Amazing Hand Forged Ring!!!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
So I am convinced at this is a really really old ring. They weren't always made out of sterling silver, gold and copper. I was dating at a 1890 home site which is rubble now. Over the past 6 months, found some nice items worth a few bucks, and alot of junk. Well I noticed a very large tree up in the woods on the hill about 30 - 40 feet from the home site.

I thought hey this would be a great place to find a cache! Well I think I was close. I detect on the lower side of the tree that faces the home site, and it beeped right up against the tree, about 6 inches from it. This was found at about 4 inches down.

It looks perfectly like a ring to me. It has a round base 3/4 around it, and then a flat rectangle on top, the flat piece curves around it very nicely, it seems to be a little bit bent, but it fits my middle finger perfectly, it doesn't fall off.

My dad says it's a machine part, but I don't think so. What do you all think?

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,683
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,670
  • ring3.jpg
    ring3.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,680
  • ring4.jpg
    ring4.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,668
  • ring5.jpg
    ring5.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,669
Upvote 0

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I wanted to see some cleaned up pics.It looks like it has something on it .... It could be a ring,i think you have small hands :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Nah my fingers are bigger then most ladies I see. About 2 months ago I found a 1960's mood ring with the stone, that thing was HUGE! I have pics if you want to see, this is close to the same size.

I will be cleaning it up tomorrow.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I tried cleaning it up with a wirebrush and it doesn't clean up very well. I don't know what else to do. I thought about soaking in oil or something, but don't want to ruin it.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Detectingfreak said:
Awesome ring! :) Congrats! :) I am wondering if it is a civil war era ring?

Well the house is from 1800's era. So never know, alot of battles were fought in this city.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting find for sure.

My opinion (not worth even 5c) is that a ring would be made out of copper as a minimum and more likely silver or better metal.

In my 1950's landfill site I found this ring of metal which I thought was a copper plumbing item...until I pushed my finger into the center and found the center hollow. It had an ugly greenish cast (see photo) but I still put it into a vinegar aluminum bath. The bath STANK to high heaven and that's when I knew it was SILVER. The green corrosion was from the copper in the soil.

So you never know...clean it up and let's see. I think a vinegar soak will work on iron too...i've done tools and pocket knives that way.

HH joe

Attachments

• Horse ring f sm.jpg
    Horse ring f sm.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 528
  • Horse ring f sm.jpg
    Horse ring f sm.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 525

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D -Rotfl- :D That is real funny !! ;D Sorry that's not a piece of jewelry, lol :D !! It is a Iron Machine part.....giggle ;D

The horse ring is really cool, nice find!! :o

Keep @ it and HH!!

dex378

Dec 1, 2007
Foxboro, Massachussetts
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm thinking that its much too big to be a ring. From the pic it doesn't look like you could close your hand with it on. It looks to me like it could be a piece of a yoke or other oxen tack. Just my opinion, which is usually worthless.... lol

20080310yoke7-1.jpg

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Ok I am going to leave it in vinegar over night and see what happens. The 1960's mood ring I found is about the same size. The top of the ring is bigger then a nickel.

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
You guys have missed the obvious, it doesn't have to be a tractor part OR a ring, it could be both. Think about a tractor with bling, that would be one classy tractor!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
chopper said:
You guys have missed the obvious, it doesn't have to be a tractor part OR a ring, it could be both. Think about a tractor with bling, that would be one classy tractor!

theres your million dollar idea!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread