An 1855 French DIX and 1909?--1913S Wheat in same hole!!!!!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Guys & Gals!
Today started out a bummer! Pioneer, a local methane gas company came by this morning consulting with me to place a well on my property. No, it's not me whom owns mineral rights so I'm pissed! Can't fight them. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to MD until after 1PM and wasn't really in the frame of mind to concentrate on finding less than great stuff. My first stop was an old school but the ground was hard, the wind was a blowing and I only found two lincolns before scatting from that Hell-hole. I went to a local park and decided right off the bat to ignore anything having to do with pulltabs (Thanks to GreggDFX-my Buddy!) and to concentrate on the really deep targets. Because of trash, I had my 10.5 stock loop in place but it wasn't long before I changed to my new 12 inch Excelerator. I found the 1855 DIX (ten cents) and two wheats (1909?-1913S) almost immediately down 8 inches or so IN THE SAME HOLE! Getting excited, forgetting Pioneer I began working a circle around that hole digging everything. So, I did find some trash but I also found a little hand hammered silver heart trinket @ 10 inches and two more wheats in the 8 inch range along with some trash-clad-modern coins. Anyway, a tough day suddenly got a lot better! Here's a pic or two ---

Thank you for looking-reading this far!
GRB

62qda28.jpg

4mb5e06.jpg

Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: An 1855 DIX and 1909?--1913S Wheat in same hole!!!!!

Nice coins

Slabman

Jan 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT, Quattro, X-Terra, Sovreign, Whites Goldmaster
Re: An 1855 DIX and 1909?--1913S Wheat in same hole!!!!!

Hey GRB,
Nice finds! They come out of Kit Carson? What's an 1855 DIX???
I'll get down your way one of these days, and we'll have a dirt fishin
party! Nice stuff!!
HH Slabman

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Re: An 1855 DIX (ten cents) and 1909?--1913S Wheat in same hole!!!!!

Hey D-Man & Slab-Man!
It's great to be among The Men! :)

Thanks for taking a gander at my meager today wares!

Slabman!
You nailed it! Sure enough I found these things at KC and, in all honesty this was my best day there by far. It's been worked hard but still a lot of trash. I'm concentrating on small sections, working each out before moving over. You're in Colorado Springs, right? Give me a call at 719-859-0101 (Ron) if you ever head this way. It would be fun to meet another MD'ing Dude! :)

**I came back to add:
That 1855 DIX is some sort of copper French coin. I was hoping someone would tell me more about it. It has an eagle on the back?

GRB (but you may call me Ron!)

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
The French coin is a ten centime piece, very common despite its age. It's the size of a half dollar; I got one in a roll of halves from a bank a few months back. Napoleon III is represented on the obverse. The coin can be purchased at my local coin shop for about fifty cents.

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hey Silver!
Thanks for the info. I ran a Google on it and came up with the same conclusion you've stated. Mine is quite worn and battered and is probably only worth half it's stamped value. :) One must wonder how it ended up on the Santa Fe Trail going through Trinidad, Colorado?? It's a mystery unsolved.

GRB

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Great assortment of finds, congrats.
I am glad that detecting made your day better.
Good luck in all your searches!

Smiles!
BDoo

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dix meaning 10 centimes see below for an example of your coin:

http://ventesuroffres.free.fr/images/monnaies/vso/v04/v04_1564.jpg

Makes perfect sense to me. The 1855 would still be in ciculation during WWI, therefore a soldier brought it back as a keep sake (probably kept the earliest date he could find) & lost it with the other 2 coins which just pre-date the end of the War. Mystery solved.

R

RUDY2003

Nice goin' GRB, persistance pays off don't it....
Pulltabs, what pulltabs......
Keep safe...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread