An AWESOME day

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I don't do very well with silver in AZ, so I work on pennies more than anything else. But I still try my hand at dimes, quarters and especially halves from time to time.

Today I went into my W.F. bank to deposit some checks. Not even to pick up any coin. My teller told me that another teller had some money for me. Old coins. Cool. She was at lunch, and back in 7 minutes. I waited. And it was WORTh the wait!

This year so far I have found 4 silver Roosies and 6 silver quarters. Today those numbers changed unimaginatively (is that a word? LOL) The teller got back, opened her drawer, and gave me a roll of dimes. SOLID SILVER. 50 silver dimes, to add to my measly FOUR for the YTD column. Then she pulled out another roll. Solid silver. And another. and another. And ANOTHER!

When she stopped pulling out rolls, she placed $70 of dimes and $10 of quarters in front of me. ALL silver. That's 700 silver dimes! And of those, 5 were Mercury dimes. (Go Freddie!) So my total of silver Roosies goes from 4 to 699! And my silver Mercs goes from zero to 5.

Not to mention my quarters goes from 6 to 46.

I gave her FOUR coupons for free sandwiches at Chick Fil-A, to reward her for saving these for me. She liked that, and I'll get anything else she gets in the future. But this is amazing. I struggle so hard for a dime here and a dime there, and then I get 700 in one day! PLus 40 quarters!

AWESOME!

:-)

Upvote 0

Holmes

Sep 7, 2009
Grand Rapids Michigan
WoW, thats amazing been lurking for awhile, but had to say something to that find i cant even think what that feeling was like as she piled those coins up on the counter!

Congrats on a heck of a find !

~Holmes~

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
So she forks over $800 in silver and you gave her some coupons........ Seems fair?

Chances are the teller did not know they were worth that much or she would have kept them for herself (800 bucks is alot to anyone these days, and nobody is that giving, except maybe family and even that is a bit of a stretch for that much).

If he gave too much of a gift they would know something was up. I think the fact that he gave anything is thoughtful, since the teller seemed like she wanted to give him the coins in the first place.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jim4silver said:
coinmojo said:
So she forks over $800 in silver and you gave her some coupons........ Seems fair?

Chances are the teller did not know they were worth that much or she would have kept them for herself (800 bucks is alot to anyone these days, and nobody is that giving, except maybe family and even that is a bit of a stretch for that much).

If he gave too much of a gift they would know something was up. I think the fact that he gave anything is thoughtful, since the teller seemed like she wanted to give him the coins in the first place.

Jim

If it was an unknowing act which I suspect it was to a degree but she saved them for him. Get more coupons...... Tough position. It's always difficult when they purposely hold them for you because I personally feel she should get a cut. she just gave you a $720 gift actually @ 11 x face it is $800 profit. I'm sorry a couple of free sandwiches just don't cut it. Just saying.... Guess i'm Jealious..... Nice score

Mojo

Cherryman68

Feb 19, 2009
Henderson Tx
Detector(s) used
Whites IV
WOW that's an awesome score! WTG!

I agree with what you did, just enough to say thank and not enough to make her ask why and just keep everything for her self next time. I mean if you get something at a garage sale and make 10 times the purchase price no one wants you to take the seller a part of the money.

If this had happened to me I would have done the same and every time I went back in there I would bring either donut's or a pizza for the entire crew just so the reward is there and then, your not the "coin guy" your the " guy who always brings breakfast." Then more will save you and you could quickly find yourself knee deep in keepers.

I did this at my DUMP bank and now they save me ALL the 09 penny boxes I want.

Either way great score!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
That is a great day. I have never scored dimes like that but I imagine that if you were more rewarding to them their interest would really be peaked. Seems like about the right gift. Nice day there!

Maine_Jim

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Congratulations Jrf! The coupon thing was a fine "thank you". No need to give them "a cut", as I see no reason to make it a business transaction with the teller. :thumbsup:, good luck, Gpurs...

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
coincrazed said:
I'm going to educate ALL the tellers at the bank I'm loyal to on how to find silver. You need to be LOYAL to that bank. I don't care WHAT D'ass has to say. He does NOT know what he's talking about. He is full of hot air. I am hitting the bank tomorrow

Educate those tellers my man! You should tell them how much each coin is worth too! :icon_thumright: Then they'll know that you REALLy want them! You're hitting the bank... I'm hitting BANKS with an S. IMO You're dumb CC. I'm not giving you any advice anymore. Banks do not give a rats ass if you buy from them and other banks too. Everyone here is laughing still, but won't admit it. You look stupid just going to one bank. People that are short on time, money ect; and only hit one bank are one thing. But you're just "loyal". Teach us how to be loyal. Is it go into the bank everyday and tell the tellers how much money silver is worth? You're not gonna get anything if you educate them and you'll just screw yourself again... I'm not trying to come of as an ignorant jerk, but you're just dumb. Sorry. I make $70 in a day hitting many banks and you may pull 5 rosies... Yes you get the occasional roll of rosies but still. Doesn't beat hitting MANY banks... BTW don't call me D'ass... :violent1:

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
EXCELLANT SCORE!!!

Some day my silver day will arrive. Like you silver is far and between here in Upstate NY, So I too hit the pennies. But I am glad to see you hit the silver mother load.

Great Job!
Jason

OP
OP
jrf30

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
This is my third big score this year. First was a BofA that gave me a roll of solid Franklins. She held them back and gave them to me when I came in. Then it was the Midfirst Bank telling me about the old guy that dumped a bunch of old pennies. Turned out that he had taken almost all the wheats (Missed a few) but it also turned out to be 97% copper. So that loaded my copper numbers for the year. Hey, copper is not 10X face, like silver, but copper has done me well too. Now it is the Wells Fargo giving me all these silver dimes and a roll of silver quarters. Which goes to show you. All the banks will get these from time to time. The more banks you work with, the more big scores that come your way.

And I treat EACH bank as if they are my favorite and only bank. NO, I don't tell them that, but i DO have an account with EACH of them, and I know their names, smile when I come in, don't get upset when i miss things, and treat them well. They like me, and are happy to give me things when they come in.

As for the coupons I give when I get something from them ... they give me something that comes from their business. The coins. I give them something that comes from mine. The coupons for free food. And they USE them, so they get some benefit. I find they like that better than donuts or pizza, as they see it as me sharing back with them what i have, as they have just shared with me what they have. So it is good. I even give a coupon or two away at times when I get skunked, if they kept for me a large amount of halves or something they thought was of value to me. And I thank them for it, just like it was a solid roll of silver. Just because it did not work out doesn't mean they didn't give it their best for me. :-) And it shows I appreciate the EFFORT, as much as the silver. Lets them know I care about THEM, not just what they can DO for me.

I have great relationships with lots of tellers, and it is paying off by different ones at different banks all holding the coins for ME. This latest one even wrote my name on the rolls, to make SURE no one else took them. That's what you want in a relationship with your tellers.

And the more the merrier. :-)

For the record - I have 68 banks for pick ups. I don't hit them often, and when I do it is only for 1 box of pennies each, plus any halves they have picked up since my last visit (Which is where I get most of my halves. I don't order very often at all. Just too many skunks out here - 52 of 55 boxes were skunks!) WHy do I pick up so little? I go to more banks, and still get 68 boxes of pennies on one trip. A LONG trip, but one trip. And that gives me more opportunities to get halve taht happened to come in. Plus, when I show up, even though it may have been four weeks since the last time, they still know me, and if anything happens in the gap, they keep things for me. I also have three banks where i pick up 10 boxes of pennies at a time, on a special order, as often as I want. I also get my rare half box orders from these three. Normally I order 10 boxes about once a month from each of these three. So that gives me about 30 boxes a month plus about 68 boxes a month from the others, or just shy of 100 boxes a month. When I work it hard. Some months I have no 10-box orders, and do only 60 boxes or so in that month. On the dump side, I have 3 dump banks, as the dump banks are FINE with whatever I bring in. I go to them about 3 times a week for each one, as I dump from all those other banks, and only in 3 banks.

That's how I got lucky on this score. Treat the tellers right, go to many banks, and keep working it. "The harder I work, the luckier I get". :-)

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
jrf30 said:
That's how I got lucky on this score. Treat the tellers right, go to many banks, and keep working it. "The harder I work, the luckier I get". :-)

I mean no disrespect, and I understand everyones position on you giving the right reward to the teller for "SAVING" those coins for "YOU".
But what are you going to do when that teller finds out that you profited $800 on her kind gesture and you gave her a couple of sandwiches.

Lets talk about that. What do you think her reaction might be.?

Mojo

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
coinmojo said:
jrf30 said:

I mean no disrespect, and I understand everyones position on you giving the right reward to the teller for "SAVING" those coins for "YOU".
But what are you going to do when that teller finds out that you profited $800 on her kind gesture and you gave her a couple of sandwiches.

Lets talk about that. What do you think her reaction might be.?

Mojo

Mojo,

She may never find out. But let's say she is gonna find out someday. If JRF gives the teller a C note for her assistance, she will immediately get suspicious and do some research (maybe ask a friend, etc) and find out. If he gives her the coupons as he did, she will probably feel some appreciation and keep holding stuff for him.

Not all people are going to immediately quantify the coins into present day value like us CRHers and collectors do. For all she knows, he is saving them in a collection and not cashing them in.

Once a teller knows how much silver coins are worth, let's face it, they are gonna keep them for their own benefit or for their family. The longer it takes for this teller, or any teller, to discover what they are worth the better. JRF's "reward" was a balance between doing nothing and looking like a cheap a$$, and going overboard and giving too much, thus making her suspicious and finding out the value of silver and never saving it for JRF again.

Seems like an easy call to me.

How much would you give her if it was you in JRF's position, Mojo?

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread