OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks, I'll try to get better pics when it finishes blooming. I guess it was just one bulb to start with but now there are 4 bulbs.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the flowers! Can I put in requests for flower pic's? hehehehehehe

My grandmother called it an "appleberry" amyrillis. If I remember correctly, may wanna try google that.
I dug up so many of her bulbs, after she passed, I may have gotten my flowers all mixed up! LOL! ;D

I have the same ones, but a hard time with blooms, but when they do! :o
What you put on them? In the soil I mean.

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Just water and miracle gro. I think we will re-pot it in some organic peat this fall and see how it does next spring. Does anyone know if it will hurt it to separate the bulbs so we can have more then one plant?

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Just water and miracle gro. I think we will re-pot it in some organic peat this fall and see how it does next spring. Does anyone know if it will hurt it to separate the bulbs so we can have more then one plant?
Seperate away! More the merrier.
They should come apart, if they're not all root bound up together. Pull apart with care, when re-potting. I may not have the best advice, as I hafta try to wing it down here. Either everything grows outta control, or not at all. :icon_scratch: Do you know about forcing the bulbs in fridge, making seeds for new plants? Do google yourself some better advice than mine.

I have a few hybrids and other amyrillisses planted outside. When they have made a bunch of babies, crowding each other, and I didn't wanna dig up the whole thing, I sliced them with a knife, to pull the small ones out. But, that can be real tricky, if you don't "know" the plant and how it is.

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
LOL I was born with 2 left feet and no green thumbs so no, I don't "know" the plant. I've got time to research it though.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
LOL I was born with 2 left feet and no green thumbs so no, I don't "know" the plant. I've got time to research it though.
I didn't mean in the biblical sense! LOL! :angel8:

When you had certain plants for 20 years and longer, ya kinda get to "know" them! :hello:

Though, I'd be happy to help ya sex up, those plants! (Oh God, I hope your laughing, too)
This thread could run into to the ground quickly from here, I'm just warning you! LOL! :whip2:

I'm sorry, I shoulda made myself clearer, you can pollinate your amyriliss's, cross pollinate, etc.........
I call it plant sex. Don't ask.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can "force" them to bloom, if you want.

Amaryllis will bloom over and over again - they are cool flowers.

http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningguides/bulbs/planting/ForceAmaryllis.aspx

http://gardening.about.com/od/floweringbulbs/a/Amaryllis.htm

From person experience, you can "force" them to bloom twice a year (I go for spring and Christmas time), without harming the bulb. Any more than that (and some people will do it 3 or 4 times a year) - and I think it doesn't have time to recover as it should. (though, nurseries do it all the time, I just personally wouldn't).

Beth

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Beth,
Like the cops and firemen, what took ya so long to show up! LOL!
They were almost gonna trust me with WORDS, again! Thanks (I can save that bullet)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread