the dirt they removed. There may be a lot of old coins and relics in that layer and it may be just sitting in a pile somewhere in town.

To include, I just found out that they just renovated the park last year. They stripped the top layer and re-sodded (the kind of strippers I dont like:laughing7:. I just wish I was there with the top layer removed:dontknow:. Well I will still plug away and see what is left there, there still will be some goodies to be had. I am just mistified that this park hasnt been hammered to death, it just in such an obvious place.

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I wouldn't off set the frequency, just get a different pinpionter. .lol.
That would probably work..
Just remember to set ur TX power first..
Look forward to more of ur posts!!
George

Awesome find bspkayaker! I had the Garrett Propointer for a while but found mine falsed too much and gave the Deus fits at times....I use the Deteknix now and haven't looked back. It's not waterproof and goes through batteries faster, but it never falses or interferes with the Deus. Got mine for $80
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tool-shed/428310-deteknix-xpointer.html

Hope you clean up the rest of that park!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find bspkayaker! I had the Garrett Propointer for a while but found mine falsed too much and gave the Deus fits at times....I use the Deteknix now and haven't looked back. It's not waterproof and goes through batteries faster, but it never falses or interferes with the Deus. Got mine for $80

Hey Ggossage, i have 4 different PPs, and the deteknix is by far my favorite. .Never falses!!!!

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ill have to maybe pick up the Deteknix, what frequency does the Deteknix run in?

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been hammered, but the stripping of the top layer let you get to stuff people had a hard time or couldn't reach. Then again sometimes the most obvious places don't get searched very hard--it happened with a small park in my hometown where I found all kinds of stuff including a bunch of silver coins when I first started detecting.

You may want to contact the DPW in that town to find out where they took the dirt they removed. There may be a lot of old coins and relics in that layer and it may be just sitting in a pile somewhere in town.

I think that is a good idea, will certainly inquire

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the big question, and I know its all over the forum, but what is the best way to clean this beauty up? just a long soak in olive oil? I certainly dont want to damage it.

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ggossage, i have 4 different PPs, and the deteknix is by far my favorite. .Never falses!!!!

Is the Deteknix as powerful as the TRX? and does it have a side scan like the Garrett?

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the Deteknix as powerful as the TRX? and does it have a side scan like the Garrett?

No its not as powerful, and not sure about side scan..
But thats why i like it some much..
If it beeps, you know the target is close.. Its dumb, it only beeps if the target is within 2 or 3inches.
But it does eat up some batterys..
I have the TRX, the Propointer, the macro, and the Minelab. But the cheap one I think is the best for me!

OP
OP
bspkayaker

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No its not as powerful, and not sure about side scan..
But thats why i like it some much..
If it beeps, you know the target is close.. Its dumb, it only beeps if the target is within 2 or 3inches.
But it does eat up some batterys..
I have the TRX, the Propointer, the macro, and the Minelab. But the cheap one I think is the best for me!

George I need your advice on cleaning/protecting this coin, what do you think?

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George I need your advice on cleaning/protecting this coin, what do you think?

Well not sure what else you can do to it.. I think what you see is what you get..
If you give it a long soak in mineral oil. Every few days take it out and brush it with a toothbrush, change the oil and soak again till you are happy with it. You might see a difference, or it could get worse.
Keep a eye on it.
Thats my 2 cents. .lol.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good gut feeling to have

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really nice finds.

I totally agree with you on the gut/intuition/instincts.

I call it my "little voice" and it has led me to several nice gold finds and a 1787 NJ copper this year.
Can't wait to hear what it tells me next.

My theory is that the subconscious mind is connected to the universal mind or collective consciousness or whatever you wanna' call it; which basically contains all knowledge/information. It's just a matter of tuning in.

Thomas Edison, Paul McCartney, Keith Richards and many other believe this as well and received lots of info this way. Paul wrote "yesterday" after dreaming the melody. Keith Richards received "satisfaction" in basically the same way. Edison claimed that his ideas were all "in the air" and that he simply tuned into the information and acted on it; very often in a state of twilight sleep or a hypnagogic state when his conscious mind was basically out of the way.

If you can quiet the noise/chatter, listen closely and in my case, ALWAYS trust not only the intuitive hit but the FIRST hit. It's been my experience that you can never go wrong that way.

So although it may sound kinda' "out there", the proof is in the treasure once it's found.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Connecticut copper. The less obvious spots in the older areas can really produce. You always have to think about how it was... not how it is now. Areas that are harder to detect, like where the shrubs are, don't usually get hit very hard.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions