An Hour At The Old Shooting Range

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Managed to get my chores done early, so decided to grab the Garrett and head off to the Old Shooting range, where I used to play as a kid.

It was in use from around 1850 until the early 1900's, so I'm led to believe. Apparently, soldiers were trained there for both the Crimean War, and also WW1.

The skeleton of the place still existed up until the mid 1960's as I remember, then they built modern houses over most of the site. However, the hill that was used as a buffer behind the range is still there (See Pic).

It wasn't long before I launched into a few old bullets, and it's a weird feeling to think that the last person to actually touch them was the guys who loaded them into those old rifles.

I only managed an hour or so before the heavens opened up, but thought I'd share my few meagre finds with you. The piston...? That was down about 8" at the bottom of the hill. Makes you wonder how this stuff gets there!

I intend to have a weekend session on that site soon, I'm sure there's a good bit of history to be dug up there.

Attachments

• DSCF0775.jpg
    DSCF0775.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 603
  • DSCF0777.jpg
    DSCF0777.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a look at the old OS maps from the 1880s, it should be on there. You can try on-line first:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspx

It should date from the early 1860s. As the first rifled bullet started in 1859 with the muzzle loading Enfield. Unless of course you have a smooth ball range (muskets etc), that would be interesting.

OP
OP
Steve_UK

Steve_UK

Dec 5, 2007
Midlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
CRUSADER said:
Have a look at the old OS maps from the 1880s, it should be on there. You can try on-line first:
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspx

It should date from the early 1860s. As the first rifled bullet started in 1859 with the muzzle loading Enfield. Unless of course you have a smooth ball range (muskets etc), that would be interesting.

I got an O/S map of the area from 1902, and it's on there.... along with another nearby firing range which I didn't know existed.

I'll see if I can find an earlier map though..... and thanks! :thumbsup:

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Neat stuff, great finds

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2
I have an old fireing range aswell but i can only go at low tide and its muddy but i always finds about 60-100 each time i go. keep hunting :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread