An Amazing Box of Half Dollars Produces 50 Silver Coins!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a really good box of halves today & fully enjoyed taking my time opening it inspecting all the coins. The box had 50 silver halves in all consisting of 2 90% Kennedys & 48 40%. There were 7 enders. 26 rolls had silver coins & a few rolls had 3 to 4 silver coins in them. They add up to 7.8223 oz with a silver value of $238.66. This is another Dream Box.

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice i was happy with my 23 coin box today. Good for you!!!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! Nice to see some of our local banks still have halfs available! I was told that TD cannot order them. Here was my last box about 4 years back!

2006_1129Image0006.JPG

2006_1129Image0011.JPG

2006_1129Image0002.JPG

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I just love the design of those Walking Liberty halves. Too bad I never found any.
Great score, you got so many 40%ers, but I wonder why there are such a discrepancy in the 90% to 40% ratio? I seems like the 1965-1970 halves are not pulled off as fast as 90%. Or people are just unaware of their metal composition?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just love the design of those Walking Liberty halves. Too bad I never found any.
Great score, you got so many 40%ers, but I wonder why there are such a discrepancy in the 90% to 40% ratio? I seems like the 1965-1970 halves are not pulled off as fast as 90%. Or people are just unaware of their metal composition?

Not too long ago when silver was five bucks an ounce the things weren't barely worth keeping, so they've been culled for a shorter period of time (although they were culled in the eighties during the silver spike like all other silver coins). Also even nowadays, as you'll see on the classic posts here about already searched coins producing many 40%ers, maybe people still don't realize silver coins were made after 1964 (as you suggested). Lastly, sometimes 40%ers look more similar to clad halves from the side, so side searchers may miss a portion of them.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Always wished that kind of stuff happened in Canada, so that those 40% would have been my bread and butter. I'm surprised that some people still side search halves. I thought they are big enough to quickly identify the date and sort the silver ones.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many banks even know that There are 40%

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Walkers look so nice! I currently do not own one and I'm resisting the urge to buy one off eBay. I hope to find one soon. Doesn't seem to be any CRHers around where I live. One is bound to turn up somewhere.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Nice to see some of our local banks still have halfs available! I was told that TD cannot order them. Here was my last box about 4 years back!

Four years you could walk into any TD branch and order half boxes. I found my only 1948 Franklin half in a box ordered from a TD branch in downtown Philly while on a conference back in 2008. Now you can't because some greedy a$$es abused the previleges and everyone gets cut off.

OP
OP
T

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Buffboy, do you live on this site? Anyway, I failed to mention I also found 7 proof coins in that box & 1 was 1987S. FYI, it was a Garda box. Speaking of Walking Lib & Franklin halves, I find them all the time. Just yesterday I got a partially gold plated one that had a drilled hole dated 1941. Just about every box produces at least 1 silver coin & I'm rarely skunked. I still can't believe that just last month alone I found 40.4 oz of silver. And I'm off to a good start this month. A box of dimes yesterday gave me 3 Mercs & a '46 Rosey. I'm finding a lot of Buffalos & War nickles too. Good luck & happy hunting!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha, i don't live on this site, just check it often, especially since I have access to a computer all day at work :)
Were the garda rolls black and white? where in NJ do you hunt?

Hey Buffboy, do you live on this site? Anyway, I failed to mention I also found 7 proof coins in that box & 1 was 1987S. FYI, it was a Garda box. Speaking of Walking Lib & Franklin halves, I find them all the time. Just yesterday I got a partially gold plated one that had a drilled hole dated 1941. Just about every box produces at least 1 silver coin & I'm rarely skunked. I still can't believe that just last month alone I found 40.4 oz of silver. And I'm off to a good start this month. A box of dimes yesterday gave me 3 Mercs & a '46 Rosey. I'm finding a lot of Buffalos & War nickles too. Good luck & happy hunting!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I was told by one of the clerks at TD that he saw a very worn Seated Half in the tray not too long ago!

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four years you could walk into any TD branch and order half boxes. I found my only 1948 Franklin half in a box ordered from a TD branch in downtown Philly while on a conference back in 2008. Now you can't because some greedy a$$es abused the previleges and everyone gets cut off.
Your right some guy went to a lot of branches and ordered like 20 boxes from each and the bank found out and stoped all of it. Thats what i was told by a few tellers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread