An Ideal Yard To Start Treasure Hunting In!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, let me tell you a little background about this place. It was in the same family for 4 generations. Built in the late 1890's and has a huge yard that sits next to the Midland Valley railroad tracks. The house came up for sale in 2004 and my parents decided to buy the house.
I went with my parents to look at this place and thought "Oh my gosh, there are treasures waiting in the ground for me here!". As soon as mom and dad moved in, I started tilling up that yard--my dad said it looked like an armidillo had been there! ::) I wasn't very good at digging perfect plugs :wink:, but I did cover all my holes!
My first place to detect in the yard was under the old clothesline--I found lots of buttons and snaps(Lee Unionalls, Round House, United Carr, Wheeler, True Blue), a Barber quarter(1905), buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, 2 old button hooks(?) with floral designs, and 2 thimbles. Next I moved to the old fenceline, a kind of banked up place in the yard(my dad had to redo all the fencing around this place as it was falling down--that was good for me!) This place was something of trial because of all the screw on pop lids! But it was certainly worth it. I would get a good signal, start to did and began finding marbles and old glass beads. I even found a piece of pink flint--did I mention the people that used to own the house were Native Americans? The first metal object in this bank was a Barber dime(1909)! I found old compacts, Pond's cold cream lids, a comb with metal cover, a "Korn" hat creaser(Pat'd June 1917), 12 spoons!, 2 forks--one is a baby fork, butter knife, a badge that says "Union Station, Kansas City, Mo.", lids for salt shakers, a whistle that has athletic looking figures on it, and TOYS--cap gun parts(Troope Safety? on the grips), little jalopy cars, part of a motorcycle, a little brass man with a top hat(he's the green one in the picture). The little cars are made of lead or iron. Next, I moved out along the railroad tracks and found pocket watch part--it has a beautiful bird in flight and scrollwork design on it. It is gold overlay! and has some numbers inside (6258??8). I found a flattened coin that had been smashed by the train.
After this I moved to the old maple tree and found some "Merry Widows" tins--I did not know what these were and wondered why the women(Agnes, Mabel, Beckie) were so happy?! ::) ;D After researching these, I will assume this was the "Romantic" part of the yard :-*!
On the east side of the maple tree was a trash/dump spot where I found 15 old buckles(sash, shoe and belt), another Barber quarter(1908), a token for the "W&F Theatre Bar, 1449 Lawrence, good for 2 1/2 cents in trade". I wrote to W&ET "Ask Mark Parker" and he said it was circa 1911 from Denver, Colorado! Wonder how it got to Pawhuska, Ok?! A small ladies watch, and lots of pieces of other pocket watches. Digging down in the hole where the 1908 Barber quarter was recovered, I found the back of an Apex wrist watch--sterling! There were also lids for ladies face pomades, powder and creams. There was so much stuff, it would be impossible to list it all!
Up by the corner of the house I found a little sterling pocket knife-it has scissors, a file, pick, cork screw, and some blades. It has beautiful designs etched into it. Along the back sidewalk I found over 30 consumer's tax tokens!, a Kwiksolv soap token, a Mason penny(Horeb Chapter No. 63 R.A.M., 1909 Pawhuska), a 1918 Canada penny, 4 V nickels,3 more Barber dimes(1913, 1906, 1907), 45 wheat pennies, 2 Indian head pennies(1890, 1906), and a war nickel(1943).
I have worked this yard four 5 years and still find stuff everytime I detect it! It makes you wonder about the people who used to own the place and why they lost so much! But, I guess having 4 generations and lots of kids would account for that.
My White's Prizm III has certainly had a work-out here! When I thought about telling this story and started looking through all this stuff it almost boggled my mind and I know I didn't list everything. I did take lots of pictures and hope you will enjoy looking at this stuff.
A picture is worth a thousand words anyway, huh?!
Nothing found was worth lots of money but it has been a blast digging all this up! I wish I had listed it on here as I found it each time, but I didn't have a good camera so you're gonna get it all in one shot! I hope I put this in the right section of TreasureNet and if I didn't somebody let me know--enjoy the pics and thanks for looking! sandcreek4

Attachments

• pawhuska10.JPG
    pawhuska10.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 2,823
  • pawhuska19.JPG
    pawhuska19.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,769
  • pawhuska21.JPG
    pawhuska21.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,764
  • pawhuska16.JPG
    pawhuska16.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 2,779
  • pawhuska24.JPG
    pawhuska24.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 2,796
  • pawhuska22.JPG
    pawhuska22.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 2,794
  • pawhuska1.JPG
    pawhuska1.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 2,811
  • pawhuska29.JPG
    pawhuska29.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,817
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
birdman said:
Nice!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o
Thank you, birdman! sandcreek4
al pal 72 said:
Thanks for sharing your story.
Thanks, al pal 72~~~~sandcreek4
camperlee said:
hey great finds worth spending a lot of time at. :thumbsup:
Thank you, camperlee!! sandcreek4

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow....That was an amazing site! I can only dream about finding a great site like that. I know you must have exhausted yourself! Thanks for sharing......the pics are great!

HH,
Moon

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moonshadow said:
Wow....That was an amazing site! I can only dream about finding a great site like that. I know you must have exhausted yourself! Thanks for sharing......the pics are great!

HH,
Moon
Thank you Moon! I have worked this yard for about 5 years and still find stuff in it. I have enough things from this yard to fill three boxes ;D. My dad just tilled up their garden and he found a perfume bottle, marbles and a porcelain doll arm. No telling what's there that the metal detector doesn't pick up. Glad you enjoyed the pictures! Kind regards~~sandcreek4

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow great finds, history and of course story from your side. I would of loved to have been a part of those generations, wow all the women that must of lived there ::) I have a love for buckles, and you have some mighty nice ones there, I keep coming back to have a look at the pics...... marbles are always great, and of course the tokens are fantastic. You can start a collection of knives with what you have found in that yard. Keep up the digging, wonder if a different detector would not give you completely different results and finds, might be worth a try :thumbsup:

God bless
Peter

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pgill said:
Wow great finds, history and of course story from your side. I would of loved to have been a part of those generations, wow all the women that must of lived there ::) I have a love for buckles, and you have some mighty nice ones there, I keep coming back to have a look at the pics...... marbles are always great, and of course the tokens are fantastic. You can start a collection of knives with what you have found in that yard. Keep up the digging, wonder if a different detector would not give you completely different results and finds, might be worth a try :thumbsup:

God bless
Peter
Peter--thank you for your comments. Eventually I would like to get a better detector--something that would pick up deeper depths. Most of the stuff I've found has bee from 2" to 6". There is a place in the yard out by an old maple tree that was either a trash pit or outhouse spot and I finally quit using the detector and just dug because of all the iron nails. I found a barber quarter doing this ;D. I think I'll have my dad make a sifter to try on this area because there's also lots of little glass beads. Another spot in the yard next to a Mimosa(not sure on that spelling) tree has given up a lot of marbles and toy cars--you can tell the kids played here. Some of the coins found in this yard even pre-date our Oklahoma Statehood(1907).
Glad you enjoyed the pictures, Peter!
Kind Regards~~sandcreek4

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Well you surely don't need to hunt anywhere else! I had a nice property like that...I found about 1/2 that amount of stuff. It spoiled me though. Now I'm bored when I'm not finding lots of good stuff. Congrats on the nice finds. You will surely need to make a display of many of the things found there.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
Well you surely don't need to hunt anywhere else! I had a nice property like that...I found about 1/2 that amount of stuff. It spoiled me though. Now I'm bored when I'm not finding lots of good stuff. Congrats on the nice finds. You will surely need to make a display of many of the things found there.
Yeah--it has spoiled me to hunting in other yards! And I still don't think its "hunted out" but I do need a better detector. I have a small display case I put the best stuff in but it needs to be bigger ::). I've tried to keep all the things found in this yard together, because they tell such a story about the people who used to live there.
Thanks for the kind words, cntrydncr!
regards, sandcreek4
stoney56 said:
Boy that's a lot of Okla. tax tokens for one yard. LOL.
BTW, you can borrow my sifter any time.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,31942.0.html
Thanks stoney56! I guess they didn't use many of the tax tokens :icon_scratch:.
Here's a couple of closer shots of the coins/tokens.
Also took some pictures of the doll parts and old pottery pieces I found while digging in the trash pit.
There is a 1909 wheat penny and I swear I can see :tard:a "VDB" along the edge. Its really worn and somewhat corroded, though.
The little knife is sterling silver and the old dog tax is from 1920!
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1070334.JPG
    P1070334.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,393
  • P1070333.JPG
    P1070333.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,409
  • P1070342.JPG
    P1070342.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,415
  • P1070330.JPG
    P1070330.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,422
  • P1070329.JPG
    P1070329.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 1,426
  • P1070328.JPG
    P1070328.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,422
  • P1070326.JPG
    P1070326.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,422
  • P1070325.JPG
    P1070325.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,423
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whitesPA said:
wow what a haul
Thanks whitesPA! It was a haul and as soon as the yard dries out some(we've had a deluge in the last week), I'm gonna start sifting the trash pit again.
I also need to make a probe to find the outhouse spots. I'm sure there was probably more than one, since the house was built in the late 1890's.
Thanks for your comments~~sandcreek4

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
love the marbles, the shooter corkscrew is nice and the marble on the top right is sure different
also the dark red one looks like a brick marble and could be worth a few bucks if it isn't to beat up.
ksmith

P

pippinwhitepaws

fantastic...i am coveting the two pocket knives next to the lipsticks.... ;D

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wheelerite said:
love the marbles, the shooter corkscrew is nice and the marble on the top right is sure different
also the dark red one looks like a brick marble and could be worth a few bucks if it isn't to beat up.
ksmith
wheelrite--the dark red one is a really cool marble----when you look at it (at different angles ) you can see three "rings" and there are little bubbles in it, too. I tried to take some better pics. but they didn't come out very clear.
Thanks for your comments!
kind regards~~sandcreek4

Attachments

• P1070682.JPG
    P1070682.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,052
  • P1070683.JPG
    P1070683.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,046
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
fantastic...i am coveting the two pocket knives next to the lipsticks.... ;D
pippinwhitepaws--You know all the pocket watches ,except for the sterling silver one, aren't any good. The blades are all rusted together :(. I was so happy to find the sterling one with all the little blades/scissors/corkscrew/pick on it. I think that might have been a watch fob or a ladies knife.
Thank you for your comments!
kind regards~~~sandcreek4

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did I miss this? Never mind, I see it now and W :o W!! Sand, you really did a fantastic job finding all of those incredible finds, all in one yard too. Some people have pure luck, and that was you. Congrats!!

:wink: RR

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
try them out but i bet the m glass pluds will fit those glass bottles and bottles are the new craze in the antique shops go to a bigger town amd take them with you and get them priced

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
How did I miss this? Never mind, I see it now and W :o W!! Sand, you really did a fantastic job finding all of those incredible finds, all in one yard too. Some people have pure luck, and that was you. Congrats!!

:wink: RR
That yard was a pure blessing! I dug hole after hole and my dad had bare spots where the grass didn't grow all over it ;D. But he never complained--I think he and mom enjoyed all the stuff I was finding, too. When I started digging up those barber coins, I got pretty excited because I had never found anything older than a wheat penny.
Thank you River Rat for your comments!
Kind regards~~~sandcreek4
olepossum said:
try them out but i bet the m glass pluds will fit those glass bottles and bottles are the new craze in the antique shops go to a bigger town amd take them with you and get them priced
Thanks olepossum! Some of the glass stoppers do fit the bottles! I love digging a target and finding a glass stopper or a marble :wink:.
kind regards~~sandcreek4

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
id love to detect that yard...
great looking finds.... :thumbsup:
Thanks allen! Its been lots of fun to detect!
Kind regards~~sandcreek4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread