Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would it be possible to use this forum to compare detectors?

My idea would be for users to make a test garden using 5 dimes, say 2000 or newer dimes and bury them at 2",4",6",8" and 10" and report their findings.

The report would have to include the metal detector make and brand, what the deepest depth the coin was detected, and if it has target Id what the reading was.

The results could be compiled and the averages published in a sticky and people would be able to contribute as long as Treasurenet was up.

I know some people would feel the urge to guess and report what they thought their machine can do, but I think people who where honest in their attempt would out way those who won't take the time to do it right.

There would have to be certain guidelines that would have to be posted in order to make things as even as possible.

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This has been suggested many times and always meets with the same results.

Somebody makes a post and then somebody else chimes in to show his machine deeper and better and then there are loads of posts telling all of us why the two tests were no good.

As the topic progresses Jeff sits in the background ready to hit the delete thread button.

The bottom line is we all have to do our own testing for ourselves.

Badger

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:

Somebody makes a post and then somebody else chimes in to show his machine deeper and better and then there are loads of posts telling all of us why the two tests were no good.

As the topic progresses Jeff sits in the background ready to hit the delete thread button.

Badger

We can always count on you to set us straight.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Badger....

Because of the ground differences, different settings and operator skills, all these tests trying to get a handle on depths is moot.

Besides, most of us are known to stretch the truth....... ;D At least the other guys are.........

T

The.Boomer

I'm with MB on this one. MDs can't be compared since there's way too many variables. IE; just because your detector gets a dime signal at 6 inches where you are that has absolutely no bearing on what a different machine (even if it's the sme brand and model) will do here where I'm at with me operating it. The machines are different. The soil is different. The operators are different. Heck even the coins could be different. The moisture content could be different. The static electricity in the air could be different. and lastly the color of our socks could be different. :wink:

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that was a really bad idea especially if your socks effect your metal detector.

Instead of trying to elevate this forum into something useful it should be left for people to brag.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[size=13pt]Comparing detectors ... not a good idea. Some people in this hobby are just too competitive and believe that the detector they own and use is the best in the world and nothing you will say or do can convince them otherwise.

I use the word hobby because that's what it is, something extra to do in your spare time. Some people are so obsessed with detecting that they feel they must go out each and every day and find as many coins and other objects as they can. Even setting quotas for themselves. That's taking it a bit far and it no longer becomes a hobby. If I ever got to that point I'd seek help of some kind.

It's strange that there is this competitiveness among detectorists because we just own the detector, not the company that made them. I could see company owners going at it, but why should we. We can change brands any time we want. A lot of us use many different brands. I myself have owned and used five different brands and models. They all work great and all do the same thing ... find metal objects.

The best metal detector is the one you own. If you don't like the depth you get with it, get a different one.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Badger hit the nail on the head. It would all come to naught. Heck, I can show you machines right now that will blow the doors off the test, and seem to get the most depth, "with room to spare" on the marked pre-buried targets. The problem is, that once you get "in the field", so too will you find all sorts of other targets, with no ability to tell them apart. Ie.: some do go deeeep, but lack tell-tale TID beyond the first 7" or so.

There's just too many variables. What one person thinks is a repeatable signal, to another will be just a flutter, and vice-versa. Then comes the issues of target separation, soil minerals, halos, etc.... Staged tests don't always result in field differences.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never thought about my socks affecting my detector either. What if I don't use a drier sheet and they have static electricity in them ???

Or...what if I wear those battery powered, warming socks.....does that affect my depth???

Or even...should I wear cotton or synthetic???

So many sock variables...my gosh...I'd have never even begun to consider that :o

So...if it's overcast...what color sock should I wear?

Thanks for that heads up boomer... :thumbsup:

Al

1266x

Greenie
Oct 13, 2008
Berkshire County
Michigan Badger said:

Badger
In theory such a test would be interesting. The many variables that have been mentioned would actually be what made the test a "real world" result that could be used as general barometer to contrast with advertising. It would require enough accurate tests to offset the exaggerations and prevent the stats from being skewed. The thing is, that as much as we would like to do our own testing,there is no way most people could access a large and varied group of detectors to compare. For example in my area, there is only one dealer and he carries one brand.This exactly why people are always inquiring about specific detectors and hoping for honest answers. I am not disagreeing with what has been said in other posts here, as I have seen such" internet bravado" on other camera and weather forums I visit. I just wish that in the interest of increasing our knowledge, that as a group, we can not accomplish this proposal.

OP
OP
Coin Digger

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1266x said:
Michigan Badger said:

Badger
In theory such a test would be interesting. The many variables that have been mentioned would actually be what made the test a "real world" result that could be used as general barometer to contrast with advertising. It would require enough accurate tests to offset the exaggerations and prevent the stats from being skewed. The thing is, that as much as we would like to do our own testing,there is no way most people could access a large and varied group of detectors to compare. For example in my area, there is only one dealer and he carries one brand.This exactly why people are always inquiring about specific detectors and hoping for honest answers. I am not disagreeing with what has been said in other posts here, as I have seen such" internet bravado" on other camera and weather forums I visit. I just wish that in the interest of increasing our knowledge, that as a group, we can not accomplish this proposal.

Thank you for understanding what I was trying to put forward.

The manufacture has to take into account all those variables and level of expertise of the operator so what a better way to test a detector than to introduce all those variables, socks included.

This forum has so many category's I think it could have one more for MD test with a moderator that post the results and can throw out the craziness. You would also have to have posted guidelines for the test. Naturally people are going to fudge there results but I think they could easily be spotted.

After a while I think you would find one detector rise above the others.

aladdin

Mar 1, 2007
All users are the ones that have the ulitimate imput ( MD's are diff) /right wrong or indift. /do your own thing and dig/ dig/ dig !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
19Blockhead64 said:
Would it be possible to use this forum to compare detectors?

My idea would be for users to make a test garden using 5 dimes, say 2000 or newer dimes and bury them at 2",4",6",8" and 10" and report their findings.

The report would have to include the metal detector make and brand, what the deepest depth the coin was detected, and if it has target Id what the reading was.

The results could be compiled and the averages published in a sticky and people would be able to contribute as long as Treasurenet was up.

I know some people would feel the urge to guess and report what they thought their machine can do, but I think people who where honest in their attempt would out way those who won't take the time to do it right.

There would have to be certain guidelines that would have to be posted in order to make things as even as possible.

If members would do what you suggest, it would make a fantastic thread!!

Thank you for your idea. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1266x said:

Welcome to the forum, 1266x! I can guess what type of machine you use. :thumbsup:

-Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions