Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
About a year-year and a half ago I found a very early 18th century patent map of a large area covering several miles north to south of the valley mentioned.
The one nice thing about this map is that it pin-points where early homes where just after the French & Indian war and it shows them to the exact areas where they sat.
When I first found this hand drawn map naturally I was a little more then excited. I investigated the first home shown to the northern most area of the map and after the 2 mile hike through water and underbrush I found it on the knoll drawn on the old map. It is spot on to the exact location of the home.

I have been able to verify the first home to a second map under a different name on the 2nd map for the home site and it is shown on the exact same knoll on both maps but different time periods and different names.
That being said I went on to the next area of land south of the first home site and to the east slightly ( No hiking this time only google earth and map matching). Google earth helped out here a great deal. The area further south of home site #1 is on a spot of land pictured on the old map that matches up perfectly with satellite photos. The rest was a cake walk.

Hop in the car and off on the land owner ship quest. 3 people later and I'm talking to one of the family that owns the land. A friendly decent sort he tells me he will discuss it with his family. This was late fall of 2016 and I could only hope on permission being granted at a later date.
2 weeks later I get a call from the guy and he says I am welcome to meet him there the following morning if I want. Unfortunately it's 2 weeks later and I'm now in South Texas working. I tell him I can be there in April. Fine with him.
Time jump to April 2017. A phone call and I meet him the next morning at the big farm now currently on the site. We talk for about an hour or so about what I do, what he does, and why I'm so interested in his land.
Of course he has no idea anything ever existed there but I'm more then welcome to do as I please only rule is to let him know when I will be there so no one living nearby freaks out.

First photos are of the farm there now and surrounding buildings. Back of the Farm.jpg Barn.jpg Farm.jpg
Three photos of the small early 1800's out buildings and one photo taken from across the far far end of the field.

We discovered this beautiful old sleigh in the bigger barn. A man named James Goold who lived in Albany, NY at the turn of the century was a wagon / sleigh maker. Good chance this is one of his sleighs. Link to James Goold James Goold Co., Albany Coach Manufactory, Jas. Goold, Albany Cutter, Celerity, Albany Sleigh, DeWitt Clinton Train, William D. Goold, Butterfield Overland Mail, Albany, New York - CoachBuilt.com

Sleigh.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention. The patent map listed 3 homes on the property during the French & Indian war. We found 4 !!! (Not to mention the 1840 home there now)
First home site I discovered was (what I believe) the site of a Rev war era and after colonial home. Finds were later period
The finds....
Very first good relic I dug was this crotal bell...

CrotalBell.jpg

Then these buckle pieces

Buckle Dirty.jpg Buckle Clean.jpg

And the 3 best finds from day#1

3 good ones.jpg
A cut KG II , A war of 1812 Eagle button and a beautiful 1875 IH.

Next day I invited my friend Rich and we started a search of the 255 acres for the homes that were once there.
Over the next 3 days we located all 3. Simply a matter of finding the evidence.
All 4 home sites are virgin. If not anyone who searched them in the past left a lot behind.

Rich found these 2 exquisite Spanish reale buttons. He made some other great finds and he'll have to post them when he can.

Reale Buttons.jpg Reale Button.jpg

We only had 4 days to hunt and have only scratched the surface.
My finds included .....

Relics and More.jpg
2 Jews harps, ramrod guide, buckle pieces, possible lead pendants, and a piece of fancy whatisit ?

Buttons.jpg
The usual assortment of buttons.

5.5 KG's.jpg
5.5 KG coppers. 4.5 are KGII's and the top middle is a KGI

2nd Shoe Buckle.jpg
First whole buckle.

And my two favorite finds...

Shoe Buckle Stud Chape.jpg Shoe Buckle Back.jpg Freshly Dug Buckle.jpg
SB-S-C.jpg A complete shoe buckle 1660-1720 stud chape variety
Loved it the moment I saw it in the dirt. And complete is added happiness.
If you are interested I suggest a look at the link to the buckle. A lot of interesting information on it. www.gentlemenoffortune.com

And the final piece....

I had a whisper on the Deus and found this small round object at what had to be 8-9 inches deep...

Chicken.jpg Chicken2.jpg Chicken3.jpg Chicken4.jpg

I believe it is from either a signet ring or wax seal. And is what looks like a bird (or dragon or maybe even Archaeopteryx) within a crest or shield.
I have all names associated with the homes that were on the site and one name is very prominent for the area. I did a quick search and came up with similar family crests associated with that name.

I gave the land owner the eagle button. crotal bell, and several other finds. Told him he is welcome to any finds he wants.

We will have to wait until fall to get back to the fields since planting is going to happen in the following weeks. Last are a front and back of the IH.

IH Front.jpg IH Back.jpg

Thanks for looking ....HH

Upvote 21

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a year-year and a half ago I found a very early 18th century patent map of a large area covering several miles north to south of the valley mentioned.
The one nice thing about this map is that it pin-points where early homes where just after the French & Indian war and it shows them to the exact areas where they sat.
When I first found this hand drawn map naturally I was a little more then excited. I investigated the first home shown to the northern most area of the map and after the 2 mile hike through water and underbrush I found it on the knoll drawn on the old map. It is spot on to the exact location of the home.

I have been able to verify the first home to a second map under a different name on the 2nd map for the home site and it is shown on the exact same knoll on both maps but different time periods and different names.
That being said I went on to the next area of land south of the first home site and to the east slightly ( No hiking this time only google earth and map matching). Google earth helped out here a great deal. The area further south of home site #1 is on a spot of land pictured on the old map that matches up perfectly with satellite photos. The rest was a cake walk.

Hop in the car and off on the land owner ship quest. 3 people later and I'm talking to one of the family that owns the land. A friendly decent sort he tells me he will discuss it with his family. This was late fall of 2016 and I could only hope on permission being granted at a later date.
2 weeks later I get a call from the guy and he says I am welcome to meet him there the following morning if I want. Unfortunately it's 2 weeks later and I'm now in South Texas working. I tell him I can be there in April. Fine with him.
Time jump to April 2017. A phone call and I meet him the next morning at the big farm now currently on the site. We talk for about an hour or so about what I do, what he does, and why I'm so interested in his land.
Of course he has no idea anything ever existed there but I'm more then welcome to do as I please only rule is to let him know when I will be there so no one living nearby freaks out.

First photos are of the farm there now and surrounding buildings. View attachment 1446846 View attachment 1446847 View attachment 1446848
Three photos of the small early 1800's out buildings and one photo taken from across the far far end of the field.

We discovered this beautiful old sleigh in the bigger barn. A man named James Goold who lived in Albany, NY at the turn of the century was a wagon / sleigh maker. Good chance this is one of his sleighs. Link to James Goold James Goold Co., Albany Coach Manufactory, Jas. Goold, Albany Cutter, Celerity, Albany Sleigh, DeWitt Clinton Train, William D. Goold, Butterfield Overland Mail, Albany, New York - CoachBuilt.com

View attachment 1446851

Oh and I forgot to mention. The patent map listed 3 homes on the property during the French & Indian war. We found 4 !!! (Not to mention the 1840 home there now)
First home site I discovered was (what I believe) the site of a Rev war era and after colonial home. Finds were later period
The finds....
Very first good relic I dug was this crotal bell...

View attachment 1446853

Then these buckle pieces

View attachment 1446854 View attachment 1446855

And the 3 best finds from day#1

View attachment 1446857
A cut KG II , A war of 1812 Eagle button and a beautiful 1875 IH.

Next day I invited my friend Rich and we started a search of the 255 acres for the homes that were once there.
Over the next 3 days we located all 3. Simply a matter of finding the evidence.
All 4 home sites are virgin. If not anyone who searched them in the past left a lot behind.

Rich found these 2 exquisite Spanish reale buttons. He made some other great finds and he'll have to post them when he can.

View attachment 1446862 View attachment 1446863

We only had 4 days to hunt and have only scratched the surface.
My finds included .....

View attachment 1446864
2 Jews harps, ramrod guide, buckle pieces, possible lead pendants, and a piece of fancy whatisit ?

View attachment 1446865
The usual assortment of buttons.

View attachment 1446866
5.5 KG coppers. 4.5 are KGII's and the top middle is a KGI

View attachment 1446867
First whole buckle.

And my two favorite finds...

View attachment 1446868 View attachment 1446869 View attachment 1446870
View attachment 1446871 A complete shoe buckle 1660-1720 stud chape variety
Loved it the moment I saw it in the dirt. And complete is added happiness.
If you are interested I suggest a look at the link to the buckle. A lot of interesting information on it. www.gentlemenoffortune.com

And the final piece....

I had a whisper on the Deus and found this small round object at what had to be 8-9 inches deep...

View attachment 1446872 View attachment 1446874 View attachment 1446875 View attachment 1446876

I believe it is from either a signet ring or wax seal. And is what looks like a bird (or dragon or maybe even Archaeopteryx) within a crest or shield.
I have all names associated with the homes that were on the site and one name is very prominent for the area. I did a quick search and came up with similar family crests associated with that name.

I gave the land owner the eagle button. crotal bell, and several other finds. Told him he is welcome to any finds he wants.

We will have to wait until fall to get back to the fields since planting is going to happen in the following weeks. Last are a front and back of the IH.

View attachment 1446877 View attachment 1446879

Thanks for looking ....HH

.....Well done and no doubt you'll be welcome back !
Keep posting ��

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post and a sick assortment of early finds. 4 sites like that will keep you busy for years. Those two complete buckles are incredible and the condition of the KGs is very promising. I can't wait to see your next post :icon_thumright:

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post! Great finds! Nice area, I used to drive through Cherry Valley when I attended Morrisville College ! WTG. Congrats and HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, what a post!!! Congrats on living the dream! :notworthy:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful stud-chape buckle! Just be careful about giving up too much information - I've been very surprised before by the lengths some go to find other people's sites.

Excellent early recoveries

Last edited:

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and a great write up! I enjoyed it. Congrats on everything.

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys for the replies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wonderful stud-chape buckle! Just be careful about giving up too much information - I've been very surprised before by the lengths some go to find other people's sites.

Excellent early recoveries

Yes the world is overstocked with lowlifes who have no morals. I've covered my tracks well.
Thanks for the reply. Plenty still there waiting to be found !
D.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Always nice when the research produces the goods, but correlating a hand drawn map is a different level :thumbsup: I'm sure you've just scratched the surface

This map is so spot on to locations it's like it was drawn last week. I lucked out.

UNERTHEN

Sep 22, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000 with 8", nel sharp, nel sharpshooter. Garrett Ace350 with 8x11 and 4.5 sniper. Garrett at propointer, garrett zlynk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! That's great research. Hope you get to hunt the areas more. Looks like a sweet spot with little to no modern cross contamination. I'd love to watch the layers of finds being brought to surface.

w2cdce

May 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That patent map you found is remarkable !! My name is Chris Campbell and I live in Cherry Valley, NY. The first Campbells moved here in 1740 and my kids are the tenth generation. My background is in surveying and real estate. I worked with Otsego Co. mapping property lines in the eastern side of the county including all of Cherry Valley and Roseboom.
I am an avid history buff with particular interest in Colonial Patents. I know almost everyone in the area and would be happy to help in your treasure quest. I live about one mile north of the light in Cherry Valley. Very best regards, Chris

OP
OP
Derek752

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That patent map you found is remarkable !! My name is Chris Campbell and I live in Cherry Valley, NY. The first Campbells moved here in 1740 and my kids are the tenth generation. My background is in surveying and real estate. I worked with Otsego Co. mapping property lines in the eastern side of the county including all of Cherry Valley and Roseboom.
I am an avid history buff with particular interest in Colonial Patents. I know almost everyone in the area and would be happy to help in your treasure quest. I live about one mile north of the light in Cherry Valley. Very best regards, Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris. I may be in touch with you my next time back in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread