Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a win, win!

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep trying to find more info on this but it is really hard to come by. For once, it seems like those in the know are keeping their yaps shut.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Any more info on this yet MM? Like you I've got animals and munchkins running around ( or is that amok?) so I haven't set up for any kind of leaching operation (yet) Once I get moved up to the Kingman area the kids (both two and four footed types) won't be a problem.

I know that many of the mines in that area have a high sulphide content in their ore so learning how to do the leaching is going to be high on my to do list.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glycine is better known as aminoacetic acid. It's a low energy non essential amino acid. It's mostly used commercially to make the herbicide glyphosate (Roundup) and as a sweetener in some manufactured drinks.

With a formula of C[SUB]2[/SUB]H[SUB]5[/SUB]NO[SUB]2[/SUB] it's not surprising that aminoacetic acid has a similiar action to the cyanides. Most of the aminoacetic acid produced for commercial use has chlorine as a byproduct of the manufacturing process. (chloroacetic acid is treated with ammonia to produce aminoacetic acid)

Cyanide is not a single substance but is any of the many chemicals with a formula including the CN group. The cyanide used most commonly in mining leaches is hydrocyanic acid (HCN). (methane is treated with ammonia to produce hydrogen cyanide)

If you look at the formulas you will see that the two acids are very similar. Both are poisonous in concentration although hydrogen cyanide is much more so. Aminoacetic acid has a sweet taste that is very attractive to animals and children.

In mining there is no single solution to leaching ores. The large mining companies spend a lot of time customizing their leach processes to work on any particular ore. Leaching is a process because the leachate must be recovered and conditioned to be used again and again. No mining operation just uses a leach and discards it - they would go broke after the first batch. Miners are the original and ultimate recyclers. They all try for 100% recovery and reuse of their leach chemicals.

To understand how critical recovery and recycling is to the leach process you need to study the principles of redox.

Obviously leaching is not as simple as choosing a particular chemical and pouring it over your ore. The greenies would like to have you believe that cyanide is used willy nilly by the mining industry. There have been accidents but cyanide itself is only a poison when living creatures are exposed to the non depleted solutions. In mining the release of cyanide is completely contrary to it's intended use. No mining company wants to lose any cyanide solution in any of it's redox states whether enriched or not.

Aminoacetic acid might be the best choice for leaching some ores. It is not safe around children, animals or clumsy miners. It's just less dangerous than cyanide and in most cases less effective.

Learn more about the basics of leaching gold with redox process leaches.

If it was simple everyone would be doing it in their backyard. :laughing7:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread