American indian artifacts ???

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Im a British collector of mesolithic and neolithic artifacts but come across lots of strange bits and bobs and the other day I bought this blade like object its was in a group of other lithic that I posted photos of . To me id say these items are not european infact id say they look very American and I thought maybe some of you guys could help me out what do you think are they american ? Capture 12.PNG Capture 13.PNG Capture 14.PNG Capture 15.PNG Capture 17.PNG Capture 18.PNG please let me know what you think ? I started thinking america because the drill seems like the types used there . Any help you can give will be very welcome

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
slinky - welcome to the site!

The first piece would blend very easily into many US collections, but to me the rest of them aren't classic US pieces, types, forms or even materials. I could easily be wrong and am just offering my thoughts.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome mate, my 2 cents worth (approx. 1/2 penny LOL), is that the first photo of the blade with base missing, could be American, but probably not from the mid Atlantic coast area. The second photo of the drill in the shape of a cross does not look like material familiar to my area either, and I suspect it and the next two pieces of the same looking material to possibly not be American at all, but other members here may recognize them as something local their areas. The last two photos of the well chipped blade would be the piece I most suspect to ne American. We find material and artifacts around here that look like that, and they usually have spent some time under water to have that darker patina. I look forward to hearing other opinions. Cheers

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!- someone from across the pond! It seems to me we've seen lithic like you show in the first pic of the broken point. Looks like a bit of pink... Hard to see the knapping on that one tho. And I think the whole question boils down to whether we a) have that lithic here in the States and b) the flaking/knapping pattern. Personally, I think it may be a stretch to say that the last piece (the longer drill/blade) could be American. Again, it's a little hard to see the lithic. Could be a jasper, could be a coastal chert, but I'm not sure at all and wouldn't put money on it. Pics 2,3, and 4 are definitely not American in my opinion- taken w/ a grain or two of salt! Thanks for showing- and asking! So great to have an enthusiast from England! Happy Hunting! Yakker (and show us more, when you have the time. We don't have a forum for you guys.)

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking Burrlington Chert on the whiteish ones. The other 2 darker ones could be the same but with creek stain on them.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
slinky - welcome to the site!

The first piece would blend very easily into many US collections, but to me the rest of them aren't classic US pieces, types, forms or even materials. I could easily be wrong and am just offering my thoughts.

that was my thoughts also but take my opinion lightly.....i could be way wrong
the drill forms don't look familiar to me but i only know about items from the upper midwest as i am in north dakota

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
my initial impression was those Sahara lithics that are all over Ebay.

OP
OP
S

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but they dont have a dessert patina or the polishing you get from moving sands . I do have a few british lithics that are from areas that have alot of chalk in the soil and they often have a white ish patina like these but im sure there not British but I be wrong about them not being european but I just thought they looked like American stuff id seen before but im no expert on American lithics thats why I thought id ask you guys that are

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Burrlington Chert and see if you think it is a match

OP
OP
S

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now the same dealer I got the first blade from has this one . he dosnt know any off there history due too them coming from house clearance but all the lithic came from one lot at auction 000.PNG Capture ooo.PNG just hope someone will no this stone and flake scares ?

OP
OP
S

slinky

Greenie
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they may even be Danish broke flint daggers late neolithic early bronze age

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flaking looks old on that piece like Paleo but its quite broken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread