Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the dual field back from repair yesterday. was working a beach out in chest deep water decided only to dig the faint sounds due to so much aluminium just under the surface.got my 83rd Gold ring for the year and a hobo nickel dated 1929 have seen pictures of these nickles and always hoped I would find one. What I have noticed is that you never see any posted on here, unlike GW buttons, Gold coins ect. So am I right that they are hard to find? Looking foward to everyone's input. Thanks

Attachments

• 1438211732311.jpg
    1438211732311.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 1438211752753.jpg
    1438211752753.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
Upvote 32
S

stefen

Thought I'd jump in and add to the discussion.

I've had a Hobo collection for maybe 40 years with somewhere around 350 to 500 coins. Occasionally, I find coins I had rat-holed in my desk or file cabinet, so the count is ever-changing.

Most are Buf/IH nickels with some being dimes, quarters and halves.

Love Tokens also fall in to this same category and are equally collectable.

Its not unusual for the maker to make several, if not hundreds of the same image.

The coin being discussed, in my opinion, is hand made, and may have been made from the coins date up to recent times.

Some coins are initialed by the artist, which is a more recent practice.

Today, coins are being made by hand tooling, by using lasers, and other electric tools.

I'd say that the coin being discussed would be valued around $10 to $20.

Check Ebay for prices and named artists.

There are few vintage originals around so be aware of scams...Let the buyer beware...

Last edited:
OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Stefen but I would still have to agree with the gentleman from hobo nickel society that it appears to be an original

S

stefen

Thanks Stefen but I would still have to agree with the gentleman from hobo nickel society that it appears to be an original

What's nice about TN Forums, is that we can disagree...

And if that is an original, I have his two brothers in my collection...

If you look on Ebay and other sites, you will find that same coin or others that are similar, if not identical...

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Stefen I'd like to see them

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too would like to see other nickels by this artist especially since he is yet to be nicknamed. Thanks.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen , It would be very helpful and informative if you would put up pictures of the "two brothers " in your collection .
As you know- the smallest details in the bowler ribbon , the beard , the collar , the hair etc. are quite significant in
possibly attributing them to a known artist , or at worst cataloging and attributing multiple Hobo Nickels to one artist
even if the identity cannot be ascertained .

Meucci

Aug 8, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that Hobo nickel, I have though they were amazing. Very nice finds!

S

stefen

Sure looks vintage to me--take a look at the known carvers link I posted! Plymouthian, please keep us posted on what you hear from the Society.

Agreed it looks vintage, however it's not possible to determine when it was actually produced unless there is a provenance.

Any coin aeprtist can take a buf coin and duplicate this coin...and it's not possible to determine if it was made around the time the coin was minted or just yesterday.

Since most respondents to this subject are not familiar with Love Tokens or Hobo's, there is certain details that will point to the approximate age of the coin art.

For example this coin shows a darkened beard. This means that the coin is recent vintage...the use of bluing and metal staining is a recent art form.

The person From the Historic site is not capable of determing it's age or if in fact it's an original...unless he can provide a artist name or initials.

Again, visit "Hobo Coins" on eBay and do the research, and revisit it on a frequent basis, and you will find repeat or duplicates, or similar copies. keep track of the sellers and the coins sold.

Any time a seller states the coin being sold for some outrageous price is an original...you will not find any provenance.

it's a sellers scam.

In the last several weeks there has been several listings around $300+, yet no real provenance.

S

stefen

just inserted a search routine for "derby hobo eBay" and up popped four (4) images of bearded Hobo's wearing a derby...

Look further and you will find an exact copy of the subject coin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The darkened beard is from the black sand that our beaches are known for if you look at the top of the derby you will see it black there also most of the buffs we find here have the back in the small lower areas so I don't think it's a newer one

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Casper also hunts this area and can testify to thst

S

stefen

The darkened beard is from the black sand that our beaches are known for if you look at the top of the derby you will see it black there also most of the buffs we find here have the back in the small lower areas so I don't think it's a newer one

You're grasping at straws...do you're research.

I've given you the sources.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're grasping at straws...do you're research.

I've given you the sources.

Stefen, It might be helpful if you simply post a link to the auction coins that you feel are identical as well as posting some pics of the two coins you claim to have that are identical to the OP's coin, no?

OP
OP
plymouthian12

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just know how coins come out of this beach area and don't believe that this one was dyed, I'm still going with what the the guy from hns said I don't know how you by not having the coin can say it was dyed

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stefen , In fairness you really can't say that the O.P. is "grasping at straws" because he makes a credible case for what he believes ,
and for you to suggest that any darkening in the recessed areas of the coin is attributable to bluing/ dying as opposed to natural
patina is in my estimation really a reach. I do hope you will post the aforementioned pictures from your collection .

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might as well put my 5 cents in. I don't think it's an Indian on the obverse, because it looks more like he has an afro !

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen , Thank's for the link ! I looked at every one of those images - not one of them is "an exact copy " (your words) not even close !
I would still like to see the two that you have in your collection .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions