Am I doing something worng??

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, TreasureKidd again! I am now officially into my second weekend of MDing! I have been to several schoolyards and found a TON of clad. This morning I hit an "off the beaten path" beach area, and later a fresh water pond area that had a public beach back in the 60s-70s and hardly found anything, just a few clads and an axehead. I was wondering why I am finding so much clad at schoolyards, and so little on the beaches. I am using a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (I know, a toy, lol!) and I am using it in full dicrimination mode, with the discrimation turned fairly low. Using it in this manner, I seem to be detecting coins failry well, along with aluminum (cans and pull tabs), but rejecting iron, right? Would any of you be doing this differently? Any help for a newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hi Treasurekidd, I don't know anything about your machine but I would have to say, your doing damm good for only 2 weeks! :) I've been at it only bout 2 months and all I found is a few dollars clad. I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong! :-[ .... :( Wish I could find an ax head..

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis,
Well, I geuss we'll just have to keep at it! As for the axehead, it's not an old axehead, lol! You can have it if you want it! Good luck on your next trip out. I'm hitting City Park in the morning, probably try the parking area, around the picnic tables, and hit the beach for awhile!

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
from what you are saying, it sounds like your hitting the kind of areas that would normally turn up a lot of clad. If you are looking for silver coinage or rings you need to hit some older areas. You have had enough time to get used to your machine so it sounds like you need to spend some time in private yards, preferably old. The only places that I find older coinage is on private property. remeber, one of the fundamentals to metall detecting is knowing how to choose your hunting grounds. If you know some older spots I would say try your luck there. It has a lot more to do with where you hunt as opposed to how much you hunt.

OP
OP
treasurekidd

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you there, Seeker! While finding clad is always nice, it's like the gravy - and I want the turkey and mashed potatoes! I have found about $15.00 in clad, so I'm on my way to paying off the Bounty Hunter, but I want the good stuff - older coins, jewelry, etc. I guess its time to change tactics!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your talking a saltwater beach you can't work the wet sand with that unit.VLF isn't worth a darn due to conductivity of salt,coupled with wet sand and you get thousands of falsing sounds. Better unit for those conditions.Back of disc for silver and gold finds.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread