An incredible day of hunting! 8 silvers and 44 wheats!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday turned into one of the best silver days I have had in quite a while. If you just want the meat of the story, skip to the third paragraph….

So, all of have our “secret spot” that we have found over the years. My latest one just happens to be a public that nobody else had bothered to hunt. Without details, I can promise that this entire area is truly virgin ground. I began hunting this site at the beginning of last December and I had pulled 18 silvers including a Walking Liberty half and a pile of wheats I haven’t even bothered to count yet. Now, this site is TRAAAAAASHY! Both iron and conductive junk in the ground and trash and large limbs on the surface. Despite all these (common) problems, the area had great potential so I was willing to see what I could find. I put the 6" coil on my Minelab CTX and went to work. Very first find last year was a silver Washington quarter, soon to be followed with wheats, more silver coins and lots of clad. I was even leaving a lot of penny signals that were extremely shallow.

Despite all the surface trash, I just kept working around it, hunting what open ground was available. For a month I never saw another detectorist, and there was never a plug mark in any new section I hunted. I had the entire trash pit to myself, LOL. Now a crew is cleaning the place; removing all the surface junk and scraping the ground level. GREAT! Now I can go back to hunt those hottest spots completely, plus 1 — 3 inches of soil is gone in some areas! So I get there yesterday with a plan of attack. The part they cleared wasn’t the best spot, but it’s clear now and they are actively clearing the #2 spot. I just have to wait for them to finish so I’m not bothering the workers (they don’t people walking around while they drive heavy machines!). As I’m working this first site I look up and there is another guy detecting behind the equipment in the spot I was waiting for!!! In my second best spot!! I will admit jealousy and anger were my emotions. I didn’t interfere, he was there first so I let him have it. It was public grounds but after hunting it alone (except for my hunting partner Evan aka GoneHunting for History) I had come to think of it as MY spot. I was digging a lot coins where I was, including 2 silver Roosevelt dimes, a dog tag, religious medal and wheat cents. I kept seeing the other hunter walk around aimlessly but doing a lot of digging. I couldn’t stop wondering if I had gotten most of it out already or if he was cleaning up on silvers. With much regret I left in the afternoon to pick up my kid from school, the interloper still hard at it. After dropping off at home I raced back to the site. The crew had begun clearing #1 producing spot before I left and I wanted to be the one to get the jump on it.

When I arrived back, the other guy was gone. I had to see if anything was left in the coveted spot! I started the outside edge and began gridding. First target was a wheat at 4 inches…. Huh how did he miss that? Then another wheat beside one of his holes, where he left the pulltab trash he dug there. Even though the ground was scraped, there was still a LOT of iron in the ground. Maybe he couldn’t see these coins. All his trash left was aluminum. Maybe he was just looking for gold? I kept hunting and pulled a missed silver dime (YES!!! I outhunted the interloper!!) More wheats and clad followed until I got a silver dime reading beside a tree. I stuck my Sampson into the ground and it stopped dead. Crap, big tree root, so I moved over and tried to dig. Another big tree root. Checked the target again, yep, still there. Crap. I gotta dig this. I dug and I pried and dug and tunneled and dug some more. Target was still under that @#$%@ root! Put the Garrett Carrot into the hole and got a hit. Digging by hand I saw a brown disc fall out. Picking it up I saw the wheat ears! Finally, I found the target and I felt vindicated it was actually an older coin. I probed again and got another response, another wheat, and another, and then a silver dime (Mercury), another wheat, a rusty disc and another silver (Rosy) and wheat! That disc was a steel wheat cent! No details but I’m confident it was a steel cent just because of it’s parnters. The probe was silent in the hole. Stand up, rescan with the CTX and there is STILL a silver signal, but this one pinpoints a few inches closer to the tree. More cursing at the tree roots but I dig and tunnel some more. Out pops another silver dime (Mercury). I can’t believe this hole, but there are more targets yet. Finally, after all was said and done I had recover 4 silvers (including a Washington quarter!) a steel wheat cent, and 8 copper wheat cents from this one spot.

The sun was getting low but I kept hunting, pulling more clad, more wheats and another silver dime before finishing this spot and moving to the last spot. This place which had given me the most silver, was now much quieter and only gave up a few wheats and only final silver dime. Darkness (and put-off home chores) finally won and I left. But not before I had a total of 8 silvers, 43 wheats, 1 steel wheat and a bunch of clad and minor relics. As the Terminator said, “I will be baaack”.

PS, I have a bunch of the wonderful silver-in-dirt pics but I'm at work right now and don't have the camera. So those will have to be added later.

This is all the wheats, silvers, medal, keys, and toys. Basically, all the good stuff.
14 jan hunt.jpg

The pile of clad (mostly memorial cents)
14 jan clad.jpg

The steel wheat cent (or whats left of it)
14 jan steel.jpg

This was the first "Our lady of the highway" Catholic medal I have found.
14 jan medal.jpg

1959 dog tag from Fort Dodge.
14 jan tag.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 33

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a fantastic day! Way to stick with it even with the interloper. Pocketful of silver is truly awesome and love the medallion. Congrats on some fine digs

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Congrats on the killer silver day!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason that was a fantastic day. Loved the story too but think we would all have better insight if you will include a very detailed map:laughing7:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! What an awesome day!

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely killer hunt Jason. Just awesome. Congrats to you for finding such an amazing spot. I'm driving to oklahoma tomorrow, to see what schools are being worked over. I'll be behind the dirt mover, and I'll wave to you.

*joke*

Skippy

LOL, the early bird gets the worm, or I guess the early swinger gets the silver. Any other time I see someone detecting, I stop and introduce myself. I am friends with a lot of the local hunters because we are generally all friendly. I don't know, this time just kinda rubbed me wrong, it should be generally accepted that you don't go into the middle of an active work site. The minute they leave, it's fair game though!

Very well done. Congrats on the killer silver day!

Thank you!

Jason,

Good pile of silvers for your efforts.

Regards + HH

Bill

That hunt puts me at 26 silvers total for the site!

That's it ?

:P

:)

Wd.

Well, some of us are just easily impressed. :laughing7: We can't all live by the beaches filled with spanish gold and silver. :notworthy: Or.... maybe we can. How much room do you have at your place? :occasion14:

What a great day hunting- Congrats on a fantastic find!:thumbsup:

Thanks!

Looks like a fantastic day! Way to stick with it even with the interloper. Pocketful of silver is truly awesome and love the medallion. Congrats on some fine digs

thanks! I'm sure the other guy is a nice fellow. If I see him again, I'll be friendly. Hell, with what he left behind I would love to hunt behind him.

Congratz! What an awesome day!

Thank you!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason that was a fantastic day. Loved the story too but think we would all have better insight if you will include a very detailed map:laughing7:

Oh, I will! Just as soon as I'm done with the place, I'll post google earth maps and it's history! But only when I'm done!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent hunt Jason, it's great that you have a virgin site.
I had one last year, and then it got visited by at least 6 other swingers.
I just added the CTX to my arsenal, so I'm going to be visiting my old spots again.
Congrats on all your finds.

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver bonanza! I was wondering about the other hunter, did he have the seasoned hunting garb on? (A good MD, pouch, headphones, kneepads, gloves, pinpointer) or just a md 101 and garden digger? Clues like this tell me a lot about the individual hunting and if the latter then no worries. Even how they swing there coil gives big clues. Again congrats on the multiple silver!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dream hunt - Congratulations! :occasion14:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL....

Jason you asked... "how much room do we have"...

Plenty man... come on down.

I will find you a spot... I think I see something right.... over..... there...

digging-holes.gif

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver bonanza! I was wondering about the other hunter, did he have the seasoned hunting garb on? (A good MD, pouch, headphones, kneepads, gloves, pinpointer) or just a md 101 and garden digger? Clues like this tell me a lot about the individual hunting and if the latter then no worries. Even how they swing there coil gives big clues. Again congrats on the multiple silver!

Oh, I have no doubt he was a well seasoned detectorist, but he didn't have accessories. Swinging an old Tesoro and a small hand digger. Not the perfect swing style but I think he knew exactly what he was doing. He may have been specifically looking for gold based on the targets still there and the trash he left.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one sweet site. Congrats on pulling all those keepers. :occasion14: I have searched almost all public lands in a 3 county area. I have been lucky enough to find 2 virgin public sites, one was not around when silver coins were in circulation though. I look forward to your next post.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good for you, you better get back there

jagchaser

Apr 9, 2015
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ctx 3030, XP Deus, Gold Bug 2, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I take it your ground isn't frozen there? Mine is rock solid here. Was thinking about checking out southern KS somewhere if its not frozen yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread