Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

nsm1978

Jan 4, 2013
Hey Brian I'm up if you want to go. I just don't know any sites, plus we have to make sure it's not off limits.

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello,
Sorry for responding so late. I haven't been on in awhile. Pretty new at this myself. Sites are tough to come by that aren't a state or national park which I won't really mess with. What I been trying to find are woods or open area next to a historic site. If there are no trespassing then I don't go on it. Some counties don't allow metal detecting on their parks like union county. Sometimes I will call up a town and see what their policies are. Well let's see what we can come up with.
Brian

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if MDing is allowed, have you tried Monmouth battle field? I'm going to call them in the spring to see if I can.

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is illegal to metal detect in Monmouth battlefield. I am a member of the friends of Monmouth battlefield. There are signs in the park. Do people do it anyway, yes because its so big and there isn't too many staff to patrol. It has been tempting myself to try but I haven't yet.

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get a permit to do it? What town are you from?

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
that is a good question. Probably have to call the department of environmental protection. Lot of the park is considered an archaeological sites so can't metal detect. It would be very difficult to do there. You might and want to find area outside of the park that was part of the original battle.
Im from south Plainfield.

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I'll have to do some research and see what I can find. Do you ever hunt in Monmouth county?

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I haven't yet. Just been staying local by me. I've been trying to get more information of locations in free fold where some of the battle took place that isn't part of the park.

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still researching but there are some places I would like to explore. Places by areas where some american revolution stuff happened

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, let me know if you find anything. I'm gonna start looking too.

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just read an article today about park police about really looking out for people using metal detectors in state Parks especially Monmouth battlefield

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monmouth Battlefield and all the official battlefields in NJ and the rest of the country are off limits. You can lose your equipment and car then be fined or even imprisoned. Not worth it. Some other parks are completely off limits such as Sandy Hook. Then others have a permit system where you can detect all or parts of the parks according to the permit such as Cheesequake.

Check out www.bravodigs.org. If you got involved with this group you would not be allowed to keep any of your finds while hunting with them but you will get a history lesson and help fill in some gaps in the history books. If you are involved with Friends of Monmouth Battlefield I'm surprised you are not aware of them since they are based out of Monmouth Battlefield.

Good luck

NJ

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for info. Do you know if Poricy Park is off limits?

NJHunter

Jan 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's right around the corner from me so I've been trying to find out but I'll have to try contacting them again. I think the owner was killed by the British on his property for holding horses for the continentl army or so,etching like that.

OP
OP
J

jerseysnapper

Jan 6, 2013
South Plainfield, NJ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it is a county park then you want to call the county and ask or if it I'd a town park you need to call them also. I have called and asked and other times I just want to the area and start searching especially if its a local town park. The county ones I'm hesitant to use my MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread