Am I in a Good Location?

NAD92

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHello, my thread applies to the state of Maryland.

The area I have found used to be a rural road but it has now closed down.

This area contains many of these vintage(?) Clorox Bottles. I feel like this site might contain some age too because it has an abundance of old fashioned Beer Cans, Vintage looking dial telephones, glass Coke and Pepsi Bottles, random car tires, copper wire...the list goes on. Why is this? I have never seen anything like it...and while many of the bottles are broken there are also these interesting shaped bottles as well. Some are very small and look as if they have a dropper bottle on the top of them..

Below I took a few pictures of some decent findings I thought. I am sorry the quality is bad. However I believe that one with old knowledge on this could help me out. I found only 2 plastic engraved Clorox bottles, while I also found 3 Clorox Bottles with metal caps. I thought that liquor bottle was interesting too so I grabbed it. I believe it has the old government warning about prohibition on it. I will have to clean it up to tell.

My belief is that I am on a spot potentially as old as the 1930's however with all the scrap metal and broken shards everywhere would it even be worth metal detecting or exploring further? I know Maryland has deep history and I think I might be looking a t a forgotten walked over path.

Last edited:
I think you found a trash dump. Those are fun to dig around in. The Clorox bottles look like they're from 1920s to 1950s era. No telling how long forks dumped their garbage there, so who knows what else and how old your finds will be. As for the doll head. Sellers list them as "creepy doll heads" on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=creepy+doll+heads&_sop=16 I guess they're artist who work in the medium of trash dump stuff??. I know I wouldn't give $1600.00 for any art made of doll heads, but maybe some will :dontknow:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Youre probably on to a good spot. As far as detecting, I think I'd leave the detector in the car and make a sifting screen to find small stuff. It'll be a lot of digging, and you'll want some good gloves, but odds are there's some good stuff waiting there for you.

Upvote 0
Dude that is cool. I would keep looking you might find some valuable stuff one mans trash...... I found a trash dump spot before the Michigan freeze came cant wit to go back when it warms up. Look under the search on this site for pits dumps cellars and see the finds people have made and this might help you make up your mind on what to do.

Upvote 0
it has an abundance of old fashioned Beer Cans, Vintage looking dial telephones, glass Coke and Pepsi Bottles

Do you mean cone top beer cans? Cone tops are normally from the late 1930's and 1940's. Steel flat top cans are mid-1940's to the 1960's.

Coke bottles will usually have a patent date on them. The patent date is usually 5 to 10 years earlier than the age of the bottle. For example a 1923 patent date means the bottle is from the late 1920's to the 1930's.

Upvote 0
Good luck with that spot.
If you here banjos, RUN!

Upvote 0
When you say "vintage looking dial telephones" do you mean the hard plastic/Bakelite rotary phones? Those would be cool. This sounds like an intriguing dump. Could you take more pictures of the dump? It sounds really cool!

Upvote 0
When you say "vintage looking dial telephones" do you mean the hard plastic/Bakelite rotary phones? Those would be cool. This sounds like an intriguing dump. Could you take more pictures of the dump? It sounds really cool!

Yes, hard plastic, black, is rotary.

Keep finding old cars and car parts. I found a 2 door convertible designed with no trunk or backseat out there too.

So many vintage Clorox bottles.

Oh yeah, I also did find REALLY nice china glass but it was all broken. Looks like some porcelain vases too.

I'll take a pic of the car next time I'm there.

Upvote 0
Some of those old beer cans are worth serious cash particularly the cone top type if in decent condition.

Steve

Upvote 0
Anyone else? Gonna give it a look this summer again..I like the idea of making a sifter...

Upvote 0
That could be a good location! I have found small farmers dumps with many of those Clorox bottles. In one dump I found some really cool stuff like a 14K wedding ring from 1920, an intact crock from the early 1900s, and a cloak clasp which was made in the Victorian Era just to name a few. Give that spot some time!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back