Americans in Canada

I have never detected in the U.S. yet, but have found my share of those American beauties! In my 18 years, I have found here in Manitoba:

Lots of clad, including 2 of those new gold coloured $1 coins.
Well over a thousand Wheaties including 2 - 1922 (weak date)
About a hundred Indian head pennies (no large cents yet)
17 Buffalo's, 13 V- nickels, 3 Sheild and one Seated half dime.
50 to 100 Franklin and Mercury dimes, around 10 barbers and one Seated dime.
5 or so Washington, 1 flying eagle, and 4 Barber quarters.
1943 Walking half and a 1911 Barber half.
I would love to find some of the early stuff, like the "Flowing hair" type or Colonial coppers (U.S. type). Maybe some day!

Now my question for you, my American friends:
WHAT KIND OF OLD CANADIAN COINS HAVE YOU FOUND OVER THERE?
I would really be interested to hear what you found.
Cheers,
Dave.

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Dave, the best I can do for Can. Coinage is an 1840 BOM HP. All other Can. coinage I've found has been 1950+. Did get an 1874 British HP and several French coins from WWI period as well. Sounds like you've done better at US coinage than a lot of us down here! Keep up the good work!

Attachments

• IMG_5639.JPG
    IMG_5639.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5638.JPG
    IMG_5638.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5637.JPG
    IMG_5637.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
D
New crowd nowadays, and I still would like to know.
I've added more to that total, finally finding an early token(1784 New Jersey copper) in rough shape last fall.
(don't ask how it got in Manitoba!) No U.S. large cents yet.
I didn't start this thread with intentions of bragging, (don't forget this total is from 20 years of heavy detecting)
I truly would like to know how much old Canadian currency ended up in your neck of the woods. Worldwide for that matter. My city was a melting pot, so I have found old coins from many different countries too.
Hope to hear from everybody.
Dave.

ernie

Jun 11, 2004
i live in ogdensburg ny across the stlawrence river from prescott ontario.i have found many large canadian pennys a quite a few of the fishscales many others through the years.

OP
OP
D
Thankyou everyone for your replies, it's nice to see that many Can. coins have made their way into your collections.
Mondak: I'm sure if you google Canadian coins you will find something or check ebay. Your 1866 large cent may be British, since Canada had none for that year. 1933 penny-v.g. 0.25 to x.f. $3.00. 1903H small nickle v.g.$4 to x.f.$30 (if it has no H under the date, then double the value for each grade) 1907 vg$3 to xf$15. 1910 has 2 varieties: holly leaves-vg$3 to xf$15, maple leaves-vg$30 to xf$225. 1913 vg$4 to xf$11. The dime, quarter, and fifty cents are more than likely 4 to 5 times face value.
Maravedis, you will find that early coinage soon I'm sure, but I'll take a relic over a coin anyday! I also would like to hunt in eastern Canada as the history goes back further. Interesting family history you have. My relations aren't linked to the British, rather to the Scotish and Irish fur traders that hooked up with Native Indian women.
Ernie, Keep up the good work!
Hope to see more posts!
Dave.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got these last summer, the 10 cents from sidewalk construction and the penny from a old home.

Attachments

• 1859.jpg
    1859.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Cent.jpg
    1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Cent.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 1918.jpg
    1918.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 230
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 228
J

J.D.

I have been detecting for a few years and get the occassional Canadian coin. The oldest were a '47 Quarter and a '32 penny. The wierd thing is the '32 penny was found in a depth of about an inch along with modern clad U.S. pennies(1990's) I can understand a Queen Elizabeth or possibly a George VI penny in modern circulation, but a George V ? I guess some peple don't pay attention to what they have in their change.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally speaking, the US isn't the place to dig Canadian coinage. Now out east in the colonial areas there are plenty of Brit half pennies and Spanish reales, but just not much from Canada.

I guess most folks don't come down here to lose money ;D

OP
OP
D
Thanks again everyone,
Digginitup, your penny was the second year they were minted under the Province of Canada. prior to that we had bank tokens and British coins.... so nice early find!
J.D. nothing wrong with your finds! I'm sure you'll find more!
Michigan Badger, I could say the same about Canada, about not being the place to dig U.S. coins but they turn up regardless in either country. As we can see by the responses, there already has been some nice old Canadian coins found.
This is interesting, Keep those posts coming!
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread