Amazon Crew of the Tank Find a Large E.O. at the Jupiter Site!

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Thanks Trez. The link is very illustrative.
My wife and I have traveled all over Europe
and up and down the eastern seaboard checking
out re-creations of 17th century sailing
ships - taking photographs just trying
to get a grasp of just how many
"pieces"
of these vessels that may be out there and
what they may look like
Then and now and it is mind boggling! There has
to be a crap load of more pieces of this vessel yet
to be found!

I have been at this just at this wreck site for over two
decades and it still never ceases to amaze me how much
is still missing. We should be finding scores of these.

I only know of two??? All those crack-pot, arm
chair archaeologists think we aren't interested in or just swim
over these items looking for the gold or silver coins
and bullion.

That is not the case but this side of the story
is seldom told because it is less glamorous....

We I and my crew are pumped!

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Trez - great website. Lots of solid info. Be kinda cool to carve a new Lignum Vitae deadeye for the artifact.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lignum Vitae trees were growing in the florida keys back in the day,i dont know if any are left or not.Lignum Vitae is a very hard wood,stronger than mahogny or oak and maple.Deadeyes at one time were also made out of Elm wood.

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Thanks Fisheye. How great it is to have so many freely contribute their thoughts and expertise. Lignum Vitae is still available although very expensive. Twenty times harder than oak. Shows us how ingenious colonial tradesmen were to be able to drill, carve and configure LV. It is my understanding, although I have never researched it, is that LV has been used as bearing casings, bushings and other incredible mechanical applications. Also shows that only a few things are impervious to the ravages of a relentless marine environment. :read2:

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FISHEYE said:
Lignum Vitae trees were growing in the florida keys back in the day,i dont know if any are left or not.Lignum Vitae is a very hard wood,stronger than mahogny or oak and maple.Deadeyes at one time were also made out of Elm wood.

They still do, there is secluded area of the Keys, known as LIGNUM VITAE KEY
I remember going by it but never stopping.
Cool history on it.

http://www.keyshistory.org/lvk.html

Trez

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
I should maybe start a separate topic but want to ask Captain Dom what he believes is the oldest wood he has found. I am sure that the condition of the wood (toredo damage, rot, etc.) at the time of sinking and how soon and what type of material it was covered with have everything to do with the way it was preserved. Depth and water temps et al. We have all seen the nearly perfect timber coming up from deep cold lakes and ribs from ancient sailing vessels. I would like to know about 1715 fleet, Jupiter wreck, Florida - Carribean. Maybe to much coffee this morning. :coffee2:

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't answer for Dom about the Jupiter shipwreck, but I have uncovered well preserved wood (floorboards & other large timbers) on the 1715 wedge wreck & corrigans, and on the 1618 San Martin wreck. As long as the wood has remained deeply covered with sand or mud, there is a chance it will survive the toredos.

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
We are going to have to get deeper still to get to any major surviving wood
I will expand later... got to go to church.... argh

... its later and I am now filled with the holy spirit so here is what I meant:

OP
OP
capt dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
whoops....! I hit the post button

The natural estuary shoreline contour runs from O feet at where ever the beach has decided to be
to 17 feet - give or take a foot or two. {thank you to those out there that haven't figured this out yet!}

Where ever the hard rock bottom is as close to the surface than that is and always has been subject to
being uncovered {the overburden or sand being moved} by natural forces and storm events on a regular basis.

So, correspondingly wood items - even if in encrustations are highly subject to ravages of a high energy surf
zone. It is when you start to get past 20 feet to 32 feet that a good chance for wood to survive.
{I am talking about from the surface of the water}
Now if you add into the equation scope of waves from storm events - the deeper the hard
bottom is the better chance for wood artifacts to be preserved.

That is at least the way it has been here at Jupiter by the sea.
The reason it is different than the 1715 fleet is because of the added
effects of the outflow created by the estuary itself.

fladiverdown

Aug 23, 2010
Thanks Mad4wrecks and Captain Dom. At this point it may not be the coffee, but a day of sun, water and adult beverages has me wondering what the wood that is discovered / salvaged tells you. Does it reveal any clues that may help identify the vessel? Barring survivors or witnesses accounts is this a viable means of pursuing a course of ID. Did a 17th - 18th century VOC ship use a different type of lumber than a British ship of the line versus a Spanish galleon, etc.? Yeah I know I'm a geek. :read2: :help:

piratediver

Jun 29, 2006
newport, Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of wood can tell you where the ship was built or at least narrow the region down. The Spanish built ships not only in Spain but in the Phillipines and Cuba amongst several other areas, so if you know where your target vessel was built the wood can help confirm or deny the identity. Just one more clue can make the difference.

Pirate Diver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread