am i missing the boat

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you answered your own question :icon_thumleft:
Don't use them myself.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if your hearing is a little weak like mine, you won't know what you're missing without them

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones also extend battery life. I use them year round. They help to keep my ears warm in the brutal winters we face down here in south Georgia. Sometimes the lows drop into the 30s!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you definitely are missing targets because by not using headphones you're not allowing yourself to get to the next level of concentration which requires hearing different aspects of the sound, something that can't be done well through a speaker.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found the sound draws unneeded attention to myself and what I'm doing. It also blocks out the outside world and lets me focus 100% on something I love to do.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me it is the drawling of attention to yourself. People follow you ,ask questions or think you should not be there no matter what the case. I have had the cops called on me by people who had no right to say if I am allowed to hunt or not also headphones knock out a lot of back ground noise that may be a distraction.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides headphones not calling attention to yourself, they provide the extra sound quality you do not get from the cheap speaker in the detector. I'll bet by not using them you left lots of deep silver still in the ground.

Attachments

• blackwidowfull.jpg
    blackwidowfull.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 431
  • blackwidowfull.jpg
    blackwidowfull.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 428

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Sandman said:
Besides headphones not calling attention to yourself, they provide the extra sound quality you do not get from the cheap speaker in the detector. I'll bet by not using them you left lots of deep silver still in the ground.
Exactly the reason why I use them. Couldn't have said it better. The faint barely heard sounds that would be drowned out by the noises around you without them are often the deeper (older) finds.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
For beach hunting they're a MUST have! Waves,wind,squealing kids,..all combine to drown out the speaker. Plus you disturb sunbathers peace without them,as well as attracting the afore mentioned attention.

In fields,woods,parks,schools etc...then it's your own choice.American outdoors places can be dangerous and sometimes it's better to hear what's going on around you.(or charging up behind! lol).
As also stated, you do run the risk of missing soft/low deep targets.(not as bad in the US but in the UK a lot of coins from medieval times were cut in halves and quarters (for change) and it's these that give off the very low tones,so for Brit's at least,headphones are a MUST!)

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i guess that i am missing the boat and it has finally cooled of here in oklahoma so i am going out tomorrow to a park that i have hunted quite regularly and give them the test thanks a lot guys for the input suprdave

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
One other thing...it's always advisable to have phones that have adjustable volume control on each ear. :wink:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Using head phones will increase your finds dramatically. Especially if you have a hearing loss. Then you will be able to distinguish between junk(pull tabs) and silver, rings and others keepers over time.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone ever tested to find how much longer batterys last using head fones verses not just curious

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Dave,
Wearing headphones blocks out the outside noise increasing your chances hearing a weak signal.
It will also prolong your battery life.
Do most detectors give off weak and strong signals?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You will increase battery life about 4fold. Why use up all that battery driving the power amplifier in the machine? Also, the EARS are the best device you have to interpret the signals coming from the md. Give them the best chance you can... quality earphones! TTC

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey superdave, I am near Tulsa in Oklahoma. I have hunted several parks in Tulsa and due to traffic you can't even hear your detector without headphones. Get a set. You won't regret it and if you get tired of them, just take them off! Monty

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I suggest you buy a set, and use them on every hunt unless you are detecting really remote and snake-ridden regions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions