Amazing what a little silver will do....

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I biked a mile south of my house to a place i've been hunting lately and to my absolute anger found that my enormous pile of iron i'd dug over many previous trips had been STOLEN! It was about $15-$20 worth of iron that i was going to recycle soon. It might not be very much money, but it took more than 10 hours of digging and it sure beats digging a buttload of pennies.

As you can well imagine, i was BEYOND livid. Even after 20 minutes i was still having a hard time concentrating on the hunt because i was so bummed about the iron.

Finally after digging little pieces of garbage here and there, i finally got a great signal on the F2. Suddenly, as i was dejectedly sifting through the plug, a Roman fasces appeared! I had found my first Mercury dime! I re-scanned the hole and to my surprise another coin was down there! It was only a 1941-P wheat penny, but its only my fifth wheat ever. I dug for another 30 minutes or so before i called it quits.

This mercury dime is my first silver coin in 639 days! Too freaking cool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 13

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice merc!, my first silver coin ever was a 43 merc in my brothers yard, I'll never forget that day, you'd swear I won the lottery when it came out

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the first merc brings us all great memories..... congrats!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sucks on the stolen iron but at least you won't have to bike out a couple hundred pounds of iron now. :)

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice merc!, my first silver coin ever was a 43 merc in my brothers yard, I'll never forget that day, you'd swear I won the lottery when it came out

the first merc brings us all great memories..... congrats!

thanks guys :)

That sucks on the stolen iron but at least you won't have to bike out a couple hundred pounds of iron now. :)

oh trust me, i was going to come back with my Dad, AND THE CAR. ;) There was no way i was going to make that many trips on the bike. lol

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats, don't worry about the iron, it really would have to be about 500 pounds to bring 20 bucks.

Two old coins in the same hole is very cool

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, don't worry about the iron, it really would have to be about 500 pounds to bring 20 bucks.

Two old coins in the same hole is very cool

Thanks man.

Last I checked, my recycling company was paying 8¢ per pound. (8¢)(200)=$16!
There was at least 200lbs there. :(

Today's the day! ~Mel Fisher

OldSean

Jan 6, 2012
York, PA
Detector(s) used
White M6, White 6000di
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beware. This is how this addiction starts. Once under your skin your hooked! HH and congrats

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find mostly mercs so have fallen love with them. My very first silver coin was a merc also and I do have to admit I was VERY excited when I saw it in the hole. I had dug quite a lot of clad and was amazed how shiny it was coming out of the ground. I honestly didn't know before digging a silver coin. Hope you find many more in the future.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:icon_flower::blob9::icon_flower: Congrats on your neat Merc! :icon_thumright: I've only dug one Merc, & I grin every time I recall the nasty hard dirt I freed it from, lol.:laughing7: Andi

hikerdude

Jan 31, 2013
Palmdale, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2200 Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty Cool.............. I remember my first Mercury Dime just like it was yesterday.
I was hunting a park and on top a small hill I got a target, 4" deep. When I pulled
the plug, I couldn't believe my eyes. There was the Merc, face up, just lying there.
It had been fifty years since I had seen one. I remember the Mercury Dimes from
my paper route days when I was a kid, back in the 50's. I've dug plenty since, but
it was that first one I remember, when I didn't believe my own eyes.
HH everyone

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on breaking the silver drought. GL&HH!

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great silver Merc find! Hope you find many more!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man.

Last I checked, my recycling company was paying 8¢ per pound. (8¢)(200)=$16!
There was at least 200lbs there. :(

I still have not made it to the scrap yard, I'd be curious how much they pay for rusted iron? Years ago at work we used to scrap when we were doing "roof tear offs" I was the guy on the gang that would take it in to the scrap yard. I got tired of doing it, it was always time consuming and the scrap yards were always a pain in the butt. They had an excuse for everything for paying less. Did you get this price over the phone or did you scrap rusted iron? I have two buckets full of copper and brass, I might hit the yard today, see what they pay? I'm just going by memory, I took in a cast iron boiler with iron radiators from an old house. Almost blew out my shocks and springs on my truck. Quite a few years ago, not even 50 bucks. I'm thinking it was only .04 cents a pound then, maybe I'm stuck in the past, like the old fart I am.

Let me know how you make out, I have thrown out allot of rusted iron since I started doing this, curious to see if it would really be worth messing with? Are you sure your iron was stolen, maybe where this was a public place someone thought that somebody was littering and just cleaned up what they thought was a mess? I bet you take the stuff home from now on and stage it there instead of where ever you were detecting?

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have not made it to the scrap yard, I'd be curious how much they pay for rusted iron? Years ago at work we used to scrap when we were doing "roof tear offs" I was the guy on the gang that would take it in to the scrap yard. I got tired of doing it, it was always time consuming and the scrap yards were always a pain in the butt. They had an excuse for everything for paying less. Did you get this price over the phone or did you scrap rusted iron? I have two buckets full of copper and brass, I might hit the yard today, see what they pay? I'm just going by memory, I took in a cast iron boiler with iron radiators from an old house. Almost blew out my shocks and springs on my truck. Quite a few years ago, not even 50 bucks. I'm thinking it was only .04 cents a pound then, maybe I'm stuck in the past, like the old fart I am.

Let me know how you make out, I have thrown out allot of rusted iron since I started doing this, curious to see if it would really be worth messing with? Are you sure your iron was stolen, maybe where this was a public place someone thought that somebody was littering and just cleaned up what they thought was a mess? I bet you take the stuff home from now on and stage it there instead of where ever you were detecting?

Yes. They take my rusted crap. I dumped a good bit before. My recycling company never tries to pay less for scrap I bring in. They're fair. :)

Good luck on your copper.

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very awesome finds!! Great Merc! I still can't wait for my first Merc too!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job DB! Don't sweat the stolen iron. There's lots of it out there waiting for you and now you're gonna be addicted to digging silver coins instead

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread