Amber?

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd assumed all amber was the clear yellow, you know- ants encased in it. Had no clue there was anything else, can't think what else these could be? We'd been picking up these denser pieces for some time. Not positive but the smaller pieces you can shine a light through, the large ones, a light does have effect .Colors vary, ' butterscotch ' through cream through almost brown.

amber group1.jpg amber group2.jpg amber2.jpg amber3.jpg amber4.jpg amber5.jpg amber6.jpg

OP
OP
A

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you! Never knew that- and find it amazing too. How old is amber? To think it retains a pine smell no matter how you have to get it- whoa! Millions of years! Hard to wrap my head around it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
HI again! Hate to be a pest, thought I'd ' report '. Yes, there's a definite piney smell but not what anyone would call ' Eu De Maine Pine Needles Sewed In A Bag For Your Unmentionables Drawer ', Pine. I ended up heating the end of pieces with a lighter, passing it back and forth from a good distance ( careful to not scorch ) because needles kept heating allll the way up and holding them with a cloth or even cork was problematic. This is a weirder smell than I keep seeing described. Between this description and what I read elsewhere it sounds like it should smell like PINE, pine, almost fresh pine tree? It's not- it's A pine smell, definite, just doesn't smell like some just cut down a tree, you know? I suppose not being Baltic Pine could be a difference? Tough to describe, wish I could. Old Pine mulch maybe with a twist of.. ? We have a ton of that around here because there are lot of springs, makes things boggy, fallen Hemlocks- it's a little familiar.

Some pretty light colored pieces were the same plus a few chunks which have these very light colored/white ' things ' ( there's a scientific term ) in them. Will look them up but have to say browsing here beats 100% of what's on the internet elsewhere- and the books. Sincerely wish it were possible to contribute knowledge BACK! Will go poke around the Civil War forum, at least am on solid ground there. :)

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but they look like quartz pebbles to me. A heated pin will penetrate amber. Hold the pin with pliers, get it red hot and poke.

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but they look like quartz pebbles to me. A heated pin will penetrate amber. Hold the pin with pliers, get it red hot and poke.

Yeah, they appear similar a lot of the Quartz we see in the rivers and some streams here and in North Carolina. I believe that piece in the 5th picture down is Petrified Wood.

Frank

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Huntsman and Indian. Water worn quartz and maybe a bit of petrified wood. Raw amber looks much different and will feel very light compared to any other stone. At best one may consider the stones shown carnelian quartz or iron stained quartz river pebbles. Amber is pretty restricted to where it can be found as well, being a fossilized resin, it just does not show up outside of certain localities.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first thought is also quartz. Amber has a light, "plastic" feel to it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Antje

Apr 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I may have 2 different types here although am not at all arguing with anyone. One is dense with a plastic feel, the other yes, could see where quartz would be a suspect. The end of one became a little melty when the lighter became too close.... . Beginners become distracted by internet postings too, another great reason to join something where people have an awful lot of experience. These 2 looked like postings elsewhere and I see where they're not the dense, solid look?

f o1.jpg f o1b.jpg

Upvote 0

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless of the "look" of the material,,,
The 2 above posters which told you to heat a needle and poke the suspect material are TOTALLY correct.

And the weight is another clue as another poster,,, maybe one of the two I mentioned,,said is correct.

Amber has a specific gravity of somewhere around 1.02 to as high as 1.10.
Clue,,, water is 1.0 specific gravity.

The surest way is the heat test.

I am in Pennsylvania also and have never seen any Amber in the "wild" here.

Here are a couple links that might help you.

A Gem of a Mineral Collection

Geographic Occurrence of Amber
and
https://books.google.com/books?id=A...ge&q=Amber collecting in Pennsylvania&f=false

Sayerville, New Jersey seems to be the closest occurrence of this FOSSIL material.

Hope this helps and good luck

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree those are quartz or quartzite . Quartz is also pretty tough stuff and amber doesnt even come close so a little lite scuffing on amber with sand paper will produce clear and evident scuffing whereas quartz/quarzite will require some seriuos effort.by the way what region of pa i am located in central pa .and the " tuscarura quartzite that caps almost all of the ridge and valley regions of pa has that rusty/orangish color and is extremly hard and is found any where you look in this region .feel free to pm me for any info you may need about pa keep digging and finding

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread