American Silver Found in Switzerland ??!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, :D

Well as usual my brother got me a cool Christmas Gift!! ;D He went to Switzerland this time and found (Purchased) what he thinks is a 1800's Silver Pocket watch ! :o It looks Brand New :o and it is the only watch the Professional, Highly Skilled Swiss Watchsmith could not fix in his whole shop! :o ??? :icon_scratch:

I posted this in the Whatsit forum too but I wanted more people to see it here. :icon_sunny: We don't know about the maker or the watch, we don't even know yet if it is real silver until I test it... If anyone has any information on it please post what you know... :icon_scratch:

I hope everyone had a Blessed Holliday Season, here are some pictures for your enjoyment. ;D

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :wink:

Attachments

• Pocketwatch 001.jpg
    Pocketwatch 001.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 692
  • Pocketwatch 002.jpg
    Pocketwatch 002.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 696
  • Pocketwatch 003.jpg
    Pocketwatch 003.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 683
  • Pocketwatch 004.jpg
    Pocketwatch 004.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 687
  • Pocketwatch 005.jpg
    Pocketwatch 005.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 0
P

pippinwhitepaws

if that serial number is a 15,xxx,xxx the watch is about a 1915.
it looks like a seven jewel. also, is the watch stem wind, stem set?

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That watch is almost exactly the same as the watch I inherited from my grandfather. If you remove the front cover, it should have a blue lever. You move the lever slightly out to set the time. The watch I have also has a train on the back. Nice watch!! HH

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like those ''sidewinder" types . Nice watch !

detector de metales

Oct 12, 2006
Madison, Wisconsin
I had an Elgin Pocket watch once... Wasn't as nice as your's common steal backing and kept wonderful time.. I forgot it and it went thru the wash.. needless to say it didn't survive!

Nice watch

J2

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Below the serial number, at the "6:30" position, and again at the "11:00" position, there appears a combination of letters and numbers that, I believe represent the 'code' of the jewelers who have worked on the watch. That, in turn, might lead you to the owner's name at that time.
Don.....

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
old pocket watches are cool . great find. i found a gold one this year and i think by the serial numbers its about 1899. keep up the good work. willy.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 445
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 442

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
Nice watch. I used to collect pocket watchs seriously about 25 years ago. But got rid of most of them. One of the better ones I had, was a little watch that had a red cross on the face, and the words"Red Cross" with sterling silver case, and was only 7 jewels. It was a ladies lapel watch I believe. I made a deal to sell to a friend in ND, and sent it to him via US postal service. Bad news! It never arrived. Someplace someone may have this? Lesson learned, never send something like this via post office. I had about 70 watchs at one time. On occassion an old timer( now i am one), would tell me about the Elgin pocket watch he had..........." older than 1900". Well that is old, but I believe by 1900 Elgin had made over 13 million pocket watchs. Now, as I do not have my watch books in front of me, and I didnt search the net for info, I will stand corrected on this fiqure. As I admit, and my wife and sons are quick to remind me, I am not an expert on every thing I talk about. One make watch that I did have 2 of was a Howard. Howard was done making watchs by around 1900, and made only around 1 million watchs, give or take. It is not unusual in collecting old pocket watchs, to find a 21 jewel movement in a silveroid case, or maybe a 7 jewel in a 30 yr case. Value depends on qaulity of watch and/or case. Again, as I can see there is knowledgeable watch guys out there, I will stand corrected. The point I am trying to make( yes, I am singing to some choir out there), is that age is not an indicator of rare-ity or value. Another statement of course, that comes under singing to choir. Seems I do a lot of that? But darn guys, I have to have some reason to post, even if its lame. LOL. I did like collecting watchs( and clocks), and still have a few. My wife over the years has bought me numerous pocket watchs, new and old. I still have a hand winder that she bought me over 38 years ago, before we got married.

The elgin watch above, from Swizerland, I dont believe is a lever set. But not having it in my hands, I cant qualify that. But by the era this watch was built, lever sets had went out of style, being replaced by easier to wind, stem wind/stem set. No matter what, old watchs are fun no matter the make, or where you find them. I have bought several on Ebay, none were good deals, just fun to get, as they are types not seen in my part of country. Thanks all for reading my useless banter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread