Apr 25, 2018
Charleston, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 400
Garrett GTA 1000 (recently deceased)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I’ve got about $150 in Amazon gift cards (I’ll throw in some extra cash if necessary) hanging out and I’m in the long handled sand scoop market. Only problem is that it has to be from Amazon. I’m open to whatever suggestions y’all fine folks have for me. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I’d prefer it to not be aluminum and not have the square dry sand “screen” on the back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd pick up one the the RTG's. They have a great reputation. Last thing u want is a sketchy scoop.

RTG Aluminum Scoop!

Attachments

• BeachShark.jpg
    BeachShark.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 103
I use a quest scoopal. I know I am new but I don't care for aluminum tools.

If you're just hunting the dry sand, just about any of them will work ok. If you're digging wet sand, out in the surf, or rocky/shelly areas, you'll regret getting a cheap scoop. Not much in your price range that I would recommend. Look for ones with a decent amount of gusseting and bracing of the upper panel and where the handle attaches. That is the area most prone to getting cracks and eventual failure.

I use RTG travel model - its just as sturdy as the regular but its easy to pack for travel if you ever need to
I had a stainless sharp lip added to mine

Just buy the best scoop without a handle and then go to the hardware store and get a wooden shovel handle. That's what I did for Mary and it works fine. We only have fresh water around here so not sure if the wood would last in sea water. Something like this:

scoop.jpg

Get this one from RTG.....you have the best of both worlds... light weight for easy handling while working water and wet sand and a heavy duty stainless steel tip for working the rock and gravel beds. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532203953.727363.jpgImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1532203966.890993.jpg

RTG all the way. I have a 6” stainless monster because I use it in freshwater with rocks and sometimes heavy shells at the beach. It weighs about 7lbs so it’s somewhat heavy. If you’re only going to be in sand, I would go with aluminum. The 6” aluminum is only about 4 lbs. if you’re going to be in rocks at all, I would stick with stainless. You don’t want your nice scoop developing cracks over time. Is about 50 bucks more for the stainless. I will be getting an aluminum one at some point for the sandy bottom.

Yea. Buy direct from stavr or rtg or sunspot or any other one they all have distributors or sell direct. No need to use Amazon....

I don’t want to have to go to amazon for everything. Lol.

I’ve got about $150 in Amazon gift cards (I’ll throw in some extra cash if necessary) hanging out and I’m in the long handled sand scoop market. Only problem is that it has to be from Amazon. I’m open to whatever suggestions y’all fine folks have for me. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I’d prefer it to not be aluminum and not have the square dry sand “screen” on the back.

You can get most of what you want from companies by going through Amazon. I do that a lot myself. I have an RTG aluminum five inch scoop and an RTG six inch two piece travel scoop. I've used the five inch in coarse sand and small gravel for about six years now and it's as good as the day I bought it. I just purchased the six inch about two years ago. All my hunting is in the water.

Go to the amazon website and type in the search box “sand scoops for metal detecting” and you will get a ton of options.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back