An introduction and a few q?s

rocdoc

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2010
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
An introduction and a few q?'s

Hey guys great to be here! I'm an archaeologist by education, and after working the Alamo with St. Mary's using only metal detectors I was hooked! No we didn't find the water well full of gold, but did find a nice gravel bar. :dontknow: And yes it was all on t.v. No embarrassment there. I'm now in the market for a Whites M6 and need help finding and understand coils. I plan to purchase soon and need a coil that will work in mineral rich salty beaches and dunes of South Padre. The area is littered with trash, and my last detector, a Whites Quantum sang like Willie Nelson the whole time. I need something that does it all. I can forfeit some depth if necessary, but would like to have great discrimination and lastly cover ground. Is the blue max 4x6 DD for me? I'm hoping for some real life experience here. Thanks in advance and glad to be here. :icon_thumright:

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: An introduction and a few q?'s

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it.......your choice of a 4x6 DD coil is great but, it is for very, very trashy areas, looking in between pop tops, cans, and other litter to get down and sniff out rings, coins and other relics. You might get up to 5 inches with this coil on the M6. I use the 6X10 DD style coil and I am very pleased with it so much that it is the best overall coil for my style of detecting. I have never been in an area so trashy that I have not had great target separation with my 6x10DD coil. It should be a great choice for you and plus you will get better depth and good separation also. I coin shoot and relic hunt and sometimes I am kind of lazy, so I do not always dig every signal, only the good good ones, and this coil has performed very well for me. Good luck and let us know what you do, Tim

littletwig

Sep 4, 2008
Magnolia, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, M6, 6x10 DD, 4x6 DD
Re: An introduction and a few q?'s

Hi and Welcome. The 6x10 is by far the most versatile coil for the M6. Light weight, great in trashy area, excellent depth, great in the woods and in heavy undergrowth, neutral boyant so it does well at the beach. Once you put it on, you will seldom take it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread