An amazing hunt with some rare colonial coppers and 1812 relics.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since my last post a week ago, I have managed to get out 3 more times. Most of the fields were seeded and the few that were not had farming equipment placed on them, ready to close my detecting season at any moment. I had to make every minute count and I'm very happy that I did as I have recovered some truly exceptional relics and coins.

One of my favorite finds was an absolutely humongous Lesslie & Sons 2 Pence token 1822 in a stunning condition for a 200 years old copper.
I'm not exaggerating, this thing is huge! Weighing 30 grams and measuring 40 mm in diameter, it's the largest coin to ever be minted for the circulation in Canada. A pretty rare and valuable coin in this condition.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I personally never heard of it and really wasn't expecting to recover such an amazing coin on perhaps my last week-end hunt in the fields this season..Until I discovered my next find which in my eyes is even more stunning and certainly more historically significant.

Montreal British Militia button (1790's-1810's) At 30 mm. it's the largest military button I have ever found.

20190609_200923.jpg 20190610_081647.jpg

The cool thing about it (on top of it being of an early Militia unit and having such a great conservation state for a dug example) is the fact that it was used as a currency in early 1800's. You can notice in the picture of its back that the shank has been cut off and the space flattened in order for the button to be used as a coin,closely matching the size of the British Halfpenny.
"Among soldiers constantly trying to stretch their pay, buttons were a favourite substitute for coins. Typically, the shank was removed from the back and the button was flattened before being placed into circulation".
Being at the same time one of the earliest Canadian tokens and an early military button the examples of it are part of both : The National Currency Collection of the Bank of Canada and The Canadian War Museum collection. It's featured in Charlton Coin Guide and is an other pretty rare and valuable coin/button from the same week-end :headbang:

Found a few other military buttons.

My first War of 1812 US Light Artillery 1st Regiment. Couldn't have asked for a better condition.

20190610_082208.jpg

US Artillery from the same period

20190609_210654.jpg

British officer's Sappers and Miners button - War of 1812

20190610_093524 - Copie.jpg

A beautiful coat sized British Artillery 1830's and a cuff size example.

20190612_211336.jpg 20190613_091518.jpg

Again, 1830's 71st Regiment of foot

20190612_090421.jpg

A few coins. Only two 1837 Lower Canada Halfpennies were in good shape.

20190611_173431.jpg

And an unexpected Flying Eagle 1858 in a way better condition than my previous example.

20190613_084441.jpg

A few nice relics. I really like the old religious pendant encrusted with amethysts or amethyst colored glass.

20190611_173755.jpg 20190607_203711.jpg

And here's the pic of my largest and smallest coin of the week-end side by side.

20190613_085005.jpg

P.S. Added a pic of a Charlton colonial tokens catalogue. Guess what's on its cover? :laughing7:

20190614_150358.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 67
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I could put my detector away for the rest of the year and be satisfied with that one hunt alone...but I wouldn't do that. Now that's a banner hunt right there:thumbsup:

Thanks for your vote villagenut

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's hard to choose one thing to congratulate you on! The condition of your finds is always pretty amazing. That giant large cent is awesome and the coin button militia button is so cool. But then you went and found a bunch of other great stuff! I always look forward to your posts because I know they will have something remarkable!

Thanks xcopperstax. Really glad with the results but wish more of my finds were in a similar conservation state as those ones. Most of my coppers aren't as lucky.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another ridiculous hunt my friend. You’re on the short list of people that I run out of clever things to say to. Your hunts are always top notch!

Thanks man. What's up with your hunts? Haven't seen that silver buckle piece you've mentioned posted...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man. What's up with your hunts? Haven't seen that silver buckle piece you've mentioned posted...

Unfortunately I’ve been dealing with some bad nerve issues in my neck and scapula. The day I found the silver buckle frag I only made it about an hour and a half and that was pretty miserable the whole time. Between that and work I’ve only been that one time. Im in physical therapy right now and I’m getting better. Hopefully in the fall I’ll get to hunt a bunch. I’ll post up the silver frag.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately I’ve been dealing with some bad nerve issues in my neck and scapula. The day I found the silver buckle frag I only made it about an hour and a half and that was pretty miserable the whole time. Between that and work I’ve only been that one time. Im in physical therapy right now and I’m getting better. Hopefully in the fall I’ll get to hunt a bunch. I’ll post up the silver frag.

Sorry to hear that. I've had my own nerve issues as well a few years back, physio-therapy helped big time. Wish you a speedy recovery and hope to see your new posts soon.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Abe: Sorry to hear about the issues with you neck. Back and neck issues seem to be a hazard of the hobby. I messed up my lower back in 2011 and though it would never get better; it took about six-months to turn the corner. Stay positive. Physical therapy helped me to recover immensely. Do whatever makes it better, and avoid anything that makes it worse - simple, obvious advice that can be hard to follow day after day. You'll get there back in the swing of things soon enough. :icon_thumleft:

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite a rare token and in that kind of shape! Ridiculous!!!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Woah Aureus. That is a good year’s worth of amazing finds right there. I appreciate the history on why they took the Shanks off the buttons for trade. My friend found one like that recently so that explains it. Way to go on a big old handful of great finds!!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aureus: Seeing a coin of that size come out of the ground would get your attention. 40mm!!! The size of a GWI button is typical of a huge dandy button at 34mm. That coin is a monster, and it's not every day that you recover a find that appears on the front cover of a catalogue. :headbang:

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for your very informative post. You obviously enjoy doing the research needed to identify your finds. While I will never find anything close to what you did, I learned a lot from your post and am happy for you. The mention of buttons being used as currency is very interesting.

Thanks califteacher. The research to ID the relics is a huge part of the fun in detecting for me personally.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's quite a rare token and in that kind of shape! Ridiculous!!!

Both of them are rare and the condition is out of this world. Couldn't be happier as nothing beats the rare+mint combination.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread