Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monday I was scheduled to attend Track Flagging School. I work for NYC Transit and this course is an annual refresher class. Anyone who may be required to enter upon the Right Of Way, or work on the track way is required to take this course. I plan to retire at the end of the year, so hopefully, this is my last time.

There is a park across the street from the school that has about 3 or 4 acres of lawn that is surrounded by some really old shade trees. The park itself was developed for use as a park in 1929. The School was originally an Elementary School used by the NYC Board of Education, and was built in 1932. I couldn't resist taking a picture of a wood framed house that sits directly across from the park. I ran it's address through Google and it turns out that this house was built in 1925. Now those are some pretty decent dates if you are looking for Silver. Couple that information with the fact that this park was just added to the list of parks we can hunt on our Metal Detecting Permit, in 2016.

After school I began a 4 hour hunt. This park has been hunted or poached over the years. Not a single piece of silver was to be found. As a matter of fact, even the clad was scarce. The search for another pocket of silver continues.
IMG_3962.JPG IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG IMG_3964.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG IMG_3967.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a good looking park. Too bad you didn't find any silver. Oh well, Turn the Page....

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep looking one has got to be there somewhere! I find it amazing sometimes when I go back over a site that I have hit hard and something good turns up.they had to of left one.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you said, it has probably been hit hard in the past. I recently had a similar experience with a 1934 home that had a nice size lot. Just looking at it, it was screaming silver. But after a full day of searching, I didn't turn up so much as a single Wheatie! Oh well, you never know until you try. "On to the next" as they say.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Young man! You know homework comes FIRST, after school! :nono:

About the poaching? Ya see, some just plain feel they are above laws. Laws and rules are for others. Unless, that is, that some law or rule that is broken involves them *as the victims*.

Looks like a rather nice park! You seem to have done well!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Kevin,a lot of those old NYC parks have fill dirt brought in over the years.The trick is always look for any original ground that's still there, that's where the oldies are still reachable.HH

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can check that on off the list. Nice to see that you've been very active.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread